DirtRoadFabricators Tailgate for my Talon

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
The long wait is over! My DRF Tailgate arrived today, complete with spare wheel/tire mount and Rotopax mount and 2 gal. white water container. The tailgate was wrapped in a new moving blanket and then shrink-wrapped with the fastening hardware and Rotopax nested inside. All in all, it was well protected. Here's a few shots of the unwrapped unit sitting on the tailgate of my truck pre-installation.

IMG 2054
IMG 2056

Mounting was pretty straightforward. There was a bit of futzing to get the back half of the clamps positioned on the roll cage. It required loosening the inside bed wall and prying it away from the cage but was no big deal. I opted for the option to brace against my Honda factory steel bumper. There was nothing in the instructions that addressed this. But if you're at all mechanically inclined it should present no real problem. Here are a few shots of the tailgate mounted with the Rotopax in place. Some of the shots have no spare mounted, some do. (the spare is just one of my stock front wheels/tires, as I haven't purchased another beadlock and Tensor Regulator tire yet)

IMG 2066
IMG 2068

IMG 2061

I am absolutely knocked out by the build quality of this tailgate. Welds are extremely well-done. Powder coating is top notch. I love that it swings open and I love the expanded steel bottom which affords more storage space. The spare mount is nice too. Yes, it's expensive and the lead-time is long. But, trust me, it's worth the wait (and the money). This substantially increases my carrying capacity, which is exactly what I was looking for. Little by little I'm getting this unit ready for some Arizona backcountry fun in late October. The Rotopax fuel cells I show mounted are only 1 gal. each, as they came off of my Yamaha Grizzly. I've got new 2 gal. units arriving Thursday, which will give me a total of 11+ gallons available on the trail (well over 200 miles worth). Eventually, I'll buy another beadlock and Tensor for the spare, but it's going to have to wait until my bank account heals up a little.

BOTTOM LINE: DirtRoadFabrication.com - Highly impressed. Would buy again. Highly recommend.

Steve

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The long wait is over! My DRF Tailgate arrived today, complete with spare wheel/tire mount and Rotopax mount and 2 gal. white water container. The tailgate was wrapped in a new moving blanket and then shrink-wrapped with the fastening hardware and Rotopax nested inside. All in all, it was well protected. Here's a few shots of the unwrapped unit sitting on the tailgate of my truck pre-installation.

View attachment 331571 View attachment 331572

Mounting was pretty straightforward. There was a bit of futzing to get the back half of the clamps positioned on the roll cage. It required loosening the inside bed wall and prying it away from the cage but was no big deal. I opted for the option to brace against my Honda factory steel bumper. There was nothing in the instructions that addressed this. But if you're at all mechanically inclined it should present no real problem. Here are a few shots of the tailgate mounted with the Rotopax in place. Some of the shots have no spare mounted, some do. (the spare is just one of my stock front wheels/tires, as I haven't purchased another beadlock and Tensor Regulator tire yet)

View attachment 331577 View attachment 331579

View attachment 331576

I am absolutely knocked out by the build quality of this tailgate. Welds are extremely well-done. Powder coating is top notch. I love that it swings open and I love the expanded steel bottom which affords more storage space. The spare mount is nice too. Yes, it's expensive and the lead-time is long. But, trust me, it's worth the wait (and the money). This substantially increases my carrying capacity, which is exactly what I was looking for. Little by little I'm getting this unit ready for some Arizona backcountry fun in late October. The Rotopax fuel cells I show mounted are only 1 gal. each, as they came off of my Yamaha Grizzly. I've got new 2 gal. units arriving Thursday, which will give me a total of 11+ gallons available on the trail (well over 200 miles worth). Eventually, I'll buy another beadlock and Tensor for the spare, but it's going to have to wait until my bank account heals up a little.

BOTTOM LINE: DirtRoadFabrication.com - Highly impressed. Would buy again. Highly recommend.

Steve

(Edit: I have NO idea why these pics are duplicated below. I've tried to delete them, but they keep reappearing. View attachment 331574 View attachment 331575 View attachment 331578
I learned that after deleting the actual photo, I also have to click on the trash barrel icon in the corner of the thumbnail at the bottom of the edit window. If you don’t delete it, you didn’t delete the photo.

Wish I had ordered the expanded steel bottom but wasn’t aware of it until later.

TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Picked mine up in November, from DRF in Utah, then picked up my new Talon the next day in San Diego (I ordered the DRF bumper 14 weeks before I bought the Talon and spent that whole time finding one).

The unit is absolutely first rate. It improves several things (weight distribution, storage, fuel capacity, spare tire, rear bumper, bed access) in one unit that does a much better job--and ultimately less expensive--than addressing each of those items separately.

The unit is beautifully fabricated and welded and comes powder coated in your choice of colors, and DRF is a pleasure to deal with.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
More info and pics on the DRF bed extender for those interested.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got mine unpacked and installed today, the quality extends to the packaging. It was obviously handled quite roughly by the shipper but emerged unscathed. On the build quality my opinion is the same as others, this guy has both the talent and desire to produce a superior product. If i could make one suggestion, i would use shorter bolts to mount the spare. When using a stock front wheel with the stock nuts, the acorn part of the nut gets deformed if you choose to not cut the bolts back. Very impressed.

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Got mine on a little over a week ago and very happy with it so far, as really do appreciate the extra space and usable tailgate. Can fit the packout boxes with room for a backpack and more. I was going to get someone local to fabricate something a little bigger, but there's value sometimes in buying off the shelf from someone who's gotten multiple good references.

I reused the shipping tubing shipping protection on the top bar, since I'll often put longer tools, etc. over it.

IMG 4497
IMG 4463 3
IMG 4500

IMG 4499

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This add-on design has me thinking of going back to a talon. I had issues with bed room on that machine and was one of the reasons it didn’t work for us.
It’s not as wide as a utility SXS bed but so far so good. I got the 4 seater and have also used the back seats for cargo and storage. Going to remove the seats and put a deck for dogs/cargo/misc.

Since the majority of my use is accessing hiking and hunting area, so trail reliability and comfort were a priority. So far I’ve found it doable to add utility to this sport machine vs try to add sport to a utility machine. The roof rack helps too.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!