P500 Disappearing oil

W

wizardoforange

Jun 21, 2017
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
After a recent ride (70 miles, rough and steep mountain terrain) I was two quarts low on oil. I’m wondering where it went. I’ll list all the facts I can below and see what you guys can come up with.

1. 2017 Honda Pioneer 500 with 4735 miles, no issues whatsoever until this.
2. Changed my own oil and oil filter, and cleaned/oiled my air filter about 200 miles ago; torqued drain plug to 18 ft-lb and oil filter housing to 9 ft-lb.
3. Checked oil prior to last ride and it was at the top of the cross-hatches on the dipstick.
4. During the last ride, I heard a bit of clatter at times and also heard noises that sounded similar to muffled backfires, especially when when engine braking was occurring downhill, when shifting into a lower gear, or when traveling at lower speeds on flat ground in 5th. The engine also felt hesitant and sputtery (for lack of better words) for brief periods.
5. Returned home from last ride and checked oil due to #4, above. Had to add two quarts.
6. Temperature gauge sat at 2/5 bars the whole time (where it always does).
7. No smoke from exhaust nor any petroleum scent.
8. No oil underneath machine in my garage, none on top of the skid plates, none around filter housing, no oily feeling around drain plug, and no oil found in air filter housing box.
9. Took it to local Honda place where they changed oil and filter, serviced air filter, adjusted valves, and installed new drain plug with Helicoil. I was told the valves were pretty far out of adjustment, and that the aluminum around the drain plug was pretty chewed up.
10. Owner of Honda place suggested that oil probably leaked out around drain plug threads due to viscosity decrease when warm coupled with poor state of threads, and/or was expelled thru valves.
11. Machine (so far) sounds, feels and drives perfectly now.
12. Honda shop owner used Honda 10-40 for oil change, but suggested I keep Honda 20-50 with me in case of emergency use on the trail.

Where do you think this oil went? I’m skeptical of the Honda shop’s explanation because there was no visible evidence of leaking, and because there was no smoking or petroleum smell. And, do you think I have damaged my ride? Two quarts is a lot of oil to go wherever it went and as fast as it went.

Reactions: Mudder and Chooglin
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Humm.
Idk. I say document it and fill her back up. Checking oil every 30 miles or so and see what you have.

The 500's have been fairly strong. And you said the valves were "way off". That too is outside the norm.

Well. Report back next 30 miles on oil level.
Pray it's good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Any update as i I'm having the same problem with my 2017 with 5000 Km...
I had to top mine up twice about 3/4 of a qt and still have about 400 km till next oil change,and oil looks black,no smoke.
I do mix riding fire roads and trails and run most speeds to 40 to 50 kph...I also do a lot of riding so my oil changes are more frequent like once a month...
Thinking of changing my oil even though i still have 400 km till oil change.
Wondering if changing to T6 would help...

Reactions: Mudder and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Any update as i I'm having the same problem with my 2017 with 5000 Km...
I had to top mine up twice about 3/4 of a qt and still have about 400 km till next oil change,and oil looks black,no smoke.
I do mix riding fire roads and trails and run most speeds to 40 to 50 kph...I also do a lot of riding so my oil changes are more frequent like once a month...
Thinking of changing my oil even though i still have 400 km till oil change.
Wondering if changing to T6 would help...
Mine seems to be using a touch...maybe a quart between changes. Just under 3000 miles.
Another member and i (whose name escapes me at the moment) have noted that our 500's seem to use some oil during rides with a lot of engine braking. This makes me think the valve seals are the source. I may do them at some point just to see. I do get a little burning oil smell in the exhaust...but it's honestly always had that, even when it used no oil.

Seems like I see a realitively high number of 500's that do this. Including the ATVs with the same engine. You see an occasional 700 with the issue, but it seems like they end up having been sunk at some point. My 700 went just under 9000 miles with no oil use, but it seems the 500 just doesn't have that type of longevity.

Oh...and I am using T6.

Reactions: Rustneversleeps
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Pull the plug to see if its black or white. Whats the exhaust like, any smoke or soot? Remove the muffler clean out bolt to blow it out?

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I believe this is a characteristic of the 500 engine. Mine would go through some oil after it had a couple thousand miles. After it's fully warmed up, let it idle for about 5 minutes. Then stand behind the machine and have someone punch the throttle. I bet you'll see a puff of smoke. Mine would also make a puff of smoke after descending a long hill while engine braking. Get back on the gas at the bottom of the hill and it would puff some smoke.

It also seems to consume more 300 or 400 miles after an oil change, after the oil has broken down some. Right after an oil change, the consumption didn't seem to be as noticeable. Keep in mind, I never got too scientific about it - this is just stuff I noticed.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It also seems to consume more 300 or 400 miles after an oil change, after the oil has broken down some. Right after an oil change, the consumption didn't seem to be as noticeable. Keep in mind, I never got too scientific about it - this is just stuff I noticed.
I've noticed it seems to do this as well.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Hum... If me, I would do a complete maintenance myself and go though everything mentioned above. When doing so, pay close attention to get the oil filter in correct as well as the air filter to ensure it is not burping oil up through it and go ride it and checking it along the way as well as looking for problem areas...

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
My strategy, if doing a lot of engine braking check the oil. If low add some.

Change the oil when the dash tells me to and sleep like a baby between oil changes.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My strategy, if doing a lot of engine braking check the oil. If low add some.

Change the oil when the dash tells me to and sleep like a baby between oil changes.
We can't all be you, @lee...

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!