P1000 DIY doors and cab enclosure

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I wanted a cab enclosure but from what I read most of the soft versions wasn't that impressive for the cost so I decided why not build my own. I started by building full front doors. I used 1/2" conduit for frame, would use 3/4" if I did another set. More rigid, covered outside higher up than factory doors with aluminum coil stock wrapped with black matte vinyl, put factory panels on, used 1/4" insulation then covered inside with pvc sheathing, 1/8". Used factory latch mounted on 3/16" aluminum plate, pipe insulation around window opening, fastened snaps around window frame and used 30 ga double clear vinyl for the window. The back sides I put snaps across the top and Velcro on the door, bottom needed to be where it could remove easy to open door, the back I want to be able to you my tailgate extender so it is attached with snaps across the top and velcros to the side panels following the back seats to the floor of the bed. Will find out today if and what I need to address. Would love to add zippers in the front but I'm not brace enough to attempt that one yet. Cost so far will be approximately 150$ But had most of what was needed for front doors.

IMG 1772 IMG 1773

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I wanted a cab enclosure but from what I read most of the soft versions wasn't that impressive for the cost so I decided why not build my own. I started by building full front doors. I used 1/2" conduit for frame, would use 3/4" if I did another set. More rigid, covered outside higher up than factory doors with aluminum coil stock wrapped with black matte vinyl, put factory panels on, used 1/4" insulation then covered inside with pvc sheathing, 1/8". Used factory latch mounted on 3/16" aluminum plate, pipe insulation around window opening, fastened snaps around window frame and used 30 ga double clear vinyl for the window. The back sides I put snaps across the top and Velcro on the door, bottom needed to be where it could remove easy to open door, the back I want to be able to you my tailgate extender so it is attached with snaps across the top and velcros to the side panels following the back seats to the floor of the bed. Will find out today if and what I need to address. Would love to add zippers in the front but I'm not brace enough to attempt that one yet. Cost so far will be approximately 150$ But had most of what was needed for front doors.

View attachment 101012 View attachment 101013
Don't mind the pull floaty. Wife doesn't like the wind and rain finding it's way in around the openings so I used what I had.

Reactions: BWAF
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
The pictures are little difficult to see so may be a possible repost in the am or it may be my computer :) Either way, I applaud the effort and it looks like something other pioneer owners will try on their machines.... very nice work!

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The pictures are little difficult to see so may be a possible repost in the am or it may be my computer :) Either way, I applaud the effort and it looks like something other pioneer owners will try on their machines.... very nice work!
Thank you. I am a broke pioneer owner that enjoys making my own accessories when I can. I figure there are a lot of people on here helping with info and ideas that we could get this better than I have and possibly cheaper. I will suggest buying a clear table cloth for first run for fit and finish before cutting the final vinyl.

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
As far as pictures I will try to get some outside today and repost. Maybe they will be better.

Reactions: Rambo and BWAF
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looking really good.

Reactions: O2bsmitty
O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Update. The enclosure worked great. Gonna try to find someone that can put zippers in for windows and there's a few minor tweaks to be made. Will get some more pictures posted.

Reactions: BigOL3
O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Didn't get the outside pics yesterday. It's the blue cans fault. The back side panels are fastened to the door with heavy duty 1" strips of Velcro. I need to shorten the back pc by a couple inches, when you peel it to open the door it wants to recatch so cutting it a couple inches shorter should eliminate that. Also 30 ga vinyl is a little stiff to get in and out of the back seats. But stiff enough the wind doesn't bother it at 50mph. (Hit a blacktop just to test it out). Over all happy with it and I believe it will work fine.

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well ya all my riding and everything else for that matter took an abrupt no go so doubt I get to use the cab like I wanted. Had an idea to try to fight a chainsaw. After a rebuilt eye socket, titanium cheek and over 200 stitches the eye Doc has me on a pretty tight leash. Thank the good lord All is going well so far just confined to doing literally NOTHING and I'm going nuts. One can only watch so much tv. Lol. Also I found out my guardian angels are now playing rock, paper, scissors to figure out who has to watch me each day.

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Dude that sucks do what the doc says .Hang in there

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
I'm am for most part. Got a chance to save my eye so trust me I am. I'm not one to sit around when I'm sick and I feel perfectly fine and am supposed to be face down (preferred by doc) or on my side ( accepted by doc) for 3 weeks. Not complaining , yeah guess I am. Lol). I guess I need to look around. There is always someone worse off

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well ya all my riding and everything else for that matter took an abrupt no go so doubt I get to use the cab like I wanted. Had an idea to try to fight a chainsaw. After a rebuilt eye socket, titanium cheek and over 200 stitches the eye Doc has me on a pretty tight leash. Thank the good lord All is going well so far just confined to doing literally NOTHING and I'm going nuts. One can only watch so much tv. Lol. Also I found out my guardian angels are now playing rock, paper, scissors to figure out who has to watch me each day.
Dang man...hoping for a speedy recovery for ya!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm am for most part. Got a chance to save my eye so trust me I am. I'm not one to sit around when I'm sick and I feel perfectly fine and am supposed to be face down (preferred by doc) or on my side ( accepted by doc) for 3 weeks. Not complaining , yeah guess I am. Lol). I guess I need to look around. There is always someone worse off
Sorry to hear!!! You’d best suck it up for three weeks and get face down. The doc probably has some experience with this. Good luck.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Man that’s bad news! I’m so sorry to hear that!! Hope you’re doing as well as possible in that situation keep us updated I’m really sorry that happened

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!