BOX1

P1000 DIY Skid Plate & Roof?

N

njstang87

Jan 8, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We will be getting our P1000-5 in a few weeks and I am tossing around the idea of building a skid plate and roof for our machine. I have sourced a 4' X 8' sheet of UHMW and thought about going with an aluminum roof. Has anyone built either one for their machine?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
We will be getting our P1000-5 in a few weeks and I am tossing around the idea of building a skid plate and roof for our machine. I have sourced a 4' X 8' sheet of UHMW and thought about going with an aluminum roof. Has anyone built either one for their machine?
Yes! Roof is fairly simple, and The skid is too!!!
There's a member here that made a cad & PDF for the skids. Look it up on the search bar. You can email them and ask for a copy. I made my own skid out of aluminum (couldn't find UHMW cheap enough) and I love it!!

N

njstang87

Jan 8, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yes! Roof is fairly simple, and The skid is too!!!
There's a member here that made a cad & PDF for the skids. Look it up on the search bar. You can email them and ask for a copy. I made my own skid out of aluminum (couldn't find UHMW cheap enough) and I love it!!

I was quoted $283 for a 4 X 8 sheet of 3/8 UHMW (I think I'm going to go with 1/2" after reading a few other posts. I'm not opposed to using aluminum but it seems people liked the UHMW better and I want to keep my family safe as possible. Thanks for the heads up on the CAD file.

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
N

njstang87

Jan 8, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You will need a 5x10 sheet if you want a full 1 piece skid.

Thanks for the heads up. The few I've looked at seem to be 3 or 4 pieces. Would you recommend the one-piece if I can make it work?

Reactions: JenElio
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the heads up. The few I've looked at seem to be 3 or 4 pieces. Would you recommend the one-piece if I can make it work?
1 piece is definitely better. Ive had a 1 piece 1/2" skid on my first machine and a trailer armor skid on the second. I like the 1 piece a lot better. Definitely go 1/2" thick

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I was quoted $283 for a 4 X 8 sheet of 3/8 UHMW (I think I'm going to go with 1/2" after reading a few other posts. I'm not opposed to using aluminum but it seems people liked the UHMW better and I want to keep my family safe as possible. Thanks for the heads up on the CAD file.
That's a good price! When I was searching I couldn't find anything under $400 + shipping. So I went with 1/4" aluminum @ $200 for a 5x10 sheet 20 minutes from my house. Been happy with it so far, I don't ride on rocks much mainly mud. But still wanted to protect it regardless.
Try to price a 5x10 sheet, you can do at least the center in one pc. Then add side/rocker protection also.
20200520 230435

I can't find pics of the final product with all drain holes and bends but you get the idea (this was off of the PDF template)
20200519 221442

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
N

njstang87

Jan 8, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's a good price! When I was searching I couldn't find anything under $400 + shipping. So I went with 1/4" aluminum @ $200 for a 5x10 sheet 20 minutes from my house. Been happy with it so far, I don't ride on rocks much mainly mud. But still wanted to protect it regardless.
Try to price a 5x10 sheet, you can do at least the center in one pc. Then add side/rocker protection also.
View attachment 250406
I can't find pics of the final product with all drain holes and bends but you get the idea (this was off of the PDF template)
View attachment 250407
The aluminum looks nice. Great job!

Reactions: TripleB and JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The aluminum looks nice. Great job!
Thanks! Ideally I would've gone the UHMW but it just wasn't in the budget at the time. Almost a year with the aluminum and its taken a few good hits up in the Tennessee mountains, no complaints on my end.

Reactions: TripleB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!