JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So I know most of you out there that have skid plates have uhmw. I know some of the pros/cons on both but I wanted to get some real world use input on steel/aluminum/uhmw plates. I may have access to a CNC to cut out a one piece plate. But I want to decide on material. Most of the trails I ride aren't rocky or full of sticks but I do want to protect the underside. Reason I'm considering steel vs uhmw is also $$, I can get a sheet of flat/diamond plate steel for about $100, uhmw is about $400.
YAY OR NAY

Thanks for any input.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So I know most of you out there that have skid plates have uhmw. I know some of the pros/cons on both but I wanted to get some real world use input on steel/aluminum/uhmw plates. I may have access to a CNC to cut out a one piece plate. But I want to decide on material. Most of the trails I ride aren't rocky or full of sticks but I do want to protect the underside. Reason I'm considering steel vs uhmw is also $$, I can get a sheet of flat/diamond plate steel for about $100, uhmw is about $400.
YAY OR NAY

Thanks for any input.
I’ve had aluminum since 16’ and beat the living crap out of it and it’s sled down dragons back and hit some of its rocks a few times with no issues. I’m happy with it. Never really got a good straight up reason not to like it from folks? Yes it may bend a touch here and there but it’s easy to bend back.
5DA89007 F59A 4A10 8369 7650FF91619D

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do a quick estimate on weight before you consider steel. I have a 1/2” UHMW and it’s great. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Biteme and JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I’ve had aluminum since 16’ and beat the living crap out of it and it’s sled down dragons back and hit some of its rocks a few times with no issues. I’m happy with it. Never really got a good straight up reason not to like it from folks? Yes it may bend a touch here and there but it’s easy to bend back.
View attachment 200522
That looks really good. I don't have the capability to stamp or dimple though. Think it would be as strong just flat? I was thinking 1/4" if I did aluminum (?)

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Do a quick estimate on weight before you consider steel. I have a 1/2” UHMW and it’s great. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any other time I'd do uhmw not doubt, but I can't justify it at the moment. Maybe down the road. Also I dont think the weight would bother me, especially that far down low. Being steel I would do maybe 1/8" , aluminum 1/4", ideally if I did uhmw it would be 1/2"

J

JTW

1/2 UHMW... It’s worth the extra $$.. I had a flat aluminum skid before and it just didn’t hold up the way I felt it should. Maybe it’s just our type of riding.. lol.. I do think it would have been better if it had stamped raised areas for support. But my flat aluminum skid plate was rubbing the shift fork... it was at that time many took notice when I pointed it out and started adding bracing and supports there... when the metal skids deform they stay that way. Now every rock and slam in that spot is a little closer to a bad situation. The UHMW will take the hit and goes back to flat. You get a that original clearance every hit. I’m not saying it won’t or can’t touch. But would you rather have 2” of deflection clearance every time or 2” bam... 1” bam... 1/2” bam bam... and now the skid is rubbing the shift fork? What do you think happens now? It’s largely going to depend on individuals and where they ride. But... why spend money on something that is only going to do half the job?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1/2 UHMW... It’s worth the extra $$.. I had a flat aluminum skid before and it just didn’t hold up the way I felt it should. Maybe it’s just our type of riding.. lol.. I do think it would have been better if it had stamped raised areas for support. But my flat aluminum skid plate was rubbing the shift fork... it was at that time many took notice when I pointed it out and started adding bracing and supports there... when the metal skids deform they stay that way. Now every rock and slam in that spot is a little closer to a bad situation. The UHMW will take the hit and goes back to flat. You get a that original clearance every hit. I’m not saying it won’t or can’t touch. But would you rather have 2” of deflection clearance every time or 2” bam... 1” bam... 1/2” bam bam... and now the skid is rubbing the shift fork? What do you think happens now? It’s largely going to depend on individuals and where they ride. But... why spend money on something that is only going to do half the job?

Not sure what happened to @JTW but that is 100% what I think too

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That looks really good. I don't have the capability to stamp or dimple though. Think it would be as strong just flat? I was thinking 1/4" if I did aluminum (?)
I would think so? This kit is made by Rival. I bought it back in 16’. If you have some flat Aluminum and cut it, I would think it would be fine! Might dent a little easier without the cross brakes in it to ridged it up tho.

Reactions: Enigma and JenElio
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I voted for UHMW. My aluminum hung-up on everything it could find. The UHMW "slides" over bushes and rocks. Haven't had a grab-ya since switching. Nothing worse than coming to an abrupt stop knowing you just grabbed a hold of something.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
YAY OR NAY

Thanks for any input.

You can get a 3/8" thick 4' x 10' sheet of black UHMW for $276

Screenshot 20200503 235348 Chrome

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Bent up my aluminum skids on the P500, which has a wider than desired distance between frame supports. It was rubbing an engine mount and rattling. Just saying it was one hella of a ride keeping up with @joeymt33 at Coalmont. LOL.

36AE38C0 32B0 47A3 B0A4 7E36BC8A0EBD 2FC69A6E 18B0 442F 9498 3355CB0DC939 44A8C664 AA65 4214 8F4A 386E4D6B1840

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Reactions: Biteme
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
How thick is that?
  • Complete skid plate sets constructed with 3/16" Aluminum or 1/2" UHMW
  • Direct bolt on design requires little or no drilling or modifications
  • Optional 1/4" UHMW quiet glide surface layered onto aluminum
  • 3/16" Aluminum A-Arm Guards for enhanced CV Boot protection
  • Aluminum rock sliders and fender well guards for complete protection

Reactions: Biteme and JenElio
C

carlsonjmc

Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I couldn’t agree more with this, my OEM aluminum skid plate on my 16 1k 5 is vibrating off the bottom of the motor, if I hadn’t bought a Talon to put accessories on I would replace the skid on the Pioneer with UHMW.

Cyborg

Cyborg

Jun 12, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2016 P500 as well. I went with UHWM and don't regret the extra cost at all for 3 main reasons:
1) It's tough. I've hit it hard with no dents, no problems.
2) It's slick - slides right over big rocks and other things you could get hung on.
3) It's quieter than metal - throw up rocks or gravel? No clang, no ding. At most, you'll hear a light thud or pop.

Just put it on and fuhgeddaboutit. Got mine from SSS Offroad.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a alum plate on my old 2010 Kaw Teryx. After the 3rd oil change and 600 miles is was so bent and damaged I could not get it to bolt back on the the SxS. So I made a UHWM one for it. I should have made it day one. The old Alumn one would get hung up on rocks and trees where the UHWM will just slide. So on the Pioneer the first thing I did was make a UHWM Skid plate. I ended up using 3/4". I know it is way overkill but I got the material from a buddies shop that I had purchased it for a job and ended up not needing it. So it was cheaper than 1/2".

I ride everything from TN mountains to Florida swamp.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!