P500 Do I fit??

B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey guys, sorry to revive this thread but I found another 500 for sale about 8 hours away. Does the 500 fit in a 7 for box with the tailgate down? Don't want any surprises. It's an f350 srw.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Reactions: JCart and Chooglin
J

Jut

Aug 28, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I put mine in a 2014 Toyota Tundra 6.5 foot box. It sits on the tail gate. I assume it will fit in your F350.

Be careful at the front. I use some wood to bump the tires against or my winch will go through the back window before I hit the front of the box. It was fine without the winch.

B

Bridgie

Jun 1, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thank you sir.

Reactions: Chooglin
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Hey guys, sorry to revive this thread but I found another 500 for sale about 8 hours away. Does the 500 fit in a 7 for box with the tailgate down? Don't want any surprises. It's an f350 srw.

YES ,EASY

Reactions: Bridgie

420Rancher

Jun 29, 2019
Innisfil
90a92b096b163ace6c73cf499e85ecf3
Mine in a 6 1/2’ box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I pull a 700 in a short bed with a 27' trailer behind, with some over cab ramps. Tows fine though kills fuel mileage a bit. I have never sat in a 500, but I'm 6'1" mostly legs with plenty of room in the 700. View attachment 133752

Brother, if you were driving with 1,000 pounds tilted up like that in front of where my wife, daughter or DIL and grandson were on the road/- I’d pray a highway patrol pulled you over and had you pull it off then he impounded/ towed them away safely on a flatbed.

A tire blow- out or have a deer jump in front of you and you swerve- and that setup could kill somebody.

It’s your life and I respect that- but not risking somebody else’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Brother, if you were driving with 1,000 pounds tilted up like that in front of where my wife, daughter or DIL and grandson were on the road/- I’d pray a highway patrol pulled you over and had you pull it off then he impounded/ towed them away safely on a flatbed.

A tire blow- out or have a deer jump in front of you and you swerve- and that setup could kill somebody.

Those over cab racks are pretty common here in Canada and meet DOT approval, with machine ratcheted down I’d say they are pretty secure. I agree swerving with a near GVWR load is not a good idea, having tires and gear in great shape when operating any equipment is the way to go.

Reactions: 500oneer
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500

Haul my P5 in my old 97 ECLB 4x4 all the time, it has an aluminum drybox fuel cell that’s 24” deep too, so my tailgate is down.
Upload 2019 8 14 8 13 5

Not a current image, but you get the idea. Pressure treated plywood (8’ Long) angle iron bolted to plywood to distribute weight, used beater tailgate, additional tailgate supports. Backing in gives you a few extra inches and I also put strips of plywood down at each end of loading ramps under UTV (as chaulks) to hold loading ramps in. System is quick and easy with limited drama, backing up the ramps 4” lift with 37” tires on truck at first feels scary at first, just make sure you tie ramps down. Typically I ease on with left foot on the brake, so I don’t bounce and if I need to apply everything is smooth.
Cheers, hope you get your P5.

Reactions: Mudder and 500oneer
Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4

I think you are making an assumption about how the setup handles. I'm not driving in a POS half ton truck, GVW is over 10k and truck is almost 8k empty. Meaning there is almost 8k lbs UNDER the sxs. A lot of the weight stays below the cab line of the truck. And it does handle quite well.

No different than adding weight with loaded ladder racks or a slide in camper, and adjusting driving techniques. Full height is 11'6" btw.

We just got back from a 800 mile 2 week trip, through some twisty mountain roads through upstate NH and northwestern Maine and I feel even more confident about the setup. So if you see me coming down the road feel free to call the state police.

420Rancher

Jun 29, 2019
Innisfil
I think you are making an assumption about how the setup handles. I'm not driving in a POS half ton truck, GVW is over 10k and truck is almost 8k empty. Meaning there is almost 8k lbs UNDER the sxs. A lot of the weight stays below the cab line of the truck. And it does handle quite well.

No different than adding weight with loaded ladder racks or a slide in camper, and adjusting driving techniques. Full height is 11'6" btw.

We just got back from a 800 mile 2 week trip, through some twisty mountain roads through upstate NH and northwestern Maine and I feel even more confident about the setup. So if you see me coming down the road feel free to call the state police.

Did you fab the rack or buy it?
Thinking of getting a house trailer, and this would solve some issues.
My pickup is legal for 2000# in the box or towing 16. Was looking at a toy hauler, but dont want the extra legth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500

Run that rig [camper,p-5,ramp,people,camping gear,ect] across a set of scales,I promise that you will be well above your rear axle weight rating.If you are involved in an accident with serious injuries and a savvy lawyer gets involved,you might as well turn your pockets inside out.

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
I built the rack.

I am most likely over GVW (10,100) with everything loaded, but front axle rating from Chrysler is 5200 and rear is 6200. Empty truck was 7950 lbs, truck is naturally nose heavy but assuming it is balanced that leaves 2,225lbs capacity over the rear and 1,125 over the front axle, total. We pack fairly light, with most of our other crap in the trailer. Trailer has pair of 3500 lb axles and dry weight of 4200 lbs, btw.

I will have to get a scale ticket so everybody can get some rest next trip, or I can find a savvy lawyer to land my load onto.

Reactions: 70Bones
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
you might want to have a scale for any law that might ask, if you travel alot seems more than likely. really the dodges have the heaviest trucks and suspension out of any of them, not surprised it does fine. the pickups also had the worst unloaded ride of any of the trucks at work, the only nice riding one we had was the service body that had like 3-4k of steel box and tools on the back and boss steel v plow on the front

Reactions: 70Bones
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
If you have any left leg knee issues, then I’d say don’t do it. There’s very little room on the left for any leg movement. It’s why I upgraded to a 1000-5. After two years, I couldn’t take it anymore. I’m 6’9” tall. Otherwise the 500 is a very capable machine
@100Acre is really tall and white but he cannot jump.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!