P700m4 Do I really need a heater ????

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I have a 700-4 and I have the soft doors and soft center section to enclose the front only. I will be hunting the last two weeks of October where the temps will be on the lower 20s in the mornings and probably mid 40s lower 50s during the day. I have a couple of buddies that have cab enclosers and only use heaters in the morning and have windows open during the day. So anyone think yes I better get it or will the engine heat coming in the cab keep me warm enough ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 700-4 and I have the soft doors and soft center section to enclose the front only. I will be hunting the last two weeks of October where the temps will be on the lower 20s in the mornings and probably mid 40s lower 50s during the day. I have a couple of buddies that have cab enclosers and only use heaters in the morning and have windows open during the day. So anyone think yes I better get it or will the engine heat coming in the cab keep me warm enough ???

700 a heater was nice....1000 there's enough heat from dash I don't need one.

Reactions: Caper and swsebek
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I would say no because you have a windshield and enclosure plus you'll have your hunting gear on which I assume is meant to keep you warm in cold weather. If you don't have any wind on you while driving and you stay dry while hunting then those temps. don't sound so bad to me

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Yes Tflynn kinda exactly what I was thinking. And you hit the nail on the head with everything. Just keeping the wind off makes all the difference in the world.

blackpearl

blackpearl

Jul 24, 2018
Boston, Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'll weigh in here only because I have a 1000 P3 and did install a heater. I have the glass windshield and fabric windows and mid panel. I put the heater in because, in addition to some hunting season excursions, I also use it to plow snow, so here in New England I'm sometimes out in positively yeccchhh frigid conditions. The 1000 generates a lot of heat on its own (I don't have the heat shield installed), but without a heater most of it comes through the seat. With the heater, it's awful nice to pop off your gloves and warm up those fingers. Or just shed some of that super-insulated hunting gear while you're in the cab. As for the 700 and your specific requirements, I'd have to agree that dealing with 20 degrees in the morning and 40-50 during the day doesn't warrant a heater. But you'll know after a couple of seasons, and you can always put one in if the discomfort level demands.

ThePearl20180313

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I have been using my P500 as a daily driver up here in Alaska for over 3 years. I have never installed a heater, even though I was heavily considering it at first. I would advise against it, now. The only thing that I have needed during some REALLY cold snaps was a 12V defroster to keep my windshield from fogging. The engine heat, combined with the blocking of the wind, is all you will need if you are dressed ANYWHERE near warranted for the climate. I did spend a little extra time "weatherstripping", to block a few bigger drafts, but have never needed more than a coat, hat, and gloves to stay comfortable on extended rides (8-12hours) in below freezing temps.

blackpearl

blackpearl

Jul 24, 2018
Boston, Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have been using my P500 as a daily driver up here in Alaska for over 3 years. I have never installed a heater, even though I was heavily considering it at first. I would advise against it, now. The only thing that I have needed during some REALLY cold snaps was a 12V defroster to keep my windshield from fogging. The engine heat, combined with the blocking of the wind, is all you will need if you are dressed ANYWHERE near warranted for the climate. I did spend a little extra time "weatherstripping", to block a few bigger drafts, but have never needed more than a coat, hat, and gloves to stay comfortable on extended rides (8-12hours) in below freezing temps.
Kudos, you're a hardy soul there in Alaska (and yep I'm feeling like a wimp). I'm 60 and quite arthritic, so maybe that's why I like my heater. But I agree the windshield and fabric enclosures help a lot by eliminating wind. When plowing my own driveway at 5 a.m., I often wear Sorel boots, Thinsulate gloves, and my pajamas. Seriously, the 1000 LE EPS M3 is one terrific machine and it's done everything I've asked it to do, from plowing to hauling logs and grass to trail riding to keeping me toasty when the weather can't. Thank you, Honda.

Reactions: elkguide and Caper
wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Thanks for all the replies. Kinda starting to think I won’t need one. I did notice that there is a decent amount of heat that can be felt under the seat. I know just keeping the wind off will help tremendously.

M

mole

Mar 3, 2016
Belle Vernon,Pa.

M

mole

Mar 3, 2016
Belle Vernon,Pa.
I always figure it's better to have & not need than to need & not have.If I were young maybe heater wouldn't be important but at 67 heat feels nice plowing snow , hunting or just taking winter ride.thanks to all the great people on forum that made heater install easy

G

Gottaride68

Jul 7, 2018
Northern Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
I hunt in -20*C to -30*C, roof top, windshield and no heater. I'm dressed for it, I don't mind.
Put a heater in, that way you have it....
I've been meaning to...but I jus don't make it priority....seems the only time I think bout it, I'm out there riding...when I get back, I have other stuff to think about....ahaha

M

mole

Mar 3, 2016
Belle Vernon,Pa.
I always figure it's better to have & not need than to need & not have.If I were young maybe heater wouldn't be important but at 67 heat feels nice plowing snow , hunting or just taking winter ride.thanks to all the great people on forum that made heater install easy
update..plowed snow yesterday,it was 0-F with a high of 12.cab was 72-F.thanks again buggymaster,obamacreek & others for all the great info since I got pioneer in 2016

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
update..plowed snow yesterday,it was 0-F with a high of 12.cab was 72-F.thanks again buggymaster,obamacreek & others for all the great info since I got pioneer in 2016
Your typo was pretty funny . I've met him and did not get that impression.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!