P700 Do I really need to spend an additional $1500 for the Deluxe

D

DougK

Sep 24, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’ve been researching and am thinking of getting a Honda Pioneer 700-4 to use primarily for hauling firewood and working on our property. We live in the mountains so our property has some pretty steep inclines. I have a question for you current owners of the 700-4 model.

Would you recommend I spend the extra money for the Deluxe model that’s required in order to gain additional features of a) power steering and b) more importantly the manual paddle shifters.

Specifically, my primary concern is that when I have a full load of firewood in the bed and am going down a steep incline, would I need to have the manual shifting capabilities that are only present in the Deluxe model to be able to force the transmission to remain in 1st gear so the SXS doesn’t pick up too much speed thereby potentially forcing me to ride the brakes? Or, does the automatic transmission on the non-deluxe model work fine in these kind of scenarios and holds back a heavy load without having to ride the brakes?

I’d love to save the extra money if possible but don’t know how well the standard model performs with no power steering and no way I know of to force the transmission to go into a specific gear.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
No. I have had mine in the mountains and mostly flat ground but the paddle shifting isnt worth it. Just 1 more electrical part to go out. If im buying another one im going back with a 700-4 base model then upgrading to power steering for about 500 bucks. Basically the same as mine- base model but with power steering only. You can only hold furst gear to the rev limit then your either going to over rev the motor or have to brake.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I own the Deluxe model and didn't know the price difference was that much but even so. I would not be happy without the power steering especially when in Diff Lock. This is my 1st SXS and the only experience with one. I would buy it again! Good Luck on your choice.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I know you are looking at the 700-4 but based upon your use and terrain description, you would be better served by a 1000-5 base model, the 2021 come with power steering standard and the high and low range 6 speed transmission gives you 4x the gearing options of the 700. In low range 1st gear 1000 will engine brake down hill to 5mph without riding the brakes. And has double the HP compounded by the additional low gears. Something you might want to seriously consider.

S

Swampcollie

Feb 1, 2020
Sedalia, mo
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Going to disagree on the power steering. I recently bought a standard 700-4, and I am in my 70’s. I have no problems at all. I will agree with the suggestion that hauling loads in the mountains, you may be better served with a 1000.

FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Definitely glad to have power steering, I use my paddle shifters, but wouldn't care if they weren't there.

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know you are looking at the 700-4 but based upon your use and terrain description, you would be better served by a 1000-5 base model, the 2021 come with power steering standard and the high and low range 6 speed transmission gives you 4x the gearing options of the 700. In low range 1st gear 1000 will engine brake down hill to 5mph without riding the brakes. And has double the HP compounded by the additional low gears. Something you might want to seriously consider.
I agree I would look at a 1000 base model

Reactions: BHarris8753
BHarris8753

BHarris8753

Jan 18, 2020
Robbins, NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Step up to the 1000 base, i wish i would have. The 700 does not like inclines much less with a load in the back.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've put a few hours on all the pioneers the 700 is great sxs, but I would step up to the 1000 if possible, there's a world of difference.

Reactions: BHarris8753
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I own a 1000-5. My wife and I looked at a 700-4 and decided the 1000 would be better. More power, more speed, and extra person. The deluxe 700 VS base 1000 I feel money is better spent on the 1000 base for what you get. The power steering and paddle shift to me is worth it. I would have rather had halogen headlight housings with LED bulbs than the LED headlamps on the deluxe. To replace the LED headlamps are expensive if one ever goes out. I don't care about wheels because I immediately wanted aftermarket for the sole fact that I want them to match for rotation purposes. Just my 2 cents.

Hickstrong

Hickstrong

Aug 19, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
The 700 doesn't like to turn well with a load in the bed, I was worried about the no lo range but so far, I can tow a 7.5 x 10' trailer stacked 4' high with firewood with no problem. The draw bar reciever is junk though, almost all crack, gonna re enforce it with angle iron. Dont put big tires towing power is enough but barely for me. My quadmaster 500 pulls the same load as good or better.

Hickstrong

Hickstrong

Aug 19, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
The 700 doesn't like to turn well with a load in the bed, I was worried about the no lo range but so far, I can tow a 7.5 x 10' trailer stacked 4' high with firewood with no problem. The draw bar reciever is junk though, almost all crack, gonna re enforce it with angle iron. Dont put big tires towing power is enough but barely for me. My quadmaster 500 pulls the same load as good or better.
Also I haven't needed power steering yet but it would be nice....I strength train 3 days a week. After a long 30 mile ride I was tired though. Rocky and ruts most of the way

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Personally, I hit a boulder and a tree in the same trip. Both jammed my wrist. I added the power steering. No more "bump steer". $600 will get you power steering.

My 2016 model doesn't have paddles. But I have been reading this forum since 2016 and I've never seen anyone say "These paddle shifters and great". I've never heard a single person say they use them.

Reactions: Farmer and Mudwing
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Counter point - the paddle shifters are great (Talon though), I'm constantly upshifting so I don't have to listen/feel the RPM when I'm cruising which is most of the time - there's a lot of 'paddle up' cruising on my rides.

If a lot's good, more's better and too much is just right - get the 1000. 😍

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Counter point - the paddle shifters are great (Talon though), I'm constantly upshifting so I don't have to listen/feel the RPM when I'm cruising which is most of the time - there's a lot of 'paddle up' cruising on my rides.

If a lot's good, more's better and too much is just right - get the 1000. 😍
I use them also on the 1000 but I bet they're not as useful when u only have 3 gears.

Reactions: CID and Mudwing
T

TwoRs

Jun 21, 2020
South
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I use the paddle shifters on every ride, upshifting as mentioned to reduce rpms on open areas. Alloys reduce unsprung weight, power steering is factory installed and paddle shifters work as designed. The extra is worth it to me..

v908

v908

Feb 14, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've got a "standard" p700 and have used it extensively for ranch work as well as off-road play in tight, rocky areas. I've never missed the paddle shifters, and have yet to be in a situation where I thought to myself that power steering would have been helpful. I'm sure it might be beneficial at full lock in 4WD, but I've yet to feel it was needed. I was glad to save the money up-front and spend it on accessories.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!