Muhkan51

Love this thing!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just finished installing a True isolator and second battery. Also, I added a Blue Sea fuse panel that is replacing the Honda accessory fuse box and is not yet wired. I really don't understand the ins and outs of electrical wiring and need some advice. I have seen many members who have installed the Stinger or similar switches in conjunction with the items I have installed. I will be running front, rear, interior lights on separate switches. A stereo will also be added plus a couple of others as I see fit. I would have thought the fused circuits from the fuse panel would be enough but now I am wondering about that. Do I need a stinger? What does it do and how is it wired? Also, do I need relays and for what purpose? These accessories will all run off of the second battery.

IMG 1431

Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The stinger will usually be placed between second battery and the fuse panel. The purpose is to be able to only energize the stinger when you want to use the accessories.
If you have young people that like to play in and around your equipment, having the stinger on a switch is a good idea. Kids like to turn stuff on and off, if you are not around to make sure everything is off. You might end up with a dead battery.

I personally don't have one between my battery and fuse panel.
Only my wife and I driving, and our youngest is 19, and rarely around. I'm not worried about someone playing in it.

Muhkan51

Muhkan51

Love this thing!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The stinger will usually be placed between second battery and the fuse panel. The purpose is to be able to only energize the stinger when you want to use the accessories.
If you have young people that like to play in and around your equipment, having the stinger on a switch is a good idea. Kids like to turn stuff on and off, if you are not around to make sure everything is off. You might end up with a dead battery.

I personally don't have one between my battery and fuse panel.
Only my wife and I driving, and our youngest is 19, and rarely around. I'm not worried about someone playing in it.
Well, we're in the same boat as you. Kids are gone and just the two of us. So, I think I will leave well enough alone and just use the fuse panel. I was running out of space and really didn't want to add something I didn't need.

I do appreciate your response and advice. Have a good one!

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your relay question really depends on the load of the accessories being run off the switch, also depends what brand switch you are running.
If you are running a switch from Amazon that does not say Carling Tech on it. Limit the load on the switch to 5-10 amps.
If you are running a legitimate switch from Carling. You can probably run the full 20a the switch is rated for without a relay.

The difference is the china construction in the Amazon switches. Carling is made in Mexico and the innards of the switch are just a higher quality.
I have some Mictuning switches from my original wiring. I kept pulling the lugs out of the back when removing wires. I took the switches apart and soldered them together.

Muhkan51

Muhkan51

Love this thing!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will be using carling switches from otrattw and I shouldn’t be pulling more amps than even a cheap switch can handle except for the radio, maybe. So, a relay for the radio would be in order I take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will be using carling switches from otrattw and I shouldn’t be pulling more amps than even a cheap switch can handle except for the radio, maybe. So, a relay for the radio would be in order I take it.

I would use a relay on anything that is fused higher than 20amp. Sounds like you made the right choice on switches.
Which radio are you planning on installing?

Muhkan51

Muhkan51

Love this thing!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not sure what brand. JBL, Boss. A model that will fit Mystic’s plate and has Bluetooth.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure what brand. JBL, Boss. A model that will fit Mystic’s plate and has Bluetooth.

I have a boss in mine. It recommended a 20a fuse for wiring direct to battery. So no need to for a relay there either. Chances are you won't run the constant and ign switch off your switch.
The constant (yellow) will be hooked to your fuse panel.
The ignition switch (red) will hook to your dash switch. No need for a relay if wired this way.

If you wire Yellow and red to your switch, you will lose the memory function of the radio. Everytime you turn it on, it will default to radio or whatever. It will not remember last source used.

Reactions: Muhkan51
Muhkan51

Muhkan51

Love this thing!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like a mod-life experience that you learned from. That's really good to know going in but a dollar to a dime I have to do it twice. Seems to be my mode of operation but that's how you learn. How do you like the Boss? I have a JBL in a pontoon that's been reliable and sounds pretty good as well. The specs for the Boss are pretty similar for a few less $$ and the fit looks correct. Actually, volume is what I need but I do plan to put good speakers on the thing.

Thanks to you and members like you I have a decent chance to get it right the first time. Thank!

Muhkan51

Muhkan51

Love this thing!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like a mod-life experience that you learned from. That's really good to know going in but a dollar to a dime I have to do it twice. Seems to be my mode of operation but that's how you learn. How do you like the Boss? I have a JBL in a pontoon that's been reliable and sounds pretty good as well. The specs for the Boss are pretty similar for a few less $$ and the fit looks correct. Actually, volume is what I need but I do plan to put good speakers on the thing.

Thanks to you and members like you I have a decent chance to get it right the first time. Thank!

Neohio, a couple of clarifications,

"The constant (yellow) will be hooked to your fuse panel.
The ignition switch (red) will hook to your dash switch. No need for a relay if wired this way."

Does this mean yellow from the main fuse box and to do what? Red from the main fuse box? To power the LED in the switches?

advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Muhkan51
How do you plan to turn on your radio?
Via switch panel? ignition key? or use the button on the radio?

Muhkan51

Muhkan51

Love this thing!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Muhkan51
How do you plan to turn on your radio?
Via switch panel? ignition key? or use the button on the radio?
Probably will just use the power button on the radio. I assume I would be running up hours on the hour meter if I just wanted to play the radio while not running using the ignition and I only have six spaces for switches and would prefer to not use one just to power on the radio. Is there something I'm missing?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Probably will just use the power button on the radio. I assume I would be running up hours on the hour meter if I just wanted to play the radio while not running using the ignition and I only have six spaces for switches and would prefer to not use one just to power on the radio. Is there something I'm missing?
I'll check mine when it gets home. I don't know if the Boss has a power button that will turn it off.

You are correct about running up the hour meter with the key on.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We don't have kids at home anymore either, but I've always been into overkill..

I have the Stinger, and have relays on each accessory.

Reactions: Neohio
Muhkan51

Muhkan51

Love this thing!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'll check mine when it gets home. I don't know if the Boss has a power button that will turn it off.

You are correct about running up the hour meter with the key on.
I do know the JBL, similar to the Boss, has a power button. My JBL in the pontoon has switched power but you still have to also push the radio power button.

Muhkan51

Muhkan51

Love this thing!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do know the JBL, similar to the Boss, has a power button. My JBL in the pontoon has switched power but you still have to also push the radio power button.
Neohio, The Boss does have a power button. You hold the mute button down to power up/down. I ordered one. Thanks for the help!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Neohio, The Boss does have a power button. You hold the mute button down to power up/down. I ordered one. Thanks for the help!
Back to your wiring question, Attached both red and yellow to your fuse panel on one terminal. Then you can control power on with the button on the radio.

Muhkan51

Muhkan51

Love this thing!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got it. Spent the last couple of nights in the garage playing with the wiring and it’s starting to make sense and coming together. Winch and all lights wired and ready. Just need the radio to install and wire in the battery volt meters from the isolator/ignition then I’ll be ready to roll. You have been a big help! That’s what’s so great about this group.

Reactions: Neohio and Eltobgi
Cookjames27

Cookjames27

May 13, 2020
Hammond, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where did you get the red pipe from? I bought a radiator hose i seen on a different post and it doesn't fit.

S

SteveCoble

Sep 8, 2020
Basin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where did you get the red pipe from? I bought a radiator hose i seen on a different post and it doesn't fit.
I,d like to know what you used for the L on your air intake also?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!