P1000 Does anyone else wish...6-seat 1000?

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy friends,
Am I the only person out there who wishes Honda would build a true six seater with bed like the other manufacturers?
I love the 2020 Pioneer 1000...think it’s a great machine in all aspects. But it simply doesn’t work for me because I have 4 kids. When we go out as a family, we need everyone in seatbelts, and room to haul cargo for our recreation. The 1000-5 fails on both counts. For that reason, we bought a new 2020 Polaris Ranger Crew 1000 Premium. It’s a very nice machine. It does exactly what we need/want it to. But so would a Pioneer 1000 “Crew” if it existed, with 4 door openings, (2) 3-seat benches, and the full dump bed. I would buy one! Since purchasing the Ranger I’ve been comparing it to the P1000 and I think the Honda would get my vote, as much as we like our Ranger. I would prefer the DCT transmission...if the right configuration existed. Yamaha has the Viking VI, Kawasaki the Mule 6-seater, Can Am the Defender 6-seater, Polaris the Ranger Crew...I personally wish there was a true Honda competitor. Say what you like about strapping stuff to the top, hitch haulers, front cargo haulers...none are equal to a full available bed for hauling cargo when you have 4 or more passengers.
19B874DF 4FA3 49AC AEBF 818CC61F94EB

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think the appeal of the P1K5 is also the wheel base. No need for a 17 point turn in the middle of the trails. I agree a little more room os always welcomed but theres always more to be had with anything. What do u tell the guy with 5 kids? Make a 7 seater?? At some point a second machine is in order.

My 2 cents....

D

DDDonkey

I am a family of five, and only 3 machines met my needs/wants, the ranger crew, defender, and pioneer 1000-5. I went with the Pioneer due to the dtc and wheel base for the woods up North. A 6 seater would be nice but just too long for my needs and wants.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The sweet spot is hard to satisfy. I understand the predicamen. The real estate needed for family. The wheelbase for trail riding. In order to get those back seats big enough to matter, the wheelbase gets blown out. The Talon 4 certainly gets it done for big bucks. It’s still big. The Defender and the Ranger have the 6 person market locked down. Another 6 seater from Honda would just be a repeat of those manufacturer. The only compromise would be to stretch out the wheelbase of the Pioneer a bit, take out the bed, and install a back seat area about the size of the RZR4 with an integral bed.

B

bullyx

Mar 20, 2016
new york
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 4 kidos and just could not bring myself to getting the bus 6 seater. The pioneer 5 is awesome. Kids love it. If we all go we can still squeeze four in the front and still buckle. Also another reason we kept the old teryx. My wife can take the pioneer and I can take that one to beat on if we dont want to snuggle up.
If honda found a good way to keep the wheel base the same and get a bench in the back , could be interesting . But for now, the p1000-5 is a winner here.. .

Ultrasonic1

Ultrasonic1

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Nomadic
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also like the Pioneer 1000-5 for its capacity/overall size ratio. It seats my family of 4 and still fits in my toy hauler. AND is still very trail nimble, especially compared to other 4 seat options. But I agree a true 6 seat option would be nice for those in that market.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I bet Honda is looking at volume as they would sell relatively few of those.
It's likely you know more than I do. However, I wonder why they would sell relatively few of those. If the other makes are selling them, seems like Honda would want a piece of the pie? The other manufacturers are also making 3-seaters with a bed, and Honda is competing with them, so why not the longer model? I don't see the Honda as an inferior product to the others...I imagine they'd sell well. But what do I really know?

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I think the appeal of the P1K5 is also the wheel base. No need for a 17 point turn in the middle of the trails. I agree a little more room os always welcomed but theres always more to be had with anything. What do u tell the guy with 5 kids? Make a 7 seater?? At some point a second machine is in order.

My 2 cents....
I see your point, and I've given it some thought. To your point, the P1K5 CAN haul 4, or 5 people (but not their stuff) with the shorter wheelbase, which must be a benefit for many or they wouldn't be selling like hotcakes. Setting aside the shorter wheelbase, the "crew" size can haul 4, 5, or 6 people AND their stuff. And I'll tell you that out West, there aren't many trails you can't negotiate with my crew, it has a pretty sharp turn radius too (improved for 2020). I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to see all angles. 5 kids? Like my boss, he bought a new General XP and put the UTVMA bench/cage in the bed, plus rear bench seat conversion, now he hauls all 7 in belts.

advertisement
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I am a family of five, and only 3 machines met my needs/wants, the ranger crew, defender, and pioneer 1000-5. I went with the Pioneer due to the dtc and wheel base for the woods up North. A 6 seater would be nice but just too long for my needs and wants.
There you have it. Makes sense. I know there are places with tighter trails/woods than we have here in the southwest. So...the Pioneer 500 obviously has a niche in the market, just saying I wish they made a Ranger Crew competitor.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I have a wife and 2 boys. We ride alone a lot and I often wish we had a second machine. If I had 6 2 machines would be more fun and a bit safer
Yes, as long as SHE likes to drive. And...it would cost $30K instead of $15K, which is a benefit to the single six seater. But I agree with the alone thing, my boss and I are taking our families together this weekend to some remote ruins in AZ, and I won't take my whole family way out there along because...obvious reasons. But with two machines I feel better.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
The sweet spot is hard to satisfy. I understand the predicamen. The real estate needed for family. The wheelbase for trail riding. In order to get those back seats big enough to matter, the wheelbase gets blown out. The Talon 4 certainly gets it done for big bucks. It’s still big. The Defender and the Ranger have the 6 person market locked down. Another 6 seater from Honda would just be a repeat of those manufacturer. The only compromise would be to stretch out the wheelbase of the Pioneer a bit, take out the bed, and install a back seat area about the size of the RZR4 with an integral bed.
Hey, I LIKE this idea. Kinda like Jeep did with the stretched Jeep. That would be cool, just a little longer, a little more space (enough) without going full-on bus.

Reactions: Biteme
Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Converted my pioneer into a 6 seater. Started life as a -5, swapped a -3 bed on it, got a custom cage done, bought a RZR rear bench seat, built a bracket and Bam. Only littles can sit in the back but this should keep us riding for a few years at least. Have plans to add legroom as needed in the future. 😎

20200319 141730

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I have 4 kidos and just could not bring myself to getting the bus 6 seater. The pioneer 5 is awesome. Kids love it. If we all go we can still squeeze four in the front and still buckle. Also another reason we kept the old teryx. My wife can take the pioneer and I can take that one to beat on if we dont want to snuggle up.
If honda found a good way to keep the wheel base the same and get a bench in the back , could be interesting . But for now, the p1000-5 is a winner here.. .
There are a lot of Pioneer 1000-5's in my area. They are pretty popular, but mostly with retired folks who want to be able to haul a few grandkids.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Converted my pioneer into a 6 seater. Started life as a -5, swapped a -3 bed on it, got a custom cage done, bought a RZR rear bench seat, built a bracket and Bam. Only littles can sit in the back but this should keep us riding for a few years at least. Have plans to add legroom as needed in the future. 😎

View attachment 198417
Very cool! I did look at the UTVMA kit to convert a P1000 into a six seater...just didn't want to sacrifice hauling capability. Your rig is very trick, love what you've done. Those wheels/tires look awesome too! And the roll cage looks tumble-proof.

Reactions: Biteme and Dezrik
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I also like the Pioneer 1000-5 for its capacity/overall size ratio. It seats my family of 4 and still fits in my toy hauler. AND is still very trail nimble, especially compared to other 4 seat options. But I agree a true 6 seat option would be nice for those in that market.
I guess this thread has answered my question! I AM the only one wishing they made one. Again, Honda knows what they're doing.

Reactions: Biteme
Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very cool! I did look at the UTVMA kit to convert a P1000 into a six seater...just didn't want to sacrifice hauling capability. Your rig is very trick, love what you've done. Those wheels/tires look awesome too! And the roll cage looks tumble-proof.

After a few tumbles the original cage was pretty wrecked but I knew before I bent it, I needed a real cage for the riding I do.

IMG 20200103 163022 544

Here's a little better picture of how we have it setup. Baby number 4 arrives in July so for now we are still using it as a 5 seater.

20200313 175534

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
After a few tumbles the original cage was pretty wrecked but I knew before I bent it, I needed a real cage for the riding I do.

View attachment 198419

Here's a little better picture of how we have it setup. Baby number 4 arrives in July so for now we are still using it as a 5 seater.

View attachment 198418
Slick ride man. You're like me, I don't apologize for using it how I intend to! Are those 30x10-14's?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!