P1000 Does anyone else wish...6-seat 1000?

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Just found this...

I seriously considered this very option, with the UTVMA back seat, but then of course, I couldn't haul our stuff AND the family at the same time. So...Pioneer was out.

Reactions: Biteme
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I seriously considered this very option, with the UTVMA back seat, but then of course, I couldn't haul our stuff AND the family at the same time. So...Pioneer was out.
Rear rack would help
30461939 95DD 4AA3 8E0B F090E9322463

Last edited:
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I don’t get the bus thing......for toolin’ around with the grand kids I get....after that there’s at least someone else in the rig that wants to DRIVE!

My family came from a Polaris Ranger 700xp. Trail riding in a Ranger sucks compared to the Pioneer IMO.

I have a family of 5. My oldest daughter (14) wants to drive...hates riding like I do. As my daughters get older, I can see a quad or smaller sxs making more sense for my family than any bus as my kids want to drive.

Reasons why I have a P1k5:

Didn’t want to drive a bus (Ranger Crew) with poor ground clearance and needing the south forty to turn.
Needed something I can use around the farm ( sorry Talon won’t work) and could still haul serious tail.
Wanted something that fits on the trails.
Wanted something still light enough for ice fishing, but could pull a good sized trailer.

Finally, it’s a Honda.
I appreciate your response. It illustrates how different folks/families need different things.
First of all, my 2020 Ranger Crew 1000 Premium is a very different animal from your Ranger 700XP...likely better in every way, a LOT better. I have kids that want to drive too, but we are doing big family trips that involve forest roads that you have to be a legal driver to operate a vehicle on, even sections of highway connecting trails, all in all we are together and enjoying each other's company. The kids get to drive all they want around our property. When we go on these family excursions, it's good that we're all together, and it's legal, and safe. Let's keep a little perspective, these "bus" crew side by sides are only a couple of feet longer than the non-"bus" sxs. So far we've covered some rough terrain in our Ranger Crew 1000, and even stock it's got pretty dang good clearance. My Pioneer 500 drug on EVERYTHING till I got 26" tires on it, then it still drug sometimes. This Ranger has only rubbed lightly 2-3 times. Clearance is far better than I thought it'd be.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I appreciate your response. It illustrates how different folks/families need different things.
First of all, my 2020 Ranger Crew 1000 Premium is a very different animal from your Ranger 700XP...likely better in every way, a LOT better. I have kids that want to drive too, but we are doing big family trips that involve forest roads that you have to be a legal driver to operate a vehicle on, even sections of highway connecting trails, all in all we are together and enjoying each other's company. The kids get to drive all they want around our property. When we go on these family excursions, it's good that we're all together, and it's legal, and safe. Let's keep a little perspective, these "bus" crew side by sides are only a couple of feet longer than the non-"bus" sxs. So far we've covered some rough terrain in our Ranger Crew 1000, and even stock it's got pretty dang good clearance. My Pioneer 500 drug on EVERYTHING till I got 26" tires on it, then it still drug sometimes. This Ranger has only rubbed lightly 2-3 times. Clearance is far better than I thought it'd be.
In all honesty it sounds like a Jeep could fit your needs. Dirt roads aren’t exactly something I’d run out and buy a sxs to ride on. I swear my wife’s Lexus would be at home at that rate. Even though it’s been off road to the point we were breaking stuff lol. Where we ride a 4-door besides Pioneer or Wolverine wouldnt go and that’s why we personally needed short wheelbase.
I do understand everyone needing something different for conditions or wants but if you have the rig that does as you need why are you looking elsewhere?

Last edited:
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
You could get two of the 700-4 for around the price of a 6 person rig. We have 5 kids so we started with the 1000-5 to get the smaller kids going, now we’re planning on buying a talon R 2 seater for us and let all the kids ride together on the pioneer. In retrospect i wish i would’ve just did what i said above.
I can see how some folks might want to have two 700-4's. I'll explain why I definitely would NOT for my family.
I was able to purchase my Ranger Crew 1000 Premium for $14,299 out the door from the dealer, then it took another $1,100 in fees and taxes to finish it all in AZ. So that's $15,400 total. Two 700-4's would have cost me at MINIMUM $25,000 to do the same thing, even at a killer sales price. That's a $9,600 difference!
I would then need a much longer trailer to haul both 700-4's, whereas my machine fits nicely on a small single axle trailer. Two 700-4's would be a much heavier load to tow, as well.
Neither of the 700-4's would have power steering, which means they don't meet my minimum requirements for the machine.
On top of having to pay $9600 more up front, I'd have to pay TWICE the vehicle maintenance, TWICE the insurance, TWICE the registration, year after year. I would even have to pay TWICE the upgrades to get the machines where I need/want them.
Half the family would constantly be eating the dust of the other half, which would be terrible. How we are now, all in the same machine, this is not an issue.
My machine happily and easily cruises down stretches of road at any speed I want. In fact, this past Saturday I even needed to cruise a 4-mile section of highway with a 55mph speed limit. We did so with no issues, total confidence and comfort, at about 1/2 throttle. The 700-4...this would be a problem, as it isn't happy above 40mph. We have a lot of open road and highway connectors here in AZ, so it does matter to me.
My Ranger 1000 is more comfortable on the rough trails, with larger tires and several inches more suspension travel. Comfort is important on these rides.
And I STILL wouldn't have the large, full, tough-as-nails, easy-access bed like I have on the Ranger 1000.
I can go on, but really...a six-seater "crew" configuration in a P1000 would perfect for me. Wish Honda made one, just for me.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
In all honesty it sounds like a Jeep could fit your needs. Dirt roads aren’t exactly something I’d run out and buy a sxs to ride on. I swear my wife’s Lexus would be at home at that rate. Even though it’s been off road to the point we were breaking stuff lol. Where we ride a 4-door besides Pioneer or Wolverine wouldnt go and that’s why we personally needed short wheelbase.
I do understand everyone needing something different for conditions or wants but if you have the rig that does as you need why are you looking elsewhere?
Back to my original post. I really like the Honda Pioneers. I like the Pioneer 1000, a lot. There are several other major manufacturers that sell a crew configuration, and I simply wish Honda did. My question, "am I alone in this?" I'm getting some answers here. And no, a Jeep is not the answer. A Jeep will not do what my Ranger is doing. A Jeep will not haul all six of us comfortably and legally. I don't even want a Jeep. For me, a SxS is more fun. I'm not being anti-Honda. I'm just expressing a desire and seeing if I'm alone in that desire.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Back to my original post. I really like the Honda Pioneers. I like the Pioneer 1000, a lot. There are several other major manufacturers that sell a crew configuration, and I simply wish Honda did. My question, "am I alone in this?" I'm getting some answers here. And no, a Jeep is not the answer. A Jeep will not do what my Ranger is doing. A Jeep will not haul all six of us comfortably and legally. I don't even want a Jeep. For me, a SxS is more fun. I'm not being anti-Honda. I'm just expressing a desire and seeing if I'm alone in that desire.
I’ve heard a few others voice same concerns but I sure don’t think Honda will anytime soon compete in that field. They have a niche being so short, and to jump into a crew there’d be heavy competition that’s been there for awhile and can offer too much a savings. They’d have to sell for more and most would still buy on price point.
:(

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve heard a few others voice same concerns but I sure don’t think Honda will anytime soon compete in that field. They have a niche being so short, and to jump into a crew there’d be heavy competition that’s been there for awhile and can offer too much a savings. They’d have to sell for more and most would still buy on price point.
:(
[/QUOTEI
I think you're right, and I suspect the same. Yamaha has only recently begun to take a piece of the short-wheelbase 4-seat pie with the Wolverine X4.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I’ve drove the wolvie x4 first hand, it doesn’t hold a candle to a pioneer 1000. Its more online with Kawasaki’s teryx, probably a solid bullet proof machine, but it leaves a whole lot in lacking.
But a little wider in the rear of the pioneer could be a selling point to some

advertisement
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV

Sorry, hate to break it to you, but your Ranger crew isn’t much better than my old 700xp Ranger. It’s exactly 3mph faster 48 vs 45 mph, same ground clearance and quite a bit heavier. Your new Ranger has power steering while my 700xp had Armstrong steering.

Your Ranger is also heavier (250+ lbs) slower and nearly 3’ longer than a P1k5. The only following of a P1k-5 that you’ll be doing is in open country dirt roads.

A closer overall comparison to a P1k5 would be a Polaris General.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I can see how some folks might want to have two 700-4's. I'll explain why I definitely would NOT for my family.
I was able to purchase my Ranger Crew 1000 Premium for $14,299 out the door from the dealer, then it took another $1,100 in fees and taxes to finish it all in AZ. So that's $15,400 total. Two 700-4's would have cost me at MINIMUM $25,000 to do the same thing, even at a killer sales price. That's a $9,600 difference!
I would then need a much longer trailer to haul both 700-4's, whereas my machine fits nicely on a small single axle trailer. Two 700-4's would be a much heavier load to tow, as well.
Neither of the 700-4's would have power steering, which means they don't meet my minimum requirements for the machine.
On top of having to pay $9600 more up front, I'd have to pay TWICE the vehicle maintenance, TWICE the insurance, TWICE the registration, year after year. I would even have to pay TWICE the upgrades to get the machines where I need/want them.
Half the family would constantly be eating the dust of the other half, which would be terrible. How we are now, all in the same machine, this is not an issue.
My machine happily and easily cruises down stretches of road at any speed I want. In fact, this past Saturday I even needed to cruise a 4-mile section of highway with a 55mph speed limit. We did so with no issues, total confidence and comfort, at about 1/2 throttle. The 700-4...this would be a problem, as it isn't happy above 40mph. We have a lot of open road and highway connectors here in AZ, so it does matter to me.
My Ranger 1000 is more comfortable on the rough trails, with larger tires and several inches more suspension travel. Comfort is important on these rides.
And I STILL wouldn't have the large, full, tough-as-nails, easy-access bed like I have on the Ranger 1000.
I can go on, but really...a six-seater "crew" configuration in a P1000 would perfect for me. Wish Honda made one, just for me.
You can get power steering on a 700-4 and the 7hundo’s are happy at any speed. Let’s not bash the middle bro. 😉

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
no. for trail riding here, the big machines are useless. The P1000 can be a pain to get through the woods. That's why my dad's 570 ranger crew just sits. Another relative of mine bought a ranger 900 crew 6 seater and it's hilariously large and useless in our trails. It's a surprise to me that they sell so many of those, but there must be a market for them.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Here’s a few pics from our family ride this past Saturday. 86 miles, and lots of smiles. Notice I have six passengers, plus:
Two full ice chests, a large canopy, and six camping chairs all nestled in the bed.
View attachment 199702View attachment 199703View attachment 199704View attachment 199705I’m
Ya over here those trails are literally the roads we drive in on with the motorhome to get to the trails. I occasionally get passed by 4-door Polaris while in the camper van but the Honda never gets passed by one in our trails. Just not possible. I never see Polaris in the real trails, occasionally a dirt bike but that’s it.
Everywhere is different though, I’m glad to you get out and are enjoying things. Especially with family involved! That’s the most important part.

Last edited:
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve drove the wolvie x4 first hand, it doesn’t hold a candle to a pioneer 1000. Its more online with Kawasaki’s teryx, probably a solid bullet proof machine, but it leaves a whole lot in lacking.
But a little wider in the rear of the pioneer could be a selling point to some
My only complaint with the Wolverine is I really don’t care for the look of the backside, but that’s personal/subjective.

Reactions: Isaiah and Mudwing
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry, hate to break it to you, but your Ranger crew isn’t much better than my old 700xp Ranger. It’s exactly 3mph faster 48 vs 45 mph, same ground clearance and quite a bit heavier. Your new Ranger has power steering while my 700xp had Armstrong steering.

Your Ranger is also heavier (250+ lbs) slower and nearly 3’ longer than a P1k5. The only following of a P1k-5 that you’ll be doing is in open country dirt roads.

A closer overall comparison to a P1k5 would be a Polaris General.
I’ve personally had my Ranger 1000 over 57 mph and it wasn’t topped out, so that’s at least 12 mph faster than your Ranger 700xp...check your sources? The 700xp was a good machine in 2006, I’m not knocking it, I just prefer accurate facts. My original post was not comparing my Ranger Crew 1000 to P1K-5. My object was to point out that the P1K-5 does NOT meet my needs to haul people and cargo...so I wish Honda made a P1K Crew. I really like Honda’s machines, and I’ve owned a lot of them. Just wish they made one for my family.

Reactions: TripleB
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
You can get power steering on a 700-4 and the 7hundo’s are happy at any speed. Let’s not bash the middle bro. 😉
I’m not bashing...each machine has its place. I just spent 18 months driving the heck out of a Pioneer 500 and loved it. I’m just pointing out the facts as to why one or two P700-4’s wouldn’t meet my needs. A previous comment stated that someone can buy two P700’s for the price of one Ranger Crew. To me that assumes the least expensive 700-4, and even then there’s a $9600 gap in that scenario. An EPS-equipped 700-4 Deluxe widens that gap to over $12.5K. And like I stated earlier, I want a machine that can go 55mph. The P700-4 won’t go 55, or 50, or even 45. It doesn’t meet my needs. Since 2018 I’ve been planning and going on fun 2-passenger trips in the P500. For 2020 I’m planning family excursions. Not knocking the 700...just don’t have any use for one right now.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
no. for trail riding here, the big machines are useless. The P1000 can be a pain to get through the woods. That's why my dad's 570 ranger crew just sits. Another relative of mine bought a ranger 900 crew 6 seater and it's hilariously large and useless in our trails. It's a surprise to me that they sell so many of those, but there must be a market for them.
Out west we have plenty of rough terrain, and more of it. The difference is we don’t have the extremely TIGHT WOODS you have. That’s where the length seems to be causing the biggest issue out East. Length can also create breakover angle issues, but that is resolved with bigger tires, a lift, skids, and a winch.

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!