P1000 Does anyone else wish...6-seat 1000?

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Ya over here those trails are literally the roads we drive in on with the motorhome to get to the trails. I occasionally get passed by 4-door Polaris while in the camper van but the Honda never gets passed by one in our trails. Just not possible. I never see Polaris in the real trails, occasionally a dirt bike but that’s it.
Everywhere is different though, I’m glad to you get out and are enjoying things. Especially with family involved! That’s the most important part.
Hey now! Be fair, I didn’t take any pictures of the rough trails we rode because we were riding. You’re not taking your motor home down the rough trails we rode. “Just not possible.” ;) I’ve never ridden out East so I can’t speak to that... Observation: during our 86-mile loop this past Saturday I saw (2) Pioneer 1000’s, about 25 Polaris RZR’s, about 25 Can Am X3’s, (2) Polaris General 4’s, (1) other Polaris Ranger Crew, and (1) Can Am Defender HD10.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’m not bashing...each machine has its place. I just spent 18 months driving the heck out of a Pioneer 500 and loved it. I’m just pointing out the facts as to why one or two P700-4’s wouldn’t meet my needs. A previous comment stated that someone can buy two P700’s for the price of one Ranger Crew. To me that assumes the least expensive 700-4, and even then there’s a $9600 gap in that scenario. An EPS-equipped 700-4 Deluxe widens that gap to over $12.5K. And like I stated earlier, I want a machine that can go 55mph. The P700-4 won’t go 55, or 50, or even 45. It doesn’t meet my needs. Since 2018 I’ve been planning and going on fun 2-passenger trips in the P500. For 2020 I’m planning family excursions. Not knocking the 700...just don’t have any use for one right now.
I can respect that. 😎
On the real, I wouldn’t mind seeing the big H coming out with a Pioneer crew. I would consider buying it. 😉

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey now! Be fair, I didn’t take any pictures of the rough trails we rode because we were riding. You’re not taking your motor home down the rough trails we rode. “Just not possible.” ;) I’ve never ridden out East so I can’t speak to that... Observation: during our 86-mile loop this past Saturday I saw (2) Pioneer 1000’s, about 25 Polaris RZR’s, about 25 Can Am X3’s, (2) Polaris General 4’s, (1) other Polaris Ranger Crew, and (1) Can Am Defender HD10.
You’d be surprised at the stupid s*** we do sometimes lol. Not generally afraid of scratches or breaking stuff. However I’ve been trying to be better.
Just saying the long wheelbase doesn’t work at all here. There are a lot of big rigs around but they do have to stay in a completely different path. I’ve been around plenty of of them and I’m always pushing trees over so they can get around somewhat. its tight here for sure. If I was running dessert or dunes we’d probably have different rigs. Like we’ve both said different rigs for different areas.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You’d be surprised at the stupid s*** we do sometimes lol. Not generally afraid of scratches or breaking stuff. However I’ve been trying to be better.
Just saying the long wheelbase doesn’t work at all here. There are a lot of big rigs around but they do have to stay in a completely different path. I’ve been around plenty of of them and I’m always pushing trees over so they can get around somewhat. its tight here for sure. If I was running dessert or dunes we’d probably have different rigs. Like we’ve both said different rigs for different areas.
I have the answer, a Honda Goose neck crew! HA! 🤪 OW NO, I can hear the gears grinding! HA!

dukeANhammer

dukeANhammer

Nov 18, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can see how some folks might want to have two 700-4's. I'll explain why I definitely would NOT for my family.
I was able to purchase my Ranger Crew 1000 Premium for $14,299 out the door from the dealer, then it took another $1,100 in fees and taxes to finish it all in AZ. So that's $15,400 total. Two 700-4's would have cost me at MINIMUM $25,000 to do the same thing, even at a killer sales price. That's a $9,600 difference!
I would then need a much longer trailer to haul both 700-4's, whereas my machine fits nicely on a small single axle trailer. Two 700-4's would be a much heavier load to tow, as well.
Neither of the 700-4's would have power steering, which means they don't meet my minimum requirements for the machine.
On top of having to pay $9600 more up front, I'd have to pay TWICE the vehicle maintenance, TWICE the insurance, TWICE the registration, year after year. I would even have to pay TWICE the upgrades to get the machines where I need/want them.
Half the family would constantly be eating the dust of the other half, which would be terrible. How we are now, all in the same machine, this is not an issue.
My machine happily and easily cruises down stretches of road at any speed I want. In fact, this past Saturday I even needed to cruise a 4-mile section of highway with a 55mph speed limit. We did so with no issues, total confidence and comfort, at about 1/2 throttle. The 700-4...this would be a problem, as it isn't happy above 40mph. We have a lot of open road and highway connectors here in AZ, so it does matter to me.
My Ranger 1000 is more comfortable on the rough trails, with larger tires and several inches more suspension travel. Comfort is important on these rides.
And I STILL wouldn't have the large, full, tough-as-nails, easy-access bed like I have on the Ranger 1000.
I can go on, but really...a six-seater "crew" configuration in a P1000 would perfect for me. Wish Honda made one, just for me.
I didn’t provide an accurate answer to your question. Personally no, i would not purchase a six seater. It would not work for the amount of riders i have. I’m sure the sixth seat would lengthen the frame, much like your ranger. The ranger is too long and too low (for its length) for the type of riding we do, we rarely hit 25 mph and our cargo consists of a beer cooler and a tree saver. This is why i suggested what i did.
I’d love to ride in AZ and see what it’s all about, I’ve seen pictures from dgrider that look amazing.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Watching video from some of the Pioneer takeovers you guys ride some crazy tough trails.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I didn’t provide an accurate answer to your question. Personally no, i would not purchase a six seater. It would not work for the amount of riders i have. I’m sure the sixth seat would lengthen the frame, much like your ranger. The ranger is too long and too low (for its length) for the type of riding we do, we rarely hit 25 mph and our cargo consists of a beer cooler and a tree saver. This is why i suggested what i did.
I’d love to ride in AZ and see what it’s all about, I’ve seen pictures from dgrider that look amazing.
We've got a big gap between us, otherwise I'd say join us for a Saturday ride! I would like to try riding out east sometime. My brother-in-law lives in Alabama now and he was telling how different it is (he is from AZ as well). He said that everything is covered with trees, so people end up riding waterways, which is why mudding is such a big deal. Geography obviously obviously shapes how we play.

dukeANhammer

dukeANhammer

Nov 18, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s mostly where we ride, Alabama. There’s no short supply of mud, that’s for sure. You don’t always have to get in the mud but it’s always there. There’s lots of twisting trails through the woods, that can involve mud (even at the top) rocks and steep rock faces. My profile pic is from the top of Gent’s Mt. It’s great place to ride but not really anywhere to “stretch” the machine out and see what it can do.

advertisement
Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Man, the first two sentences of this statement is an understatement. Having spent a small amount of time with some of these guys at the "Secret takeover" I agree 100%. To stay with this conversation, I rode both days with a great guy that was driving a 4 seat Talon. He did a good job but it was difficult for him to make a lot of the turns. He did it, but he had to work harder than the rest of us.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Man, the first two sentences of this statement is an understatement. Having spent a small amount of time with some of these guys at the "Secret takeover" I agree 100%. To stay with this conversation, I rode both days with a great guy that was driving a 4 seat Talon. He did a good job but it was difficult for him to make a lot of the turns. He did it, but he had to work harder than the rest of us.
Yep, you were riding with Plummer. Man can get around the trails

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
That’s mostly where we ride, Alabama. There’s no short supply of mud, that’s for sure. You don’t always have to get in the mud but it’s always there. There’s lots of twisting trails through the woods, that can involve mud (even at the top) rocks and steep rock faces. My profile pic is from the top of Gent’s Mt. It’s great place to ride but not really anywhere to “stretch” the machine out and see what it can do.
Tell me your favorite places to ride in Alabama. I’ll pass them along to my brother in law. He’s always looking for new (good) places to ride out there. He’s in Prattville.

Reactions: Isaiah
dukeANhammer

dukeANhammer

Nov 18, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Top trails is about 2hrs from him, that’s where we mostly go. Indian mountain opened up about a month ago, haven’t been but heard it’s enjoyable. Stoney Lonesome is also an option but haven’t been there either. We prefer top trails but will ride on family land and county dirt roads occasionally.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Oh, now you guys are just being mean! It's discrimination, I tell ya.;) Plummer is allowed to play in HIS "bus" (Talon 4-seater) but I'm not allowed to play in my "bus"? Check out these numbers...
- Wheelbase: Ranger Crew = 113", Talon 4 = 116.4" (Talon has 3.4" longer wheelbase)
- Length: Ranger Crew = 152", Talon 4 = 152.6" (Talon is .6" longer overall)
- Width: Ranger Crew = 62.5", Talon 4 = 64" (Talon is 1.5" wider)
- Height: Ranger Crew = 76", Talon 4 = 78.5" (Talon is 2.5" taller)
- Turning Radius: The Ranger Crew turns tighter than the Talon 4-seater's = 21.3 ft, but no official spec given by Polaris.
- Ground Clearance: Ranger Crew = 12.0", Talon 4 = 12.8" (Talon has .8" more clearance)
- Weight (negligible): Ranger Crew = @1884 lbs wet, Talon 4 = 1735 lbs wet (Talon is about 150 lbs lighter)

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh, now you guys are just being mean! It's discrimination, I tell ya.;) Plummer is allowed to play in HIS "bus" (Talon 4-seater) but I'm not allowed to play in my "bus"? Check out these numbers...
- Wheelbase: Ranger Crew = 113", Talon 4 = 116.4" (Talon has 3.4" longer wheelbase)
- Length: Ranger Crew = 152", Talon 4 = 152.6" (Talon is .6" longer overall)
- Width: Ranger Crew = 62.5", Talon 4 = 64" (Talon is 1.5" wider)
- Height: Ranger Crew = 76", Talon 4 = 78.5" (Talon is 2.5" taller)
- Turning Radius: The Ranger Crew turns tighter than the Talon 4-seater's = 21.3 ft, but no official spec given by Polaris.
- Ground Clearance: Ranger Crew = 12.0", Talon 4 = 12.8" (Talon has .8" more clearance)
- Weight (negligible): Ranger Crew = @1884 lbs wet, Talon 4 = 1735 lbs wet (Talon is about 150 lbs lighter)
@Plumber32 was not riding a Talon. He was in a P1K-5 leading the 6 Hondas and one Yamaha. He was followed by his wife (in the Yamaha), then the three of us lesser skilled people(one of which was the Talon) who was followed by Bad_bowtie, and Windrock 1000 was last in line. It's all good.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!