P500 Does anyone run 26x8x12

P

PNWGuy

Same size I went with and am also in Idaho (well, on the border, but I only ride in Idaho...).

Very happy with the set up!

JNqL76jySuafAW7pcvmHhQ 1

0wVtCoO7Sp i9fHbsNq9 g 1

J9Vw3ARbQLK KDm11gOanQ

P

PNWGuy

And in regards to tipping, it can happen anytime and will surprise you with these things. I've had several close calls and all were while going under 5 mph on gnarly trails. The one time I did tip was barely crawling over a kelly hump that was deeply rutted...

N6aP1baARbu2eCF vpXe6A

Lilred500

Lilred500

Keep it on the rubber side
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
Notice much difference downhill in first against compression? Does it hold back like with the 24” tires?
Yes. Haven’t noticed any difference it seems to like the 27s much better than stock

Reactions: Cbrunson
P

PNWGuy

Notice much difference downhill in first against compression? Does it hold back like with the 24” tires?
Since we are both wheeling in Idaho (presumably mountain Forest Service trails and not open desert like down around Boise and Twin Falls) then I can tell you that the 26" tire makes a world of difference in capability. I took my bone-stock P500 out and wheeled a fairly technical trail to Bald Mountain Lookout in Northern Idaho. I was bottoming out on a lot of Kelly humps and although the stock tires were adequate for traction, I knew I needed something more aggressive for the trails.

Here is the stock P500 on it's first trail run. As picked up from the dealer. All I added was the rear rack, which was simply a cheap 36" x 48" roof rack for an SUV on Amazon for like $80, mounted sideways. I've added a tool box and other accessories as needed since then, but it's a cheap and great foundation to build upon...

IMG 20180727 112658821

When I went from stock 24" to the 26" tires, I noticed the difference in ground clearance. I ran that trail a couple of months later with the new tires and the difference in clearance was noticeable. Didn't scrape once and I rarely bottom out anymore. I didn't notice any negatives as far as gearing disadvantages either. I bought a set of some cheap but well-rated tires off of Amazon and have never had to put it in 4wd due to traction issues.

The other mod I did was to simply take 5 minutes and disconnect the rear sway bar. This is an old off-roader's trick I picked up along the way. Doing so allows the rear suspension to articulate more and allows more contact with the ground. I did notice a difference in leaning on the roadway, but off-road, it feels more stable since the tires stay in contact with the dirt more. Since 90% of my riding is on trails and under 15 mph, it works great for me.

Cbrunson

Cbrunson

Sep 30, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Since we are both wheeling in Idaho (presumably mountain Forest Service trails and not open desert like down around Boise and Twin Falls) then I can tell you that the 26" tire makes a world of difference in capability. I took my bone-stock P500 out and wheeled a fairly technical trail to Bald Mountain Lookout in Northern Idaho. I was bottoming out on a lot of Kelly humps and although the stock tires were adequate for traction, I knew I needed something more aggressive for the trails.

Here is the stock P500 on it's first trail run. As picked up from the dealer. All I added was the rear rack, which was simply a cheap 36" x 48" roof rack for an SUV on Amazon for like $80, mounted sideways. I've added a tool box and other accessories as needed since then, but it's a cheap and great foundation to build upon...

View attachment 167585

When I went from stock 24" to the 26" tires, I noticed the difference in ground clearance. I ran that trail a couple of months later with the new tires and the difference in clearance was noticeable. Didn't scrape once and I rarely bottom out anymore. I didn't notice any negatives as far as gearing disadvantages either. I bought a set of some cheap but well-rated tires off of Amazon and have never had to put it in 4wd due to traction issues.

The other mod I did was to simply take 5 minutes and disconnect the rear sway bar. This is an old off-roader's trick I picked up along the way. Doing so allows the rear suspension to articulate more and allows more contact with the ground. I did notice a difference in leaning on the roadway, but off-road, it feels more stable since the tires stay in contact with the dirt more. Since 90% of my riding is on trails and under 15 mph, it works great for me.

Thanks. Most of my riding is tight mountain trails. It’s mostly rocks and clearance has been an issue. I took the sway bar off before I ever rode it. I knew from the RZR 800 I had before that it made a huge difference. Most of the trails are 1st-3rd gear trails so same here with the stability concerns. My RZR had a 2” lift and sway bars removed. It had quite a bit more body roll than this Honda does.

I mostly just need new tires since I’ve punched holes in the stockers and I want to go with at least a 6 ply. Might as well go taller too.

A

Avi8or

Nov 6, 2019
Mo
Ownership

1. 500
No spacers yet. Going to add 1.5” soon no rubbing at all right now and I’ve had it binded up as tight as it would go b

Thanks for the feedback. It looks great on 27s.

These must be the A033 Sunf tires?

Reactions: Lilred500
Lilred500

Lilred500

Keep it on the rubber side
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the feedback. It looks great on 27s.

These must be the A033 Sunf tires?
Yeah I’m pretty sure there the ao33 tires there the bighorn look alike.

ScottB

ScottB

Mar 4, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

What size 26” tires are you using? Stock rims? Did you have a tire place put the tires on rims for you?

thx!!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
What size 26” tires are you using? Stock rims? Did you have a tire place put the tires on rims for you?

thx!!

Just an FYI. Someone posted a couple months ago that a lot of tire shops wouldn't mount atv tires anymore. I've been going to Belle for yrs and they've always done them for me. Recently went there and they wouldn't do it. Said they blew the bead off some guy's tire and had to pay him for it, now they won't do any. Keep in mind that the last time they did it for me, I told them to set the pressure at 10 psi. Max on those tires was 12 psi. When I brought them home and checked them, they were all over the map, one at 28, one at 32. I understand higher pressure to set the bead but they shouldn't have let them leave that way. So it's no wonder. :rolleyes:
When they refused to mount them i went to Discount, said they would do it but wanted $20 a tire. Told them that was BS and I've bought many sets of tires from them, he dropped it to $16 but that's still crazy, it's not like they have to balance them. I did it but next time around I went to a local mom&pop place, $10 a tire, that's more like it. FWIW

• Sad
Reactions: Splorin and Mudder
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI

thx!!
Just an FYI. Someone posted a couple months ago that a lot of tire shops wouldn't mount atv tires anymore. I've been going to Belle for yrs and they've always done them for me. Recently went there and they wouldn't do it. Said they blew the bead off some guy's tire and had to pay him for it, now they won't do any. Keep in mind that the last time they did it for me, I told them to set the pressure at 10 psi. Max on those tires was 12 psi. When I brought them home and checked them, they were all over the map, one at 28, one at 32. I understand higher pressure to set the bead but they shouldn't have let them leave that way. So it's no wonder. :rolleyes:
When they refused to mount them i went to Discount, said they would do it but wanted $20 a tire. Told them that was BS and I've bought many sets of tires from them, he dropped it to $16 but that's still crazy, it's not like they have to balance them. I did it but next time around I went to a local mom&pop place, $10 a tire, that's more like it. FWIW
Local mom&pop tire shop did mine for $10 a tire also. 👍🏼

Reactions: trigger
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I now wish I had the same width all around for rotation. Lots of rear wheel scrubbing has taken its toll. Will be trying out the HF tire changer in the near future.

Reactions: trigger
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
wally world, $5 each (new tire on new rim).
swapping old tire for new on existing rim, $10

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!