Multi Has anyone retorqued their wheel spacers?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm seeing a lot of chatter among facebook engineers on the interwebs about retorquing wheel spacers every x amount of miles. Mostly in the Jeep community. I can see this as a good idea in some situations, but...

Problem is, I installed mine with blue loctite at 85ish percent of wheel torque, so wouldn't turning the lug nut at all "break" the loctite?
I mean...I guess you could go back to that original spec and see if it moves, but if it does, wouldn't you then have to start over with new loctite?

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm seeing a lot of chatter among facebook engineers on the interwebs about retorquing wheel spacers every x amount of miles. Mostly in the Jeep community. I can see this as a good idea in some situations, but...

Problem is, I installed mine with blue loctite at 85ish percent of wheel torque, so wouldn't turning the lug nut at all "break" the loctite?
I mean...I guess you could go back to that original spec and see if it moves, but if it does, wouldn't you then have to start over with new loctite?
I never re torqued mine. I blue locktighted them and they never loosened. Hell use red locktight and don’t worry about it... Jb weld them bisnatches....

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We use blue Loctite and we have not had to re-torque them. It never hurts to check your tires and lugs before going out but you should not have to retorque

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sounds like a NO from the panel.
We use blue Loctite and we have not had to re-torque them. It never hurts to check your tires and lugs before going out but you should not have to retorque
Usually recheck the wheels a few miles into the next ride if I've had them off.

Reactions: DanDan and rtn001
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Divide whatever you read on the internet by two and you'll get closer to reality. I didn't even use locktite on mine. I dont use locktite on my wheel lugs either. I also didn't use a torque wrench. I DID forget to tighten lugs on one wheel for the test ride after install. Just tightened it up when I noticed.

Reactions: DanDan
SWB

SWB

Apr 22, 2019
South Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
My actually thoughts on it is to torque spacers to recommended specs. Loctite if you wish. Install wheels and tires torque to spec. A lot of times impacts will over torque studs causing them to stretch. Which causes other problems. Ride it for little while, remove and inspect spacers. If everything looks good assembly tires and wheels and torque again. Check it every now an then.

Last edited:
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I used blue on the spacer but nothing on my wheel studs. You are correct if you use lock tight you can not check the torque. You can however inspect them from time to time to be sure the spacer is tight against the axle. Look where the spacer mouths to the axle for any gap, wiggle the tire and wheel assembly to be sure there is no movement and also check the spacers over from time to time for cracks. I feel that checking them for cracks periodically is the most important check.

One more thing to add if you do find one loose you should remove the spacer and clean the surface between the axle and spacer and where the nuts seat. If there is any junk in there it will crush and you will loose the torque on the studs.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I used red loctite on my RB3 spacers. They have been on for over 1000 miles without issue. I've rotated tires and the spacers are doing just fine. I agree trying to torque them will break the loctite loose and negate your progress.

Reactions: DanDan and DG Rider
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't know if you could use a torque marker so you can visually check to see if they have loosened. Haven't used any myself but have seen a few fasteners that have them on them. Just a thought.
Upload 2019 7 10 8 8 36

Last edited:
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Do know if you could use a torque marker so you can visually check to see if they have loosened. Haven't used any myself but have seen a few fasteners that have them on them. Just a thought.
View attachment 140499
I have used that when I was is school changing oil for a living. It was basically so you could see if anyone had tampered with the drain plug. I would think a good paint marker would work just as well. Just like the little plastic arrows you see on truck lug nuts. If they back off you will have a visual indicator.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!