P500 Does Torque Locker need Power steering?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I watched that video back when he installed the locker. I didn't think he had power steering on his P500.
My 500 steers hard enough without P/S. Years ago, (1985) i had a old Jeep CJ-7 that had a 232 V6 Buick engine and I got stuck in the snow and popped the front diff. Money was tight so I welded the spider gears up solid. I'd unlock the front hubs to drive it on the road and off road, it took both hands and a buddy to steer it.
I am assuming the torque locker is able to ratchet around turns to some degree but stay locked when you lose traction on one wheel. Those of you who have the Tq/L , can you hear or feel it ratcheting?
If you're driving aggressively in 4wd you will feel it in the steering- not the ratcheting, but that it's locked, but other wise I only hear the ratcheting faintly- never feel it. It works amazingly well. I've plowed snow with it, and was still making tight turns while pushing, on just wet pavement with no issue at all. In 2wd you won't know it's there.

Reactions: Duckhunt

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!