P1000 Don't be afraid of low range

P

PioneerDuluth

Mar 28, 2018
Duluth, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 base p1000 and was taking my future brother in law for a ride and we went off trail. Still 8-10" of wet spring snow on the ground and was driving up a slanted uphill grade. I had put it into 4-wheel before we started but got jammed up by a hidden log stopping our slow, but steady forward momentum. Backed up, locked the front diff, and made another (slow, not by choice) run at it. Hit the log again and stalled out the engine. That's a first for me with this machine. Started the engine back up, backed up, and determined to make it over and continue, thought maybe I'll try the low range. BOOM! ground over the log and advanced up the hill like a little Sherman tank.

Long story long, even though it's a pain in the ass to come to a complete stop and shift (both the engine and traction modes), do right by your machine and use the proper tool for the job.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure I'm the exception here, based on comments I've seen from other members, but I almost exclusively use low range. Of course, I'm also almost exclusively using my machine for work so I probably just haven't discovered the virtues of high range yet.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure I'm the exception here, based on comments I've seen from other members, but I almost exclusively use low range. Of course, I'm also almost exclusively using my machine for work so I probably just haven't discovered the virtues of high range yet.
You're not the only one, I always use low manual on the trails. Only use high on the roads.

D

DDDonkey

Unless I am at the dunes, if I am in 4wd I use low for the most part.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm with y'all, 95% of the time I'm in low range. Unless you're going over 25 or 30 mile an hour, it just doesn't seem necessary to being high.

I will also use manual mode if I'm putting around as the Pioneer does seem to search a little bit and low Auto at slower speeds.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Use low most of the time also unless I’m on the gravel roads. Just what I was told from my salesman.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!