Don't forget to re torque your new wheels!!!

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
This happened on my Rancher, less than 200 miles on a new set of wheels. Too busy tinkering with the pioneer, forgot to re torque. $150+ lesson. Kid was riding when wheel came off, luckily he didn't get hurt. About 17 miles from the truck. Had to steal a lug nut off each of the other wheels. Stopped to tighten every few miles because the holes were so wallowed out, they wouldn't keep the nuts tight.

Sheared one stud, bent another. 1 stud wouldn't bite into the hub anymore, kept spinning every time we stopped to re tighten.
IMG 08201

Wallowed out the lug holes. Wheel is toast.
IMG 08211
IMG 08221

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
That sucks!!! Glad your boy is ok!!

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Good reminder here! I retorqued my new wheels 3 times after short rides before they didn't budge anymore!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I should go check mine today. Thanks for the heads up

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
in the true sense of the word, no i would not be parking lot pimping around my local "hood"

i just use that as im too lazy to type out neighborhood. :)

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
in the true sense of the word, no i would not be parking lot pimping around my local "hood"

i just use that as im too lazy to type out neighborhood. :)
Lol I was just playing man. I'm sure all areas have a "hood" lol

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is the correct (Honda specified) torque?? My manual is on order, have yet to receive it.

Thanks!

Reactions: sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope you get yours quicker than I did. Paid for 2 day shipping and received it in 4 days I believe.

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
What is the correct (Honda specified) torque?? My manual is on order, have yet to receive it.

Thanks!

70ftlbs

this is neither honda specific nor wheel manufacturer specific. it is 100% based on the fastener diameter, thread pitch and alloy. My personal touch is the extra few ft-lbs and that after bolting on the wheels, make a run around the hood and retorque and that is from experience.

Reactions: Manwell
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
70ftlbs

this is neither honda specific nor wheel manufacturer specific. it is 100% based on the fastener diameter, thread pitch and alloy. My personal touch is the extra few ft-lbs and that after bolting on the wheels, make a run around the hood and retorque and that is from experience.
Thanks!

I see you are in Palm Bay, my girlfriends mother is down there in a nursing home. We own a property in Melbourne - in fact, she just left a few minutes ago headed that way. Meeting with insurance claims adjuster concerning roof damage on the house. PITA...

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
Thanks!

I see you are in Palm Bay, my girlfriends mother is down there in a nursing home. We own a property in Melbourne - in fact, she just left a few minutes ago headed that way. Meeting with insurance claims adjuster concerning roof damage on the house. PITA...

let me know if they need any help with that roof. have some connections around here. also to make sure insurance paid what they are supposed to pay for. always glad to help.

Reactions: Manwell
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
let me know if they need any help with that roof. have some connections around here. also to make sure insurance paid what they are supposed to pay for. always glad to help.
I appreciate your offer of assistance, but I think we have a good handle on it. It's a rental property and the management company is all over it, it's what they do.

T

twsagslrs

Mar 9, 2019
Ennice
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This happened on my Rancher, less than 200 miles on a new set of wheels. Too busy tinkering with the pioneer, forgot to re torque. $150+ lesson. Kid was riding when wheel came off, luckily he didn't get hurt. About 17 miles from the truck. Had to steal a lug nut off each of the other wheels. Stopped to tighten every few miles because the holes were so wallowed out, they wouldn't keep the nuts tight.

Sheared one stud, bent another. 1 stud wouldn't bite into the hub anymore, kept spinning every time we stopped to re tighten.
View attachment 11849

Wallowed out the lug holes. Wheel is toast.
View attachment 11850 View attachment 11851

T

twsagslrs

Mar 9, 2019
Ennice
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol I am in the same boat with my Honda pioneer 1005. How did u get the wheel off with that one still connected and free spinning? I have one broke off and two that is free spinning. I can't get the wheel off.

D

Deleted member 3748

Lol I am in the same boat with my Honda pioneer 1005. How did u get the wheel off with that one still connected and free spinning? I have one broke off and two that is free spinning. I can't get the wheel off.
Can you grab it with vise-grips from the back?

T

twsagslrs

Mar 9, 2019
Ennice
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you grab it with vise-grips from the back?
I may can get in there with needle nose pliers. The head of the nut is flush with the wheel. What all did u have to buy to get it fixed?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!