BOX1

P700 Drive shaft boot ripped

v908

v908

Feb 14, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Ownership

1. 700-2
My Pioneer 700 sees pretty light to normal duty (mostly hauling stuff around my 5 acres), so I was surprised to see the boot covering the universal joint to the rear driveshaft was torn. Any idea how much of a job it is to replace it, or what I might expect to pay at a dealership? All the other boots around the machine look fine, so I don't know why this one decided to split.
20230312 170430

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My Pioneer 700 sees pretty light to normal duty (mostly hauling stuff around my 5 acres), so I was surprised to see the boot covering the universal joint to the rear driveshaft was torn. Any idea how much of a job it is to replace it, or what I might expect to pay at a dealership? All the other boots around the machine look fine, so I don't know why this one decided to split.View attachment 378597
I bet if you go to the search bar you'll find all the information you need and pictures?

Reactions: NewHere2 and FJC 79
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My Pioneer 700 sees pretty light to normal duty (mostly hauling stuff around my 5 acres), so I was surprised to see the boot covering the universal joint to the rear driveshaft was torn. Any idea how much of a job it is to replace it, or what I might expect to pay at a dealership? All the other boots around the machine look fine, so I don't know why this one decided to split.View attachment 378597
Unbolt the rear diff, you should have enough room to slide the driveshaft off the engine side. If you want to completely remove the driveshaft you'll need to disassemble the rear brake also

H

Hattonr

Dec 18, 2022
Poconos
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've got the same thing. I picked up my 2017 700M4 this past winter from an off-road adventure sports place (so, rented and rode hard). Shortly after getting it home I had back surgery and JUST getting to it. This week I rebuilt the motor (cylinder, piston, rings, plugs, O2 sensor) and finally got it running again. I have the boot on order and expected next week, as well as a new battery and air filter. Great to see it's not that big a deal because the service manual makes it appear to be a total nightmare!

H

Hattonr

Dec 18, 2022
Poconos
Ownership

1. 700-4
I thought the same thing...until I took a closer look and realized that there are holes in the yoke ends that would allow dirt and such to get into the splines.
Yeah, not too big a deal. I see the U-Joint is 'peened' into place, which kinda sucks... but I pulled the yoke... pretty simple, 3 bolts on the rear diff and the one on the lower control arm JUST so you can get the diff bolt out.
Removed the yoke and threw it in the parts washer to clean it up, now waiting on the new boot. For $15 I'll feel better knowing it's there. I'll probably soak the thing in oil and pack some grease in with it, just in case. I know it's a U-Joint, not a CV... just wish they had a grease fitting. Also found out the back wheel bearings are shot. Seems every time I touch something on this 700 I find a new problem!

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is dumbest advice anyone could ever give. All joints are sealed but they still need grease. What an idiot!
This coming from an apparent Honda engineer…
Who must know all the ins and outs of a pioneer…
So glad you posted this information.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!