BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok so I got this installed tonight and when I start my machine the light comes on within a few seconds. Then when I shut it off it doesn’t shut off. If I flick my light switch on and off then it will. Do I have something wired up wrong or is that how it is?

View attachment 76657
Nope normal it has to discharge

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Little_g
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok so I got this installed tonight and when I start my machine the light comes on within a few seconds. Then when I shut it off it doesn’t shut off. If I flick my light switch on and off then it will. Do I have something wired up wrong or is that how it is?

View attachment 76657
It will shut off finally

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nope normal it has to discharge

Ahhhhh thank you! Just got done searching YouTube as I got a notification and that persons did the same thing. I’m not the best with wiring stuff so I wanna make sure I had it right and also don’t want the damn thing to burn up LOL! Thanks again!

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When both batteries drops below 12.7 volts it disconnects. When one is above 12.7 it reconnects to charge the second one. THATS how it knows which is the main battery it’s the one getting charged above 12.7 volts first.

Which is why I have my battery tender on the aux battery since it gets used a lot while the motor is off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Little_g and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ahhhhh thank you! Just got done searching YouTube as I got a notification and that persons did the same thing. I’m not the best with wiring stuff so I wanna make sure I had it right and also don’t want the damn thing to burn up LOL! Thanks again!
Np

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 76657
If you are talking about the little blue light, yes it stays on till the voltage drops, like using headlamps without it running. I had the same issue and called mfr. It's normal operation, and it will not draw down battery.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you are talking about the little blue light, yes it stays on till the voltage drops, like using headlamps without it running. I had the same issue and called mfr. It's normal operation, and it will not draw down battery.
Yep!

Reactions: Little_g and BWAF
djracer

djracer

Jun 2, 2017
Wetumpka, Al.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are on a budget you can add a second battery without the isolator and add the isolator as you can afford to. i have done car audio professionally since 1986. I added my battery in without to start with. I tell people its like having a bigger bank to pull from. I dont run much at all without themachine running. This is not the prefered method but still better than having the tiny battery by itself. it similar to replacing the oe tiny battery with a full size car battery

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks again everyone for all the info. I wasn’t gonna do it so soon but I didn’t wanna take my chances and I know I probably wouldn’t have hurt anything until I was really able to afford it but I pulled it off and made it work. Just a few less cold ones on the weekends for a while lol. Seriously done with the upgrades and acessories for a while. Now it’s time to get out and ride. Have a good weekend everyone!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
If you are on a budget you can add a second battery without the isolator and add the isolator as you can afford to. i have done car audio professionally since 1986. I added my battery in without to start with. I tell people its like having a bigger bank to pull from. I dont run much at all without themachine running. This is not the prefered method but still better than having the tiny battery by itself. it similar to replacing the oe tiny battery with a full size car battery

Been running two batteries wired in parallel and no isolator for over a year now and no problems. Like you, I rarely use anything electrical without having the engine running. Batteries ran in parallel are as one, charge and discharge at the same rate which is ideal for the life of the batteries. Using an isolator puts them out of sync, too many short runs using an isolator and the second battery will never see a charge. Never plan on adding one to mine. ;)

W

Wils

Mar 27, 2018
Menomonie wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is the approximate cost to add the second battery with all items included; battery, insulator etc? How difficult is it to hook up?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been running two batteries wired in parallel and no isolator for over a year now and no problems. Like you, I rarely use anything electrical without having the engine running. Batteries ran in parallel are as one, charge and discharge at the same rate which is ideal for the life of the batteries. Using an isolator puts them out of sync, too many short runs using an isolator and the second battery will never see a charge. Never plan on adding one to mine. ;)

Personally, I would only run 2 batteries without an isolator if both batteries are identical. If they are different sizes and/or CCA, one will work harder than the other.

Reactions: BWAF and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Personally, I would only run 2 batteries without an isolator if both batteries are identical. If they are different sizes and/or CCA, one will work harder than the other.

Correct, which is the rule when wiring batteries in parallel, two like batteries that were ideally purchased at the same time. If one is weak they're both weak. If one dies it takes the other one out. Whether using an isolator or not they are still wired in parallel and unless you use your electrical with the engine off all the time an isolator is useless. What happens if the engine has stalled out, you are trying to winch out and your secondary battery is drained? I would prefer a manual switch to draw off of the primary as opposed to dead in the water.

Reactions: Eltobgi and BWAF
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What is the approximate cost to add the second battery with all items included; battery, insulator etc? How difficult is it to hook up?
I paid $120 for the same exact battery That’s in my machine and I think it was $87 for the isolator off amazon.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger i think part of the issue is what you are trying to achieve. With a P500 the engine is reliable and simple like a brick outhouse.
The P1k guys are trying to make sure the transmission has 12 volts no matter what.
If the voltage drops too much while winching the transmission will do bad things.
Not trying to defend the P1k guys, just making sure if someone new sees this later they stop and think a moment.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger i think part of the issue is what you are trying to achieve. With a P500 the engine is reliable and simple like a brick outhouse.
The P1k guys are trying to make sure the transmission has 12 volts no matter what.
If the voltage drops too much while winching the transmission will do bad things.
Not trying to defend the P1k guys, just making sure if someone new sees this later they stop and think a moment.

Good point Lee, never thought about that being a 500 guy. Also adds more substance to my theory that I don't need one. ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!