P1000 Dual Batteries

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm going to be installing my winch within the next week or so and I was wondering how many of you have dual batteries installed? I've been looking at posts and doing some research and most are saying to install another battery to help with the winch but is it really needed? The only other accessory I have is one of those sound tubes that I have plugged into the 12v outlet. I don't plan on running anything else. Do you think I will be alright or would another battery would be the best thing to add? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks Everyone!

Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to be installing my winch within the next week or so and I was wondering how many of you have dual batteries installed? I've been looking at posts and doing some research and most are saying to install another battery to help with the winch but is it really needed? The only other accessory I have is one of those sound tubes that I have plugged into the 12v outlet. I don't plan on running anything else. Do you think I will be alright or would another battery would be the best thing to add? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks Everyone!
I added a second factory battery under the hood I've got to warn 4500 winch but I've also got an amp stereo lots of Lights if the sound tubes will run on the 15 amp from the cigarette lighter you'd probably be alright till your battery gets a little older

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Little_g
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Highly recommend adding another battery.
Heavy winching will draw power from your main battery, Low voltage creates lots of problems in our machines, the $200 investment or so is worth not being stuck.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heavy winching will draw power from your main battery, Low voltage creates lots of problems in our machines, the $200 investment or so is worth not being stuck.
They say that transmission solenoids don't like the low voltage .

Reactions: Little_g
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They say that transmission solenoids don't like the low voltage .

That’s what I’ve been reading a lot of when I’ve been doing the research. I’m hoping I’ll be fine for a few rides anyway. It’s not like I’m getting stuck every time or looking to get stuck. Just those “oh s***” moments happen once and a while.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Probably gonna happen soon just can’t make it happen right away with other bills atm. The end of the month kills me. Person should be ok for a few times. Like I said I don’t go looking to be stuck and where we ride if I know other people are getting stuck I know I will be also. It’s just those moments where it does happen. I usually get my turn 2 out of about 10 rides or so. Lol.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a friend who’s has his winch on for a couple years now and that’s the only thing he has as far as accessories and he’s used his quite a bit and hasn’t had any issues (so far).

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s what I’ve been reading a lot of when I’ve been doing the research. I’m hoping I’ll be fine for a few rides anyway. It’s not like I’m getting stuck every time or looking to get stuck. Just those “oh s***” moments happen once and a while.
At least put a voltmeter in so after you winch out you can sit there and let your battery charge back up to 14.2 to 14.1

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
At least put a voltmeter in so after you winch out you can sit there and let your battery charge back up to 14.2 to 14.1

That was my next question/thought about letting it run for a while after. Coming from the 500 and reading all this info doesn't have me worried so to speak, I just don't wanna screw anything up lol.. Thanks for the help guys! I will definitely get a dual battery set up as soon as the funds allow.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That was my next question/thought about letting it run for a while after. Coming from the 500 and reading all this info doesn't have me worried so to speak, I just don't wanna screw anything up lol.. Thanks for the help guys! I will definitely get a dual battery set up as soon as the funds allow.
Mine runs 14.1 to 14.4 on main battery with nothing running don't know what every one else runs

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When I winch, I see my voltmeter on my aux battery dip down as low as 10 volts and the main battery stays at 14+ volts. If you do winch on a single battery, don't use the transmission. 10 volts won't run it properly.

Reactions: lee and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I spent like $175 I put another factory battery in it use the true isolator . 7b2a456dbd32a63438ed74a2978644b7

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With some minor trimming I installed 2 Lithium batteries in the original location. Charge with True Isolator. So far with 4 pulls of other (Polaris) no issues. I crawl slow, drag my belly, and get high centered. I just put in 4 Lock and get over them. But I have to turn around to get the rest over the rocks (by winch) Don't know why other 4X4s hang up. Anyway, I have full power for the main battery while the aux runs the winch. And yes, it recovers way faster than a lead acid battery. Usually in less than 10 minutes.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Haven't added a second battery yet and I use my winch to plow snow all winter and haven't had any issues in two years.

(do plan on adding a second battery soon though!)

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haven't added a second battery yet and I use my winch to plow snow all winter and haven't had any issues in two years.

(do plan on adding a second battery soon though!)
Your snow plow is not a constant high load.
Activate 2-3 seconds to drop plow, push snow, lift plow 2-3 seconds.
Go get your machine stuck in babysnot mud up to the skid plates. Now try to winch out, that is a load that will kill your tranny.
Snow work is just too light a load.

J

jac

Oct 31, 2015
Ownership

1. 500
Do all years have the same issues? I just got a 2018 and does it have the same alternator as previous years? I have a winch but I have no plans on a second battery at the moment. I rarely will use the winch

Reactions: PAoutdoor and BWAF
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do all years have the same issues? I just got a 2018 and does it have the same alternator as previous years? I have a winch but I have no plans on a second battery at the moment. I rarely will use the winch
I’m 99.9% sure that everyone is gonna recommend it as they did for me. I don’t plan on using mine a lot either but still gonna put one in just to be on the safe side. Simone did recommend that if you don’t use a second battery to leave it run and charge it back up after and not to drive it while winching out. Mine just came in today so I’m gonna install it this weekend.

Reactions: JTW and BWAF
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok so I got this installed tonight and when I start my machine the light comes on within a few seconds. Then when I shut it off it doesn’t shut off. If I flick my light switch on and off then it will. Do I have something wired up wrong or is that how it is?
This one - TrueAm UTV-SBI-CK UTV Dual Battery Kit

1C000AA2 6A30 4C2A 865F 75D5590C5252

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!