P500 Dual battery charging system problem

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I installed the Warn dual battery kit on my 500, 2 years ago. It worked fine for a while, but now it only charges the cranking battery and no matter how hot it is, never sends a charge to the #2 battery, even when the main battery is showing full charge it still send all power to it. I replaced the SOLENOID RELAY with no change. I've looked for warn part # 80110, the black plastic part between the wire and solenoid in the picture and can't find it listed anywhere, not on Warn's web site or any parts places. I get inconsistent reading from my volt meter when checking the one on my 500 and after running all the connections and replacing the solenoid it's about the only thing left to try, if I could find one. Anyone else have an idea or guess to what could be the problem?

61VlGul2BOhL SL1500

Reactions: Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I installed the Warn dual battery kit on my 500, 2 years ago. It worked fine for a while, but now it only charges the cranking battery and no matter how hot it is, never sends a charge to the #2 battery, even when the main battery is showing full charge it still send all power to it. I replaced the SOLENOID RELAY with no change. I've looked for warn part # 80110, the black plastic part between the wire and solenoid in the picture and can't find it listed anywhere, not on Warn's web site or any parts places. I get inconsistent reading from my volt meter when checking the one on my 500 and after running all the connections and replacing the solenoid it's about the only thing left to try, if I could find one. Anyone else have an idea or guess to what could be the problem?

View attachment 81011
Didn’t know where you can find one but then again I didn’t think the 500 could have two batteries. Where does it go. Learn something new every day.
Caper

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 81011

My guess is the second battery is dead. Pull it out and have it tested or try putting a charge on it. I have a second battery under the seat and just have them wired in parallel. An isolator really isn't needed on the P5. Good luck.

Reactions: Remington and Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
My guess is the second battery is dead. Pull it out and have it tested or try putting a charge on it. I have a second battery under the seat and just have them wired in parallel. An isolator really isn't needed on the P5. Good luck.
Did you put the battery in the plastic compartment under the drivers seat. And do you use a gell battery.
Caper

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I put a new #2 battery on it, if I charge it manually it works fine, just won't charge from the 500's system. It did work for about a year and a half. When I noticed the battery was too low to work the winch I put a new battery on it.
I mounted mine under the front hood.

Reactions: Caper and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I put a new #2 battery on it, if I charge it manually it works fine, just won't charge from the 500's system. It did work for about a year and a half. When I noticed the battery was too low to work the winch I put a new battery on it.
I mounted mine under the front hood.

Gotta be that isolator then. Voiced my opinion of them a few times but some guys swear by them. Sure would suck to be stalled out and trying to winch out of a hole and your second battery dies. That isolator wouldn't allow you to pull from the fully charged battery. @lee pointed out that the P1's have issues if the voltage drops too low, so maybe a manual one. It's not needed on the P5 though and it would have to be something pretty demanding to drain two batteries. Chuck that isolator and carry a little Noco. Just my 2...:)

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Gotta be that isolator then. Voiced my opinion of them a few times but some guys swear by them. Sure would suck to be stalled out and trying to winch out of a hole and your second battery dies. That isolator wouldn't allow you to pull from the fully charged battery. @lee pointed out that the P1's have issues if the voltage drops too low, so maybe a manual one. It's not needed on the P5 though and it would have to be something pretty demanding to drain two batteries. Chuck that isolator and carry a little Noco. Just my 2...:)
Interesting what size NOCO box would you recommend ??? I'm guessing a NOCO GB20 would be more than enough.

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I carry one of these, 600 amp Bestek. Has jumpstarted trucks too. The days of jumper cables are long gone.
View attachment 81093
I'll just use the viking jump box I got from HF for now, had it in the wife's car for that "just in case" moment, guess I'll just slip it in a freezer bag and store it in the front storage area.

I need to add an accessory battery to our P5 in the near future so I can add some lights and use the winch, I have such limited time to work on ours right now because it is at the other house.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
As for backup for the backup, I have a Noco Genius Model# GB40. It stays in my truck, but when I'm in the 500 away from home, like in Colorado or at deer camp, I have it in it. I also carry it in my boat. Last year my cranking battery went dead on my 200HP Evinrude while I was out on a lake, I jumped it with the GB40 and ran back to with trolling motor range of the launch ramp and stopped to fish some more. I started the 200HP motor 4 more times off the NOCO before it wouldn't crank it. Still had some power in it, but that 2000 year model Evinrude has to really spin to crank. I also like having the GB40 in my truck in case someone else needs a jump and I can help them out without hooking up to my truck. Pretty cheap insurance for about $100.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Noco GB40 here, also got their battery clamp to cig. Plug adapter to run compressor and and water sprayer directly off extended battery terminals inder hood. Don’t want to risk blowing factory fuse in that muddy PITA OEM fuse box on the trails.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!