P500 Dual battery for p500

R

rheaslip

Sep 18, 2020
Canada
Looking for help. I have a winch installed on my factory battery. I plan to install a light bar, 2 cube led lights for the back and a 24” bazooka speaker. Can all this work on the factory battery fine? Should I install a second battery?

My biggest reason for thinking I need a second battery is the speaker. I want to run this when the machine is off, but no idea how long it could run without draining the battery too much.

Thanks
Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Looking for help. I have a winch installed on my factory battery. I plan to install a light bar, 2 cube led lights for the back and a 24” bazooka speaker. Can all this work on the factory battery fine? Should I install a second battery?

My biggest reason for thinking I need a second battery is the speaker. I want to run this when the machine is off, but no idea how long it could run without draining the battery too much.

Thanks
Ryan

@trigger might have some good insight.

Reactions: trigger
D

Duckhunt

Welcome @rheaslip! It's pretty simple and easy math for a battery. Most Pioneer 500 replacement batteries are around 14AH, or amp hours. I believe stock is around 16AH. Basically that means you can run 14-16 amps for an hour, or 1 amp for 14-16 hours. (This isn't exact but will be good enough in this scenario). So if your speaker system is around 10A figure 80-90 minutes of run time without charging.

Further more I believe the P500 charges around 40-43A. So if you need 20A to run your machine (just a guess) you can use that other 20+A to charge your batteries. But keep in mind is this is at upper RPM. Idle or low rpm will be a much lower charge rate.

So in theory if you are going to run more than 40A of current through all sorts of sh*t while the machine is running, it doesn't matter how many batteries you have EVENTUALLY they will all drain dead. However if you isolate 1 for your accessories then if you run more then 40A while running or use the accessories while machine is off you then know your primary battery will have charge to start and operate the machine. Hope this helps...

R

rheaslip

Sep 18, 2020
Canada
Thanks [mention]Duckhunt [/mention] I think I will go with a 2nd battery for the accessories. I have a 15 year old boy.... and I can see him stranded listening to the tunes somewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: Duckhunt and Mudder
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger might have some good insight.

This is how I did it, no isolator.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Thanks
Ryan

Welcome to the forum, I have all that you mention on my P5 and did a second battery for lots of soundbar time when it’s not running. Definitely needed. Good luck...😊

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!