P500 Dual Battery Option - Accessory Switches

M

Murpheeslaw

Sep 19, 2020
Cumming, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I just recently purchased my 500 and I have a few mods that I want to do. I definitely want to add a winch and light bar across the top of it. Cube lights on the driver/passenger front and rear on the roll cage which would be on separate switches. I have purchased the 6 switch plate and I am going to install this weekend.

My question is do I need a second battery for the lights and smaller amp stuff and leave the main battery for the winch? Or can I run all of this stuff off one battery and install a fuse panel under the front hood? I have looked at the fuse panel kit with 6 switches from XTC power products and I am wondering if that would be a good route.

I am new here and new to the good vs bad ideas. I had a 2017 Honda Rubicon and accessories were not a big thing to do. Any ideas from you guys will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: Smitty335
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I just recently purchased my 500 and I have a few mods that I want to do. I definitely want to add a winch and light bar across the top of it. Cube lights on the driver/passenger front and rear on the roll cage which would be on separate switches. I have purchased the 6 switch plate and I am going to install this weekend.

My question is do I need a second battery for the lights and smaller amp stuff and leave the main battery for the winch? Or can I run all of this stuff off one battery and install a fuse panel under the front hood? I have looked at the fuse panel kit with 6 switches from XTC power products and I am wondering if that would be a good route.

I am new here and new to the good vs bad ideas. I had a 2017 Honda Rubicon and accessories were not a big thing to do. Any ideas from you guys will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Leds don't draw much power so a second battery shouldn't be needed.

Reactions: J80
M

Murpheeslaw

Sep 19, 2020
Cumming, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Leds don't draw much power so a second battery shouldn't be needed.

Thanks for the reply. And yes I would agree that LED's don't draw that much power. I guess should have been a little more specific in my post.

Can I run the dual battery set-up similar to the way they do it with the 1000's and 700's?

I have no clue what else I may want to add in the future (stereo, horn, flag lights and more LED's)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

M

Murpheeslaw

Sep 19, 2020
Cumming, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the reply. And yes I would agree that LED's don't draw that much power. I guess should have been a little more specific in my post.

Can I run the dual battery set-up similar to the way they do it with the 1000's and 700's?

I have no clue what else I may want to add in the future (stereo, horn, flag lights and more LED's)

Thanks

Reactions: Mudder
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks
You certainly can run a dual battery setup if you’d like to.

Reactions: Mudder
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Not that you need a second battery, but it’s a nice option. I used a Blue Sea mini add a battery kit that regulates and charges the batteries individually, isolates the starter battery for starting and operating the stock lights. All my auxiliary gear, including winch, LED lights are hooked to the secondary battery. It’s been an excellent set up. If I where to do it again I’d place the second battery under drivers seat, as it is now my Odessey 925C is under the hood in a steel ammo can. It’s worked great and will not change, just there is a ton of room under drivers seat and you could leave under hood for cigs, whisky an pole dancing gear or whatever you choose! 😉. Typically I ride very remotely, no cell service and alone so for me a second battery is good insurance, being there’s no kick starter...
cheers and congrats on the new rig.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks

You really don't need an isolator on the P5 unless you plan on running accessories with the ignition off for long periods of time. They aren't as power sensitive as the P1k's DCT. I have my second battery mounted under the seat and just wired in parallel with the stock battery.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!