jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
can you give me a little more info on the battery switch inside how it works with the key and without the key please

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The battery isolator is always on, unless you install a switch to turn it off and that would defeat the purpose of the isolator , its nothing more than a check valve, current one way not the other, run power from your secondary battery to a fuse panel and power up all your accessories

aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The battery isolator is always on, unless you install a switch to turn it off and that would defeat the purpose of the isolator , its nothing more than a check valve, current one way not the other, run power from your secondary battery to a fuse panel and power up all your accessories
Great analogy Smitty!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
i cant put my head around how to wire the battery switch in the cab for the lights in the acc. swiches to work with the key on and

Reactions: Neohio
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i cant put my head around how to wire the battery switch in the cab for the lights in the acc. swiches to work with the key on and

.....have the water cannons drench the flaming Popo.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please start with sharing your comfort level with wiring,
Then link to switches/relays/isolators you want to use and we can help you design a wiring diagram/harness to help achieve your goals.

Reactions: Dragon21
J

Johnny787

Jul 28, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will try to help.

First. This is the switch i got.
Ancor 554033 Marine Grade Electrical Sealed Rocker Switch (Double Pole/Double Throw, Constant On / Con... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NI5ENM?tag=sxsweb24-20

It is a 3 way switch with on, off, on. My goal was to set it up like dragon did. On one way turned all my accessories on and off with the key while on the other way turned them on and kept them on no matter the key position.

Basically what this switch does is control power to the solenoid that is between the battery and the fuse panal. When the solenoid has power it allows power through to the fuse panal. When it does not have power it stops the power at the solenoid and does not allow it through to the panal.

You will also need one of these jumpers. It will make your life easier. I will explain later on.

MICTUNING 5 Pin Rocker Switch Wire Set With Male/ Female Terminal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SAH1J8M/?tag=sxsweb24-20

So let's start with the switch and wires. You will need 3 wires that come to your switch. One will come directly from your second battery. I would suggest putting a inline fuse in this wire. I used 15a. Second wire will come from a keyed hot wire. I took this off the black and white wire under the accessory fuse. It was the 5th fuse from the top on my 18 LE. There is a very good thread on how to find it on here. The last wire you will need going to the switch is the wire that will go to the solenoid.

So now we have 3 wires run to our switch.
A. From second battery
B. Keyed power
C. Out to solenoid.

The back of our switch has 6 male pins. I will number them for the sake of this discussion. I don't think they are labeled on the switch but this would be the view if you flipped the switch over. The top and bottom of a switch like this don't really matter.

1 2
3 4
5 6

So now we simply hook up our wires.
First take your jumper and hook up the two female ends to number 1 and 6. Then take the end that comes off the jumper and hook it up to wire C which goes out to the solenoid. Take wire A and hook that to 3 and hook B to 4.

It took me a little bit to figure this out so hopefully it helps some people here. My father is an electrician and it took a few FaceTime calls to him also, but mine now works exactly how I want it.

Didn't mean to jump in your thread Dragon, please let me know if you did it differently.

Edit: I did not ground my switch since I do not have any lights in mine. If you have lights you will need one additional ground wire to complete the circuit so the lights will illuminate.

Last edited:
J

Johnsee

Jul 3, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
All of this so you can run a winch. Sorry i aint buying that...

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
All of this so you can run a winch. Sorry i aint buying that...
if the only accessory you plan to add is a winch, you would be fine without a second battery. however if you plan to add lights and radio and other stuff as well, the second battery is a feature to help ensure you dont kill the main battery and dont affect your electronics by drawing a lot of power

H

Hardwaterflyer

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2015
West Central Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Upgraded to a 2018 1000-5 Camo Deluxe and like your dual battery video, will be copying your install for the most part. I need more room under the hood and Your radiator hose mod would free up some space. Do you have a truck part number for that? Thanks.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Hardwaterflyer
Try a gates 20968 either Amazon or Rockauto.
Rockauto had a closeout for $11.50 when I ordered mine.

J

justindiiorio

Nov 5, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you post a link to that battery?

A

Apparition

Dec 10, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmmmm looking at this set up, why wouldnt you just parallel an exact match for the original? Charge them both to full capacity and parallel them, end of story.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New at this trying to figure out best way to do this for my 700 (2014)
What is the difference between the True isolator and the Blue seas add a battery kit (is it just the switch)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RZNP5K/?tag=sxsweb24-20

ISO is automatic and isolated the aux battery from primary system to save the primary battery so you can always start the machine. (With a single very short jumper you can jump from the second battery in the instance the primary fails)

The switch is to combine the batteries because you’ve drained your primary battery.

With the ISO you connect all your accessories and high draws to the second battery and only use the primary battery for what it was connected to from the factory.

The switch is better suited to boats where you want to have 2-3-4-5 batteries for a trolling motor or a lot of bow fishing lights and be able to charge them even when its drawing a lot from the system.

Also several people have had the switch fill with dirt and fail because of the exposed copper contacts. The iso just has to be installed correctly with a bit of silicone, there are no exposed moving parts. I have washed mine down several times with a pressure washer and it’s been exposed to 70mph+ driving rain for hours when I left my hood loose.

At first I thought it didn’t make sense the way it functions but it requires no interaction and has saved my starting battery when I did not plug the battery tender in and I left my auxiliary switch panel powered for several days while I was out of town.

I fired it up rode for 30mins and by then the secondary battery had a good enough charge to be put on the tender and resuscitated.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't got it installed yet, but I'm going with the blue sea mini add a battery and I know a few of the first 700 owners that added a second battery used them. The ACR works just like the true isolator, but I like the advantage in the battery switch encase I need it. I know my 700 has trouble starting in really cold weather and I think the combination of the 2 batteries should help. I let you know in a couple of weeks. They used to be about the same price as the true isolator but like everything else they have gone up in price.

E

ezhoops

Nov 18, 2014
ok, I understand both ideas now (I think)
let me tell what I need and please advise. I typically use my pioneer (2014) for long rides out on the ice, fishing on lake erie, lake simcoe and lake st. clair. I can be miles off shore and I need something that will start every time. If I get stuck out on the ice it could be very dangerous.

I am in the planning stages of my switch panel, so I want to do it right. I ordered the 6 switch with radio panel from mystic and it should be here today or tomorrow. Wiring is not my forte so it should be interesting.

I am hoping that with all your help I can get this completed the way I want.
Thanks again

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!