P1000 Dual Batterys and a horse with no legs

RockRain

RockRain

Sep 2, 2018
UT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20180307 070623

This is another image that I drew that shows how the various powers and grounds get linked to each switch. Hope this helps you

Reactions: TripleB
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a couple more drawings for ya'll to look at. Just think when you guys get done with me we will have a setup that anybody can build. Lol.

First picture is just a blank, I know how some of you can edit/draw on attachments, I included this for that. Remember, I'll take any and all help I can get.

Wiring1

The second one is the way I have or am going to wire my ride. If you see anything that might be wrong please please let me know. I didn't include any wiring on the top of the page( the switches) as I'm still out on that, I just don't get it........Again, any help will be appreciated.

Wiring2

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Using the stinger.
see post #27 for update.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Let's tall about the #8 the winch relay. Something is not right.

The main lines should be direct to the #2 battery.
Looks like you have it off the stinger. Thats incorrect. Your winch can pull upwards of 300 amps.
Some winches have a high amp resetable fuse. I removed mine.

Then you should have..
The 12v+ trigger wire, I recomend a key-on source. You should always run your motor anyways.

And you have the 2 reverseable control lines. This may be built into a handheld remote.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I would also move the lower volt meter pin to after the stinger. That way both are on a switched source.

Item #9 [key on 15a] should go to the on/off/on switch and not to the stinger.
Leave the volt#1 hooked up to it.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update. Made a change for stinger usage to fuse protect the panel. View attachment 156782

WOW. You rock. Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you. This is just what I have been looking for. We are going to be spending the week up in Milledgeville, GA for the Thunder Ralley so I won't get any work done on the pioneer but I'll hit it hard when we get back.

Again, I appreciate all the help and replies.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let's tall about the #8 the winch relay. Something is not right.

The main lines should be direct to the #2 battery.
Looks like you have it off the stinger. Thats incorrect. Your winch can pull upwards of 300 amps.

I kind of understand this but what if something happens to the winch relay and it's connected directly to the battery? I have no protection.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I kind of understand this but what if something happens to the winch relay and it's connected directly to the battery? I have no protection.
Do you mean short circut or roge operation?

Short circut - the required operation amps is in the 300 range. You can install a 300+ fuse link but need to research max amps. Possibility of your winch overdrawing and shutting off when you need it the most is very likley. Thus why many dont install them.

Roge operation - this is more a concern coming from the control wires than the main lines. Thus why I recomend that being key on only. Its unlikely the contactor will "stick" without those lines being energized.

Keep in mind the starter in every vehecial you own is set up just like this. Direct to the battery with a contactor in between. The "starter" fuse you may find is for the control lines and not the actual starter.

Hooking up like you have it in your design will blow both the stinger and the 100a fuse.

Here is the common layout.
A10763fd656d679b55f38ca3319597fc

Last edited:
Reactions: nitzo
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you mean short circut or roge operation?

Short circut - the required operation amps is in the 300 range. You can install a 300+ fuse link but need to research max amps. Possibility of your winch overdrawing and shutting off when you need it the most is very likley. Thus why many dont install them.

Roge operation - this is more a concern coming from the control wires than the main lines. Thus why I recomend that being key on only. Its unlikely the contactor will "stick" without those lines being energized.

Keep in mind the starter in every vehecial you own is set up just like this. Direct to the battery with a contactor in between. The "starter" fuse you may find is for the control lines and not the actual starter.

Hooking up like you have it in your design will blow both the stinger and the 100a fuse.

Awesome. Thanks again. I'm going to make the corrections to my diagram and I'll post it again. Maybe ya'll can give it one final run thru before the build. I know this is all going help numerous folks, one is my brother, he is doing the same thing to his 18' 1000.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Update again.
I made a on/off/on switch for a client tonight and I realized I had the pins reversed for the lights to work correctly.

The following gives the top or bottom light on for whichever way the switch is flipped.
So key-on. The bottom would be on.
Battery the top would be on.
Middle OFF no lights. Fc0e87868221cd60c54760e5c2537d11

Last edited:
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update again.
I made a on/off/on switch for a client tonight and I realized I had the pins reversed for the lights to work correctly.

The following gives the top or bottom light on for whichever way the switch is flipped.
So key-on. The bottom would be on.
Battery the top would be on.
Middle OFF no lights. View attachment 156996

When you say "5a fused after the stinger", you mean any circuit after the stinger. And "to stinger" is the small wire that powers it? Also, the 7 pin on-off-on switch I have has a permanent jumper b/t the 2 and 5, that needs to be removed, correct?

Wiring3

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I think it's getting close.
Few changes.
I can photoshop them 4 u later after lunch.
Most has to do with the winch layout.
Do u plan to have a winch dash switch?

Also by "5a fused after stinger" I mean.
The stinger sends power to the fuse block from the block add a 5a fuse called "pannel" that protects it. I feel this is important because if a wire comes unhooked that's where it is most likley to occur seeing there will be umpteen connections.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think it's getting close.
Few changes.
I can photoshop them 4 u later after lunch.
Most has to do with the winch layout.
Do u plan to have a winch dash switch?

Yes I do, I have another dpdt 7 pin that came pre-wired with the KFI Stealth 4500 winch.

by "5a fused after stinger" I mean.
The stinger sends power to the fuse block from the block add a 5a fuse called "pannel" that protects it. I feel this is important because if a wire comes unhooked that's where it is most likley to occur seeing there will be umpteen connections.

Right, so after I take a big wire(using #4 cu) from the stinger to power the blue sea fuse block, I'll take one of the circuits (fused at 5 amps) from the fuse block to the main dpdt 7 pin on my dash panel.

I looks like the #5 pin on this switch(7 pin dpdt) powers the stinger to close, then we get power back to the switch via the stinger to fuse block (5a fuse) to #2 pin on the dash 7 pin switch. WHEW!!!!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Changes to winch layout.
Still needs a good review.
Also, I assume the relays all have their own fuse? and NOT a single line?
Is the same with the relay grounds?
You can combine the grounds as long as the wire size gets increased too, But most run lines back to the ground buss.

Wiring3

Reactions: ohanacreek
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still needs a good review.
Not sure what you mean by this.

I assume the relays all have their own fuse? and NOT a single line?
Yes, I drew that wrong, each relay will have its own circuit coming off the fused blue sea fuse panel running to the "30" pin on the relay.

Is the same with the relay grounds.
You can combine the grounds as long as the wire size gets increased too, But most run lines back to the ground buss.
I was going to run just one run of 14 cu from the "86" pin to the grd buss bar, but I can double it up or even run each its own.

As I have said, your help is great. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Still needs good review - Meaning we just need to look over the layout few more times.

Yes, consider running each ground back to the buss bar.
You can combine, but ensure the wire size is adequate for the combined load.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The more I read this and look at the diagrams, the more my head hurts.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still needs good review - Meaning we just need to look over the layout few more times.

Yes, consider running each ground back to the buss bar.
You can combine, but ensure the wire size is adequate for the combined load.
It LOOKS right, 10&11 are missing numbers don’t line up on toggles but I get the intent. “To Toggles” should be “from toggles” and Red since it should be a positive feed from the toggles to activate the relays based on the relay wiring you have shown. I did not double check the pin layouts of the switches as they can vary slightly manufacturer to manufacture especially with the Amazon Special. But it looks like a standard carling layout.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It LOOKS right, “To Toggles” should be “from toggles” and Red since it should be a positive feed from the toggles to activate the relays based on the relay wiring you have shown. I did not double check the pin layouts of the switches as they can vary slightly manufacturer to manufacture especially with the Amazon Special. But it looks like a standard carling layout.

Yes, you are right, I should also have the "87" to load pin in red.

Reactions: ohanacreek
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Ok ya'll, I'm back from vacation and ready to dig into this. If you guys would, please take a final look and I'll go ahead and start.

Again, thanks so much for your help. I'll keep you posted as I go along.

I almost forgot:
Also, the 7 pin on-off-on switch I have has a permanent jumper b/t the 2 and 5, that needs to be removed, correct?

Wiring4JPG

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!