Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well,
I use the dump bed a lot and it irritates me that it won't dump medium loads with me pushing all I can. Heavy loads you can forget it.

I have two tractors with loaders, and use them a lot. One is a 52HP and the other is 23HP. However, the P1000 can maneuver in tight places and it's easy on the delicate ground. So, like the OP said, I usually break out the shovel :(

Sent from my iPad 7G

You and the others experiencing this problem are definitely making me feel better it's not just my particular unit but this is definitely a larger design issue. That's a real bummer. In all my research I never came across any complaints about the dump
bed not being able to dump! Not sure I think I even looked for something like that. I just naturally assumed silly me..

Can't say it would have stopped me, don't know. Was sold on it from the inception :)

I guess I am very lucky as every single place that I need the rock is on a 45° plus incline road that's leading to my more level main roads. My access point if you will. There are 3 of them.

So by the time I drive straight up and stop (begging for an emergency / parking brake as listening to that horrible clunk when on an incline, 1000 pds of weight in bed and shifting from park to drive is HORRENDOUS) the load just "slides out the back" when I open the tailgate. LOL. Makes life easier I have say :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dotman1
Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't have the 1000 yet but I feel that if it is a utility sxs and has a bed that dumps it should dump the load it is capable of handling. And Honda should come out with and accessory that dumps the bed at the push of a button. Some buy these for play and some buy them for work and some buy them for both. If Honda would come out with an electric or hydrolic dump bed people would buy it because I see people looking for aftermarket features as such now. I will be buying a 1000-5 deluxe but I'm in certain when. I may wait til the 2017 models come out or I may get one next week.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't have the 1000 yet but I feel that if it is a utility sxs and has a bed that dumps it should dump the load it is capable of handling. And Honda should come out with and accessory that dumps the bed at the push of a button. Some buy these for play and some buy them for work and some buy them for both. If Honda would come out with an electric or hydrolic dump bed people would buy it because I see people looking for aftermarket features as such now. I will be buying a 1000-5 deluxe but I'm in certain when. I may wait til the 2017 models come out or I may get one next week.

Well said. With less words than I used :) And agreed. Up into this point, my complaints have been small and trivial. But this to me is a major issue. I personally never even dreamed for a second that the dump bed would be incapable of dumping loads.

What good is it if it won't dump a heavy load? What good is it if it won't dump a medium load? If the only load it will dump is a light load, than you don't need to dump it to begin with!

There are legal issues here as well. Every product sold comes with an implied warranty. To say, the product can be used for the intended purpose it was sold. If it's being sold with a dump bed that's not capable of dumping then what the heck good is it?

The way this is normally achieved is by centering the back portion of the dump trailer over the axle so that when the bed is loaded evenly the trailer will always dump because its center of gravity is off. This is definitely not the case with the Honda.

I think that obviously there are many more people out there that are upset with this issue and I think maybe we should all get together and approach Honda and let them know that we are looking for a solution to this problem, which may be a retrofit hydraulic assist and or a dump motor.

I know I'm just not going to let this go as is. I'm going to contact Honda and see what they can do. I'm not holding my breath... :)

Reactions: jondevil
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think the easiest solution is to attach a little hand winch to the top of the rollbar and connect to underneath the bed. Or electric. I'll let you know how my project goes. It's a must for me :)

Actually, I have a six-foot high lift jack will probably work perfect

Russel

Russel

Apr 26, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not to sound mean, but that just a dumb thing to say. How exactly would one go about checking out the dump capabilities of the bed? Ask the dealer if it's OK to load 1000 pounds of rock on it and try dumping it first?

I didn't buy this thing to joyride and that's what it sounds like you bought yours for. I'm glad it fits a purpose for you.

Me? I bought this thing to work it. And if you actually use it to work and not play, you would understand things like getting out of it 20 times in 10 minutes.

I hate to remind you, but work is what this thing was specifically made for (if you want to play, there's many sports models available) but when you put a dump utility bed on it, that pretty much sums up what it is designed to do.

And there is no sense in me trying out the dump trailer because every other dump trailer that I have ever used, including cheap ones for a lawnmower have never had a problem dumping when you release the handle.

In short, that's an absolute total given!
Did you just take the doors off? I have thought about doing that. Also, do you think your P1k might have a malfunction with the dump bed? I loaded my P7 full of drift wood logs and it dumped just fine. It was not a 1000 pounds worth of wood. Did you contact the dealer or Honda and ask them what is up? It could be an easy fix?

Russel

Russel

Apr 26, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think the easiest solution is to attach a little hand winch to the top of the rollbar and connect to underneath the bed. Or electric. I'll let you know how my project goes. It's a must for me :)

Actually, I have a six-foot high lift jack will probably work perfect
That sounds like a good idea. Maybe have the winch be able to rotate so you can haul things up into the bed as well, if needed. Then be able to rotate it down so it can assist with the dump?

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You're correct, I bought mine specifically for hunting and fishing. But also to competently handle trails to get where I need to go at a reasonable pace. I did not buy it for complete utility. There are many many other options out there for straight up utility machines. But with those you sacrifice performance in other areas. Right tool for the right job. The P1K is not the best utility machine available.
Yea dido that. The fact that is has a dump bed was the last thing I bought it for. Bought mine for fun trails and transportation on camping trips. Also more important was the fact it had two rear seats for my grandsons to ride with me. And of course it had to be able to get my deer or elk back to camp and get us to the lake to fish. Lovin it so far :)

100 0963

Last edited:
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think Honda designed the "dump" bed maybe only to access air filter, oil dipstick and oil fill. And what a pita to work humped over removing the cover for the oil fill, filling with oil, re-installing cover...............

Seeing as I already have a winch on the front, there may be a way just to wrap the winch over the roof and come down and hook up. I wouldn't want to mess up my top is the only problem.

This is what I'm thinking. Take a little piece of cable and put a loop at the top. Leave it permanently attached so it's sticking up a few inches. Then just take my winch cable and wrap it over the roof and hook it up to the loop. It won't take much pressure at all I'm sure to get it going.

Maybe take a 2 x 4 and just cut achannel in it and lay on top of the roof to protect. In either case, it's a heck of a lot more work than somebody should have to go through!

Russell I did completely remove the doors with the fabric windows as one complete unit. Four bolts each side. I love it to death and it's so easy getting in and out. But I will say it's a little more dangerous. Having the half doors really does protect you.

Something else that gripes me is the location of the handles for the half doors. I mean they should be more towards the front of the vehicle. Having to twist your body around to get the latch again, all of these things are very small and trivial. But it is what makes the experience all the more better and I think Honda could've put a little more thought into user comfort.

Looks like most of the thought process went to the transmission and engine and that's all great. But they definitely weren't thinking when it came time to user conveniences or practicality.

Personally, I think they had more of a sports model in mind forced into a utility concept. Fact the bed doesn't dump pretty much reaffirms that from the get-go. It's all for looks and show when it comes to that.

To be honest Russell, I haven't really gotten on my knees and really checked out if there is anything wrong but I really don't believe so. I know enough to know it's completely unlatched. I don't think there's a problem with it I just think it was a bad design!!

It already has a hydraulic lift to assist so that goes to show you how bad the design is as even with it it won't budge.

It's possible to order a commercial heavy duty hydraulic arm that would help a lot, problem would be when it comes time to close it!

Reactions: Russel
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Have a 15 ton pile of base in driveway, which is a mixture of rock and sand for roads.

The timing on this post is incredible. I just purchased four loads (16 tons each, 64 tons total) of road base to build up the drive in a residential area where I park my trailers. I used my Pioneer to move the first 1,000 pounds or so and since I don't have a liner it got everywhere in my rear seats despite that I had put down a bed mat. I agree that it was nearly impossible to unload and ended up shoveling it out just like you. I pulled out my Rhino to move the remaining 127,000 pounds of road base, 500 pounds at a time. Despite being over-loaded, I was still able to dump the bed without straining and without any special placement. I do agree in that I don't think the Pioneer bed was designed to do much dumping.

Ttt

...I do love road base, though. Made all the difference in the world. I've pretty much concluded that the Pioneer is reserved for trail riding and I'll continue to use the Rhino for ranch/farm/yard work.

advertisement
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 16024

The timing on this post is incredible. I just purchased four loads (16 tons each, 64 tons total) of road base to build up the drive in a residential area where I park my trailers. I used my Pioneer to move the first 1,000 pounds or so and since I don't have a liner it got everywhere in my rear seats despite that I had put down a bed mat. I agree that it was nearly impossible to unload and ended up shoveling it out just like you. I pulled out my Rhino to move the remaining 127,000 pounds of road base, 500 pounds at a time. Despite being over-loaded, I was still able to dump the bed without straining and without any special placement. I do agree in that I don't think the Pioneer bed was designed to do much dumping.

View attachment 16025

...I do love road base, though. Made all the difference in the world. I've pretty much concluded that the Pioneer is reserved for trail riding and I'll continue to use the Rhino for ranch/farm/yard work.

See, that just irritates the hell out of me. I have an $8000 Massimo from tractor supply company that no matter how you load it, it dumps it effortlessly.

Now here you are with a different brand saying same thing. This is frustrating me more and more! This is supposed to be the newest of everything and if Honda is so stupid that they can't design a dump trailer to dump I seriously question their Japanese engineers.

This needs to be addressed by Honda and it needs to be addressed now. These are not cheap vehicles they are VERY expensive, in fact, the most expensive machines out there.

The more I think about it the more it just drives me insane. The fact that I have a $23,000, accessorized vehicle with a dump bed that won't dump just makes me want to start a class action lawsuit!

HELLO HONDA? If anybody at corporate level is reading this, this needs to be addressed and needs to be addressed now.

Last edited by a moderator:
TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
See, that just irritates the hell out of me. I have an $8000 Massimo from tractor supply company that no matter how you load it, it dumps it effortlessly.

Now here you are with a different brand saying same thing. This is frustrating me more and more! This is supposed to be the newest of everything and if Honda is so stupid that they can't design a dump trailer to dump I seriously question their Japanese engineers.

This needs to be addressed by Honda and it needs to be addressed now. These are not cheap vehicles they are VERY expensive, in fact, the most expensive machines out there.

The more I think about it the more it just drives me insane. The fact that I have a $23,000, accessorized vehicle with a dump bed that won't dump just makes me want to start a class action lawsuit!

HELLO HONDA? If anybody at corporate level is reading this, this needs to be addressed and needs to be addressed now.
I would have to agree that for the price, if the machines bed is rated for 1000 lbs than you should be able to dump 1000 lbs also. I think Honda got over zealous, They should have put a max dump rating on the bed also. Competition is stiff and all of these manufacturers do this kind of thing in one way or another to lure customers in.

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
The bed hinges have to be mounted far to the rear to accommodate the back seats being tucked in there. Though you have the 1000-3 they share the same hinge placement. It is a very good design in the aspect that if you have passengers in the back and the safety latch fails it will not dump them out. If they (honda) or you move they hinges forward and you load 1000 lbs of rock in it then pull the release, you had better put a saftey chain or something to essentially catch the bed or it will likely fly out with the rock

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have no clue how the bed dumps without the jumper seats. Is the bed deeper because there is no jumper seats? Or I'd the space where the seats were just an empty cavity unerneath?

I'm gonna load all my camping stuff up today and I'll dump it and see how hard it is. I'm guessing I'm usually roght about 200-300.

A cooler full of ice,water, and beer has to weigh around 60 -80 pounds. I also have a 5 gal water jug. Gotta be 40 pounds
Have you tried ordering a stronger strut for underneath? That may be easier that fabbing up some winch system.

An electric scissor jack would be pretty damn easy to fab up though. Just need a 12v motor and weld it to the jack.

Also, if you moved the point of the strut that attached to the bed forward or backwards an inch so it's more verticle, maybe that would help?

Only time I use my dump bed is to get at the engine and stuff and I usually leave all my gear in the bed anyways. My cooler and water jug alone have to weigh 100 pounds full.

This hunting season, hopefully I'll have pics of me trying to dump a moose!:D

Reactions: AKRider
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yet again, something I just noticed that shouldn't be. The bed mat should have cut outs for the anchors. It does not. So every time I anchor something, I have to pull out the bed mat?

No, I'm going to have to cut holes in the bedmat myself. This is exactly what I'm talking about, little things like that, that show things just arent thought out.

I buy a universal bed mat OK I get it. But I'm paying extra money to get the "genuine Honda accessories" for this vehicle and that's exactly, precisely why you pay more money, because everything it should be a custom fit. Not having holes is not a custom fit.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Let's chill a bit and we can respectfully talk about it again after the beers have worn off...

We will reopen this topic in a few days.
I will clean it up so a new reader can follow along without the bs or getting off track.

The topic is about the dump bed functionally.

NOTE: Several post removed to clean up the topic for easy and on track reading.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok. Let's keep this topic on track this go around and limit the "KeyBoard Muscles".
We are discussing the dump bed and improvements that might can be made.
Thanks.

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Let's pull the shock off and replace it with a 100 pound one. If the bed is as off center as people say, the 100 pounds should still be easy to push down, while helping lift as well. It may not help the guys dump their 400 lb loads, but it should help up to 200 pounds?

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok. Let's keep this topic on track this go around and limit the "KeyBoard Muscles".
We are discussing the dump bed and improvements that might can be made.
Thanks.
Well just my 2 cents worth...a DUMP bed should dump. I am just starting my firewood season and I am really not happy if my DUMP bed will not dump. Like others said.....we have a massimo and it dumps when you pull the release. It is hard to get it to lock back sometimes. Lol. The main reason I bought the Honda over a wolverine was a dump bed.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That sounds like a good idea. Maybe have the winch be able to rotate so you can haul things up into the bed as well, if needed. Then be able to rotate it down so it can assist with the dump?

That is a good idea Russell, if I have a heavy load using winch was to drag it up the back! Like a large piece of timber :)

I'm rethinking and have come up with this. Just take a piece of aluminum channel or steel channel like they sell at Lowe's. Drill two holes and permanently mount on the roof into the roll-bars.

Done deal. Pull out and lay cable in channel! In the old days, big trucks used to have a channel underneath the vehicle and they used the front winch to pull them in reverse.

Already purchased a 3000 pound winch and mount plate that goes into the receiver hitch because as I think of it, I would assume that most of my stuck situations would require me to pull myself out and not forward.

Specially like if I run off the road pointing straight down the mountain, the only solution is backwards. If not that I had bought one, i would have run the channel underneath the vehicle because the skid plates make it all nice and flat and smooth and perfect for such a situation.

And is really the only way to use your winch to pull yourself backwards is by going under unless you set up one of these complicated, multi pulleys method.

Worse case, would need another small piece of channel somewhere on the front bumper if, I'm not sure yet, the cable hits the front of the vehicle or hood.

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!