Not open for further replies.
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe just talk with Honda? Ask them if the dump bed is actually made to dump 1000lbs or if the 1000lbs is the limit for what the machine can hold safely. I know I had a 200-300 pounds or more of drift wood and it dumped just fine. I have the 700-4. I just thought it was a sweet idea to have this feature, which I didn't realize it had it till after I bought it. The dealer didn't tell me and when I picked it up, I asked him what this lever was when I was inspecting the vehicle. My boys like this is option the most and want to use it as a slide when I raise it and spray it out...Maybe just figure out how much weight the dump bed will actually dump and then discuss with Honda. They may say you are actually dumping more weight then is actually made for. If you can prove that it is 1000lbs of cargo and nothing happens then you might have a case.

Russell you definately made a valid and good point. I haven't actually weighed my load.. Base is VERY heavy. Maybe even a 1/2 load exceeds 1000 pounds? Who is to say.

But...I made the assumption based on 2 things.

One was others posting they couldn't dump loads of much less weight, including wood and things like that. Second was you can barely tilt the thing empty. Just go out there with nothing in it and it's a tad of a struggle to open and needs hand assist with no load. That's a sign of trouble right there.

All and I mean all other dump trailers when released with an empty load, shoot straight up in the air empty! (when it has a hydraulic arm)

Plus I tried with a 1/4 load and no luck. I am going to assume I'm within limits when even a 1/4 load won't dump.

If it did dump with a 1/4 or 1/2 load I would be happy as a jay bird.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I too almost fell into the Polaris trap. I naturally assumed as thousands have that it was the best vehicle available. You have just heard so much about them.

However I was very shocked to find out that they are really a piece of junk and they have more issues and repairs than any other vehicle out there. The market is saturated with used ones.

I just couldn't believe it but its very true. They are not worthy machines.

Conversely, I have heard the Kawasaki Mule is probably the most dependable unit out there. The reason I didn't go for it was they had a totally different design and this is no longer the old Mule. I didn't want to be a guinea pig.

I think there's a misunderstanding I only want to use this for work. I do not. I actually want to use it for the way Honda intended.

A work vehicle that's very sporty and powerful and can be used for both.

This is a crossover. The best of both worlds. Unfortunately, very few are using the dump aspect of it and could really care less about this issue and that's what makes this all the more frustrating.

If this issue was over the paddle shifters not working, everybody would be banging on the Hondas door wanting a solution!

Really sad that because it happens to be a feature that very few people use, that they could care less if it functions or not :(

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Personally, I thinks it's grossly shameful that because it's a feature seldom used, if ever used by most owners, that's it's downplayed as not being that big of a deal.

No doubt Honda is most aware of this complacent attitude concerning this issue and its the main compelling reason they won't address it.

Why should they? Not only do enough not complain about it, worse, they say "it's ok it doesn't work, it's not a feature I use"

That's just really not the way owners should look at it, yet, they do.

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
There are more than enough class action attorneys out there that will pick up and run with this issue at no cost to me if Honda refuses to address the issue. They live and breath for such things :)
You'd be surprised at how difficult this can be unless there is absolute gross negligence with injury or death. I'm currently the plaintiff in a federal lawsuit against the State of Montana (I love Montana, just trying to change the law) and I'm being represented by a Pro Bono attorney. Despite solid Constitutional basis for my complaint (including a supporting statement from SCOTUS Justice Roberts), it took over a year to find a Pro Bono attorney willing to take on the State on my behalf. Initially I had to hire an attorney to do all the leg work and research and it was only after spending tens of thousands of dollars and getting nationally televised attention that a Pro Bono attorney stepped up to take over our case. Typically attorneys only take Pro Bono cases when a large pay-out is essentially guaranteed (which actually worked against me since I'm not seeking money).

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You'd be surprised at how difficult this can be unless there is absolute gross negligence with injury or death. I'm currently the plaintiff in a federal lawsuit against the State of Montana (I love Montana, just trying to change the law) and I'm being represented by a Pro Bono attorney. Despite solid Constitutional basis for my complaint (including a supporting statement from SCOTUS Justice Roberts), it took over a year to find a Pro Bono attorney willing to take on the State on my behalf. Initially I had to hire an attorney to do all the leg work and research and it was only after spending tens of thousands of dollars and getting nationally televised attention that a Pro Bono attorney stepped up to take over our case. Typically attorneys only take Pro Bono cases when a large pay-out is essentially guaranteed (which actually worked against me since I'm not seeking money).

Used to live in Billings for a couple years. Wasn't what I thought it would be. So back to the south :)

How you pulled that off I would like to hear about one day. You must have great powers of persuasion! PM me would like to hear what's going on since I am a fan of Montana.

This is a different kind of animal. Pro bono for an INDIVIDUAL is VERY difficult. Extremely actually.

Class action isn't really Pro Bono as perse. And it's definitely not about representing an individual, but normally dozens to hundreds of people. All class actions are lawyers taking the case on a percentage basis. And with the Honda name, well, there is much incentive.

But all this talk about lawsuits has gotten a little out of hand. I just said legally they could be sued, one thing lead to another, some posted on what basis, I replied, next thing u know it's I AM SUING HONDA! LOL. Such is forum life :)

But...they are opening the door for a class action. Anytime a large company does something that's blatant and easily provable, well....

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I completely agree on the un-usefulness of the dump bed. Although I love the machine and I primarily bought it for play and hunting, I do want it for occasional use around the house. The first time came this past weekend. I had a pile of topsoil I needed to move. I put my bedliner in (which I'm not totally thrilled with, but that's another issue) and filled it 3/4 of the way up the sides. Not completely level, but mounded a little in the middle. I drove it to where I needed it, hopped out, lowered the tailgate, and pulled the dump lever. Nothing. I tried lifting it myself. Still wouldn't budge. I had my 24yo stepson lift on the other side at the same time. It wouldn't budge. I thought maybe it was catching on something. We unloaded it by hand and I checked to see if it would dump. It popped right up. I looked around to make sure there was nothing that could have obstructed it. Everything looked good.

Filled it again, but not as much as the first load. It still wouldn't dump on it's own, but I could get it to dump by having my wife on the dump lever, with me on one side and my stepson on the other - both of us using two hands - to lift it. It wasn't easy. I'm no spring chicken, but when a 24yo that's strong as an ox was also struggling to lift it, that tells me the design is flawed.

I wanted to finish the project so I never did test it to see exactly how much, or little, topsoil I could load so it would dump. We just continued loading it and assisting it to dump.

I honestly don't see Honda fixing this issue on the 2016 models. Maybe they will for 2017 or later. Maybe they'll come out with an after-market kit and charge us an arm-and-a-leg for it. Hopefully a third party markets something for those that really need it. For me it isn't that big of deal. I will rarely use it like this, but it would be nice to not need two other people to dump it when I want, or need, to work solo. I guess smaller loads would be my option.

Reactions: joeymt33
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I completely agree on the un-usefulness of the dump bed. Although I love the machine and I primarily bought it for play and hunting, I do want it for occasional use around the house. The first time came this past weekend. I had a pile of topsoil I needed to move. I put my bedliner in (which I'm not totally thrilled with, but that's another issue) and filled it 3/4 of the way up the sides. Not completely level, but mounded a little in the middle. I drove it to where I needed it, hopped out, lowered the tailgate, and pulled the dump lever. Nothing. I tried lifting it myself. Still wouldn't budge. I had my 24yo stepson lift on the other side at the same time. It wouldn't budge. I thought maybe it was catching on something. We unloaded it by hand and I checked to see if it would dump. It popped right up. I looked around to make sure there was nothing that could have obstructed it. Everything looked good.

Filled it again, but not as much as the first load. It still wouldn't dump on it's own, but I could get it to dump by having my wife on the dump lever, with me on one side and my stepson on the other - both of us using two hands - to lift it. It wasn't easy. I'm no spring chicken, but when a 24yo that's strong as an ox was also struggling to lift it, that tells me the design is flawed.

I wanted to finish the project so I never did test it to see exactly how much, or little, topsoil I could load so it would dump. We just continued loading it and assisting it to dump.

I honestly don't see Honda fixing this issue on the 2016 models. Maybe they will for 2017 or later. Maybe they'll come out with an after-market kit and charge us an arm-and-a-leg for it. Hopefully a third party markets something for those that really need it. For me it isn't that big of deal. I will rarely use it like this, but it would be nice to not need two other people to dump it when I want, or need, to work solo. I guess smaller loads would be my option.

I know your frustration believe me. Now to make it even more frustrating, I'm 55 yrs old and by myself, so I don't have anybody to help me lift or hold the latch..

So it's shovel in and shovel out!

And every single shovelful, I am cussing Honda for not only a ludicrous design but an unwillingness to even acknowledge that it's an issue or make their presence known on this forum when we all know they are reading this.

Their failure to utter a word is totally unacceptable. How about some decency and make a post with the following;

" To all of our loyal customers. We are sorry that you are experiencing an issue with the dump bed on the 1000 series.

Honestly, we didn't even realize that this was an issue, as you said yourself, it hasn't been around long enough for the dump bed to be fully utilized and for us to receive feedback.

After reading this thread and doing some additional research, we are slowly becoming more and more aware of this issue and our engineering department is looking into a fix.

We will keep you informed and periodically update the progress on this and other forums.

We thank you for choosing Honda! "

I think I would have a heart attack if once, just for once, a company showed it
cares :)

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I know your frustration believe me. Now to make it even more frustrating, I'm 55 yrs old and by myself, so I don't have anybody to help me lift or hold the latch..

So it's shovel in and shovel out!

And every single shovelful, I am cussing Honda for not only a ludicrous design but an unwillingness to even acknowledge that it's an issue or make their presence known on this forum when we all know they are reading this.

Their failure to utter a word is totally unacceptable. How about some decency and make a post with the following;

" To all of our loyal customers. We are sorry that you are experiencing an issue with the dump bed on the 1000 series.

Honestly, we didn't even realize that this was an issue, as you said yourself, it hasn't been around long enough for the dump bed to be fully utilized and for us to receive feedback.

After reading this thread and doing some additional research, we are slowly becoming more and more aware of this issue and our engineering department is looking into a fix.

We will keep you informed and periodically update the progress on this and other forums.

We thank you for choosing Honda! "

I think I would have a heart attack if once, just for once, a company showed it
cares :)

I retract my earlier statements. I went to Honda's website where they describe the Pioneer 1000 EPS. Here is what they say:

1000-POUND-CAPACITY TILT BED
There are a ton of reasons to buy a Pioneer 1000. Among them: the half-ton hauling capacity*. No side-by-side can haul more, and when it comes to dumping, we’ve made it easier than ever, with a hydraulic assist tilt bed lever that can be accessed from outside the vehicle, or right from the driver’s seat.

That does imply that it should have an easy to dump tilt bed. Had they merely stated it was a tilt bed, then they would not have the expectation that it do anything other than tilt. But they didn't.

Now, is there an adjustment on the hydraulic lift assist that your dealer did not adjust properly? Possibly a preload setting to it "pushes back" against the bed? Some hydraulic cylinders have an adjustment and possibly to keep it from springing open during shipment it is shipped with it being in the slack condition?

I think it would be worth a shot to check anyway. But I agree with you now. Honda does have an implied warranty with the statement above on their "features" list on their website.

Reactions: joeymt33
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I retract my earlier statements. I went to Honda's website where they describe the Pioneer 1000 EPS. Here is what they say:

1000-POUND-CAPACITY TILT BED
There are a ton of reasons to buy a Pioneer 1000. Among them: the half-ton hauling capacity*. No side-by-side can haul more, and when it comes to dumping, we’ve made it easier than ever, with a hydraulic assist tilt bed lever that can be accessed from outside the vehicle, or right from the driver’s seat.

That does imply that it should have an easy to dump tilt bed. Had they merely stated it was a tilt bed, then they would not have the expectation that it do anything other than tilt. But they didn't.

Now, is there an adjustment on the hydraulic lift assist that your dealer did not adjust properly? Possibly a preload setting to it "pushes back" against the bed? Some hydraulic cylinders have an adjustment and possibly to keep it from springing open during shipment it is shipped with it being in the slack condition?

I think it would be worth a shot to check anyway. But I agree with you now. Honda does have an implied warranty with the statement above on their "features" list on their website.

You're a fantastic research assistant, thank you :) With all my complaining, you would THINK somewhere along the line I should've posted that or even looked for it and I did not. My bad. Thank you!!

That's not a bad point and an interesting concept for sure! I will look at it tomorrow and see if there is any adjustment :)

Do you mind if I steal that from you and post it on the Dear Honda post?

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
But for the life of me I cannot see where you can release it from the outside? Only place I see is inside?? Am I not just old but blind also??

advertisement
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You're a fantastic research assistant, thank you :) With all my complaining, you would THINK somewhere along the line I should've posted that or even looked for it and I did not. My bad. Thank you!!

That's not a bad point and an interesting concept for sure! I will look at it tomorrow and see if there is any adjustment :)

Do you mind if I steal that from you and post it on the Dear Honda post?

Feel free and consider it amends for not thoroughly researching it before making a comment earlier. However, I have an excuse, I was at work and I was sneaking on to make comments on the thread when I should have been working on a really, really boring report. :)

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Feel free and consider it amends for not thoroughly researching it before making a comment earlier. However, I have an excuse, I was at work and I was sneaking on to make comments on the thread when I should have been working on a really, really boring report. :)

LMAO! Best reason I've heard :)

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
At the risk of alienating statists, religious zealots who dismiss precedent from their own Bible and moral busy-bodies who would dictate how others must live: 'Sister Wives' guests ask judge to strike down bigamy laws

Funny you said that, as I am definitely a Christian man, live and breath it, and was but a mere 24 hours ago I got into a VERY HEATED debate with fellow Christians about sexuality.

And I said I don't know why y'all think it's wrong, look in the Bible my friend, Moses among MANY others had multiple wives.

You know the Bible, that book you're always so fond of pulling versus out of to make your point?

Can't just pick the ones that make your point, you have to also pick the ones that slap you in the face!

It's not something I personally practice, but like or not, having multiple wives was a common practice and it's only our own PRESENT concept of it as to why others frown upon it. (personally I just think they're jealous)

Good luck and I wish you the best. And you don't need the judge to strike it down, just move merrily along with your life, knowing you don't need a piece of paper from man condoning it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MontanaBighorn
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Funny you said that, as I am definitely a Christian man, live and breath it, and was but a mere 24 hours ago I got into a VERY HEATED debate with fellow Christians about sexuality.

And I said I don't know why y'all think it's wrong, look in the Bible my friend, Moses among MANY others had multiple wives.

You know the Bible, that book you're always so fond of pulling versus out of to make your point?

Can't just pick the ones that make your point, you have to also pick the ones that slap you in the face!

It's not something I personally practice, but like or not, having multiple wives was a common practice and it's only our own PRESENT concept of it as to why others frown upon it. (personally I just think they're jealous)

Good luck and I wish you the best. And you don't need the judge to strike it down, just move merrily along with your life, knowing you don't need a piece of paper from man condoning it :)
Very well spoken Plummer. And Montana I'm sure that's a difficult thing and to come on here with that infront of this rough group I'm sure is tough but as I told you we'll still ride with you I meant what I said.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
These are great little lights for the interior. Since I work through the night I never dreamed I would need an interior light but I do. These are 10 bucks on Amazon and very bright. I use them on the inside of my commercial topper for my truck.

Magnetic too so if you don't want to mount it permanently you can keep it in the glove compartment and stick it up on the rollbar temporarily.

No sense in starting a new thread down for that.

Has anybody figured out a way yet to release the dump bed from the outside?

It says release from inside or outside and I've yet to see a way to release from outside?

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anybody figured out a way yet to release the dump bed from the outside? It says release from inside or outside and I've yet to see a way to release from outside?[/QUOTE said:
Open the door and pull the lever?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My 9 year old granddaughter reaches over the door and pulls the lever from the outside, figured it out on her own. What's the difficult concept to grasp on how to open from the outside?

Reactions: AKRider
advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!