P1000 Electrical Gremlin . . . with video--please help

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I recently washed my 2018 P-1000-5. Lightly washed the interior with spray nozzle, but not under the hood.

When I started it after washing, I noticed a "slower" than normal start, almost like the battery was dying. But, I just thought this was water ingress somewhere and it would clear up. The next week the battery did seem "slow" to start, but it always started. Upon real use of the machine at a ranch, I turned it off and I noticed this:

This response only happened twice and then it completely cleared up. Everything is normal now. What is this? Does anyone have any clue?

I could find no wires that were loose, chewed or otherwise damaged, etc. I do have one "power on" tap for my winch, but that the only accessory I have so far.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: Buggyman
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Electrical systems don't like water. Not much else to say.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have to agree with @Scoop here. all it takes is one time getting water in the electrical circuit and all weird hell brakes loose! Try saying Beatle juice 3 times and see what happens? JK

One thing i must ask, what is that noise in the background, the machines radio?

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Electrical systems don't like water. Not much else to say.
Thanks, I get that, but I gently sprayed the dash for a few seconds. It would be like it was left out in the rain for 15 minutes. I see people here all the time who have had their machines underwater.

Any other ideas?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I blow out my interior with the power washer every time. I do hit my dash briefly and from farther away, however, leaving most of that for wipe-down.

I have read that the back side of the electronics display has holes that are susceptible to taking in water, the guys that run them like boats like to seal them up.

Reactions: Smitty335
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get slower cranking starts once in a while, so I'm not sure that's part of your problem.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Do you wash with the key in the ignition?
- Recommend you always do so.

Also, the display for some reason has a constant 12v line. Not sure which pin it is on the Pioneer.
But on the Talon it is right beside the light circuit pin.

On the Talon, those that have used he extended display wire harness have had major issues like this.
Mostly because it uses a non sealed connector and is very acceptable to water entry.

I recommend blowing out the key slot and maybe checking the display connector but I know its a PITA to get to.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do you wash with the key in the ignition?
- Recommend you always do so.

Also, the display for some reason has a constant 12v line. Not sure which pin it is on the Pioneer.
But on the Talon it is right beside the light circuit pin.

On the Talon, those that have used he extended display wire harness have had major issues like this.
Mostly because it uses a non sealed connector and is very acceptable to water entry.

I recommend blowing out the key slot and maybe checking the display connector but I know its a PITA to get to.
The display has a constant 12V line for the clock to keep time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!