John

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have decided to use the Universal bus/relay shown earlier in this thread. I see that both nbomar and CumminsPusher have placed the in the same location.

Have you guys found any advantages or disadvantages to that location
? Has anyone with that same piece of equipment chosen a different mounting place?

I am just about to start drilling holes,screwing things down and running wire, so I thought I would ask where others have installed this unit?
I think if you look at Jackal's P1000-5 build he found a very interesting spot.

B

Blackstone

Jul 7, 2015
I have 2 questions,
1. What gauge wire are you running to your switches?
2. If you have a relay between batteries, does that mean the 2nd battery will not assist in starting the machine?

Thanks

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have 2 questions,
1. What gauge wire are you running to your switches?
2. If you have a relay between batteries, does that mean the 2nd battery will not assist in starting the machine?

Thanks

1. Running 14 gauge wire to my 5 switches powered on by ignition that control the relays, as well as grounds for all and for the backlighted led's in the switches powered on when OEM lights are turned on. For the 5 switches using only the 15 amp fuse without relays using 12 gauge wire.

2. It's not a relay between the batteries it is an isolator. To answer the question no the second battery it not used to start but the isolator does allow it to charge when running. The purpose of the isolator it the prevent anything from draining the main battery while all accessories are ran off the second battery ie radio etc.

B

Blackstone

Jul 7, 2015
1. Running 14 gauge wire to my 5 switches powered on by ignition that control the relays, as well as grounds for all and for the backlighted led's in the switches powered on when OEM lights are turned on. For the 5 switches using only the 15 amp fuse without relays using 12 gauge wire.

2. It's not a relay between the batteries it is an isolator. To answer the question no the second battery it not used to start but the isolator does allow it to charge when running. The purpose of the isolator it the prevent anything from draining the main battery while all accessories are ran off the second battery ie radio etc.
Thank you for clarifying this for me. I appreciate it!

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
Is this the correct diagram for the
Bussmann Fuse Box?

Eeotg

Last edited:
Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
I am getting ready to order my switches from
OTTR, so that will be complete.

My next question is how many amps to do the
winch & aux battery solenoids pull? Do I need
to run them with a fused circuit, or can I wire
the power straight to them?

Thanks!

John

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
If you are talking about the circuit to activate the coil in the winch solenoid, it probably pulls less than 1 amp so you can use a fused line. No need for a relay.

Do not attempt to run the winch power thru the PDM or anything other than the solenoid that come with the winch - It will fry.

Aux battery solenoid - is that instead of an isolator? Any solenoid coil should be fine with a fused circuit. Same warning as above about the high power output of the solenoid.

advertisement
Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
Yes.
"Isolator" for the aux battery.

But I am talking about switching power,
not full amp working power.

Thanks!

John

If you are talking about the circuit to activate the coil in the winch solenoid, it probably pulls less than 1 amp so you can use a fused line. No need for a relay.

Do not attempt to run the winch power thru the PDM or anything other than the solenoid that come with the winch - It will fry.

Aux battery solenoid - is that instead of an isolator? Any solenoid coil should be fine with a fused circuit. Same warning as above about the high power output of the solenoid.

winnscollision

winnscollision

Aug 24, 2013
Saluda SC

Damned all these wires!! Winch installed and had to top spool! Mounted my bussman above my aux battery.

Reactions: ghost
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
But I am talking about switching power,
not full amp working power.
Yeah John - I figured you were on top of that. I guess I put my warning in there for any newbies that might be reading this.

winnscollision - good thinking on the bussman location. I know what you mean about the nest of wires.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For those that dont like the glove box mount for the winch controller, I mounted mine on the black plastic between the hood and windshield. Offcenter to the driverside so i can reach out and plug in the controller from the drivers seat or stand outside the vehicle and run the controller. The cap on the receptacle closes up tight so shouldnt be any contamination issues.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Here's another spot to mount the PDM.
Remove the metal mounts that came with it and drill a small hole to put the wires thru.
I cut off the bottom of two 30-06 cases to use as spacers. I think I deserve extra red neck credits for that :D

IMG 2177 1 IMG 2179 1 IMG 2180

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Here's a pic of my layout. I took quite a few steps back and forth before I was satisfied with the position and configuration of it all.
The fuses on either side of the isolator were a challenge, not much cable length to include the fuses.
BA4DAED5 378C 4147 8067 A09D95597410

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's a pic of my layout. I took quite a few steps back and forth before I was satisfied with the position and configuration of it all.
The fuses on either side of the isolator were a challenge, not much cable length to include the fuses.
BA4DAED5 378C 4147 8067 A09D95597410

How was setup on the PDM60?

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
How was setup on the PDM60?
Not bad at all, even for a novice such as myself. The 6 circuit lines are all color coded and identified by number. One of the installation instruction sheets identifies each circuit line with its amperage capability. These circuit amperages of 5, 10 and 15 amps can be reshuffled so to speak via connection to a computer, but I was fine with the layout provided. One can choose between a ignition activation or a ground activation, I chose the ignition.
I like the feature of not depending on various fuses, should ever a circuit fail, just identify the problem on the circuit via the lights on the module, correct the issue, and cycle the key on and off, the PDM resets the circuit.
On very minor thing I've noticed, and I'm completely fine with this, once the key is turned on, it takes 7 seconds for the PDM to cycle up.
If I were ever doing this again, I'd definitely go with this PDM. Thanks for the suggestion Ohanacreek!

Reactions: ohanacreek
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!