Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
John.
You need to pull the amp specs for your winch. Is 55 amps enough for the main line? I'm not sure it is.

I also always recommend wiring to key on power vs. a on/off switch.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
Superwinch provided 6 ga for the cables to
run the winch. Why would I need anything
heavier to feed between the batteries?

And with the manual switch, I can limit the
load on the primary battery, while the ignition
switch is on, if I choose to do so.

John

Edit..
You need at least 175 amp wire!

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yep. I found it. Your right, is 6ga.
Lol.
I'm tapped out with help on that. So maybe someone knows.
Hahaha.
Merry Christmas.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
6 gauge is a good choice.
John - The way you are wiring it, it will not be switched power. Some people seem to prefer that.
Hondasxs - why do you prefer switched power? I'm still deciding which way to go...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I have always been told it was best in case of a winch emergency. People will turn the key off and it will kill all power. Hunting for a on/off switch will come after the realize the key did not work.

But reading that back to myself... I ask. What if the solenoid stuck?
So is my statement irrelevant?

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never wired a winch to switch power on a truck/jeep. Straight to battery.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
But in this case the winch is controlled
by a remote mounted solenoid that
needs an external 12v power feed.

I have a small aux battery in my plane,
and I can use the switch that feeds it
to either charge that battery in flight,
isolate it from the main power, should
I have a major electrical issue, and it
allows me to feed the panel, with the
master switch off. Wow, that sounds
a lot like what I need on the 1k3!

John

I've never wired a winch to switch power on a truck/jeep. Straight to battery.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
I installed my power wires from the
winch to the solenoid. Fabbed up
the cables to the battery, thermal
cut off, and battery to battery
ground.

Is it safe to assume that the battery
control solenoid breaks the positive?
There was no schematic with it.

I have to make up those cables &
and 2 temporary switches for
winch control & battery solenoid.

It was pretty straight forward
once I got started.

John

advertisement
BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Has anyone figured out this Accessory Harness and where to plug it in?

Calvin

Calvin

Lifetime Member
Dec 20, 2015
Benton, La.
Been looking into this accessory sub harness and found a picture of it in on a forum talking about back up alarm on p700. It says that it plugs in between the main wiring harness and 12v accessory on dash (cigarette lighter). One part of it said you take the harness running from main harness to 12v accessory off and replace it with the acc. Sub harness? Not sure if this is same way on p1000?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    313.8 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: BigRiver
Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
I found the diagram for the solenoid
wiring in this thread, duh!

It shows 2 fuse links, but the kit
only came with one. Do I need 2?

I was thinking if I installed one
between the solenoid & the aux
battery, that should be good.

Edit to add. My bad. The fuse link came
with the winch.

Merry Christmas.

John

Last edited:
BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Been looking into this accessory sub harness and found a picture of it in on a forum talking about back up alarm on p700. It says that it plugs in between the main wiring harness and 12v accessory on dash (cigarette lighter). One part of it said you take the harness running from main harness to 12v accessory off and replace it with the acc. Sub harness? Not sure if this is same way on p1000?
Calvin, Thanks for posting this up. I have the harness in hand now, will attempt to access the 12 volt plug. Not sure how that will go, we'll see.

Calvin

Calvin

Lifetime Member
Dec 20, 2015
Benton, La.
Calvin, Thanks for posting this up. I have the harness in hand now, will attempt to access the 12 volt plug. Not sure how that will go, we'll see.
Let me know how it goes. I'm really wanting to go this route for my switched power to my lights on my switches.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I looked very hard at the accessibility of the backside of the cig lighter. Very tough to get to. In addition, I'm not certain that the sub harness will actually work in that spot. I'm beginning to think about separating the fuse holder from it's resting position and accessing the wire going to the accessory fuse. It's certainly a lot easier to get to, though I'm not sure if its a keyed action or it's continuous power. Still wondering through the bushes on this one.

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
Is it a bad idea to just have wire inserted with fuse for accessory outlet??? That's what I did and seems to work but I'm sure it's not the best way...

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I spent considerable time today chasing that rabbit down the hole. I eventually unplugged the lead going to the cig lighter. Pulled it topside and removed some tape to find the line going into the massive ball of connections. That's where I stopped. Didn't feel like unwrapping untold number of connections. End results are that I'm going to tap into the white/black line on the cig line. It actually runs up high to the body of the spider mentioned above. As for the sub harness, it was a $7.00 gamble, it was worth a try.
If anyone else here discovers something that I couldn't find, hat's off to ya. Electrical stuff just isn't my gig.

16Honda

16Honda

Nov 24, 2015
Missouri
I spent considerable time today chasing that rabbit down the hole. I eventually unplugged the lead going to the cig lighter. Pulled it topside and removed some tape to find the line going into the massive ball of connections. That's where I stopped. Didn't feel like unwrapping untold number of connections. End results are that I'm going to tap into the white/black line on the cig line. It actually runs up high to the body of the spider mentioned above. As for the sub harness, it was a $7.00 gamble, it was worth a try.
If anyone else here discovers something that I couldn't find, hat's off to ya. Electrical stuff just isn't my gig.
I guess thats what I'll do.Could you tell us how to access the wire? I looked for a way to get to it but it didn't look easy. I couldn't see the rear of lighter or power outlet….what ever its called.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Here's a pic of the overall layout on top. The harness mass is behind and on the left side of the stock battery.
7C60D5C9 C1DA 4307 BAE6 1718518D2144

At the mass of wires, the band that kicks off to the left...Yours may not have it but the white and gray dot wire is exposed.
702D2739 9A2C 448F 984D 5ABFC045B568

A close up of the wire I'll tap.....
43A345C7 8255 4D43 B22E DE0AADC8F97D

Perhaps I quit following the lead too early, maybe if I had gone further, I may have found the plugs to connect. I may still, but this is what I've found so far.

Reactions: Calvin
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!