P500 Elka S3 Shocks

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
I replied to @conk1234 below asking about the Walker Evans as they fit his 520, but I figured I would make a separate post to see if anyone has put the Elka S3's on a 520 yet. Elka lists them for 2015-2017 P500 only, but I'm thinking if the WE's sold for the 500 fit the 520 why wouldn't the Elka's. I phoned them but I just got an I don't know answer. Neither option is cheap, will cost about $200 more for the Elka's but they are the next province over and I can get them pretty much right away. The WE's say 8-12 weeks shipping and then I have have to pay tax's/duty ect at the border.
As a side note, I just received my OEM A arm guards from Rockymountain that they had listed for the 520. When arrived the box says for 2015 P500 and they fit just fine.

Jdub74

Jdub74

Mar 25, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey was about to post the same question 🤣
I’m in Florida myself, don’t want to wait 12weeks for WE. Got the same answer from ELKA, you figure they be on top of it to make that sale. The man on the phone said he’s not even sure if they fit 2020 Pioneer 500 😳.

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
I’m in Florida myself, don’t want to wait 12weeks for WE. Got the same answer from ELKA, you figure they be on top of it to make that sale. The man on the phone said he’s not even sure if they fit 2020 Pioneer 500 😳.
I think I got a sales guy that didn't sound very interested in helping me. I sent an email to customer service asking if they could tell me the mounting hole sizes and and centre to centre dimensions of the shock to see how it compares to the 520. I believe the front bolts on the 500 are 10mm and rears are 12mm, which is the same as the 520. So if length is similar then should be okay to go as there is room for the reservoir.
I didn't notice until after that there is a lead time with them as well from 8-10 weeks, but I asked in the email anyways.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
I have Elka stage 3 for front and rear on my 2020 p500 and they fit perfect

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
I have Elka stage 3 for front and rear on my 2020 p500 and they fit perfect
That's great to know, thanks for posting. How do you like them?

I just received email back from Ekla and all bolt size and sleeve width's are the same as on the 520. Extended length of the shocks is 10mm longer on fronts and 6mm longer on rear which is not a factor.
Guess I'll pull the trigger, no, not you @trigger lol

Jdub74

Jdub74

Mar 25, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think I got a sales guy that didn't sound very interested in helping me. I sent an email to customer service asking if they could tell me the mounting hole sizes and and centre to centre dimensions of the shock to see how it compares to the 520. I believe the front bolts on the 500 are 10mm and rears are 12mm, which is the same as the 520. So if length is similar then should be okay to go as there is room for the reservoir.
I didn't notice until after that there is a lead time with them as well from 8-10 weeks, but I asked in the email anyways.
That’s great, seen them on Amazon where it says they’ll ship within 6 to 10 days. I can only hope.

They’re $400 more then the WE, $799 a set, I’m guessing they’re as good or better? Anyone has any experience with both? Thanks

I’m pretty surprised that their website has no info on fitment after 2017. Didn’t think it was that labor intensive or cost prohibitive to do so😳.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
That's great to know, thanks for posting. How do you like them?

I just received email back from Ekla and all bolt size and sleeve width's are the same as on the 520. Extended length of the shocks is 10mm longer on fronts and 6mm longer on rear which is not a factor.
Guess I'll pull the trigger, no, not you @trigger lol
They totally improved the harshness of the ride. The stock shocks were almost unbearable if you was riding on rough ground and the Elka stage 3 shocks changed that but keep in mind that the little p500 And the p520 only have like 6 inches of suspension travel and the ride can only get so good with so little of travel but the Elka shocks make it as good as it can be and I’m sure the WE’s shocks would do the same

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
They totally improved the harshness of the ride. The stock shocks were almost unbearable if you was riding on rough ground and the Elka stage 3 shocks changed that but keep in mind that the little p500 And the p520 only have like 6 inches of suspension travel and the ride can only get so good with so little of travel but the Elka shocks make it as good as it can be and I’m sure the WE’s shocks would do the same
Thanks for the reply, I hope I don't have to wait too long for them to come now.
On a different subject, I noticed in another thread you had posted a pic of your machine and it looks like you have some fender flares of some sort installed? I have been looking for something as the mud getting flung off the bigger tires makes a mess. I haven't found anything so was about to make something soon.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Thanks for the reply, I hope I don't have to wait too long for them to come now.
On a different subject, I noticed in another thread you had posted a pic of your machine and it looks like you have some fender flares of some sort installed? I have been looking for something as the mud getting flung off the bigger tires makes a mess. I haven't found anything so was about to make something soon.
They are mud busters extra coverage on the front. I didn’t put anything on the rear. I plan to make my own for the rear.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Can’t say what the WE’s are like, can attest to the Elkas S3’s though and they have been top drawer... combined with radials same size front to back really does more then lipstick on a little pig, (tried various spacers with the stock shock). No question in stock format these little buggers can ride harsh. With fore noted improvements (radials and stage 3’s) is worth the effort MO, turned my little frumpy, choppy... into smooth riding Dozer. I totally recall bracing for the impacts, the first while (even the wife notice right away) and was shocked heh heh... floated right over. For me the cost of entry is totally worth it.
Cheers

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Update. WOW.
Well our Elka S3 Shocks finally arrived the other day, right at 10 weeks (they said 8-10). So here’s some info on the install and my thoughts on them.
They are advertised as being for a P500 2015-2017. In my comments above you can see I did as much as I could to make sure dimensions seemed the same for the 520. Everything looked like it should be okay so I went ahead and ordered. They fit perfectly with no issues and were super easy and quick to install. The front reservoirs are angled out somewhat but there is definitely room for them to go straight back like the rears. At first I put the front right side on and was able to tuck the reservoir inboard and facing rear, was very well protected, but on the left, trying the same, it just touched the brake line, so I swapped them around and both face the rear but angled out a bit. Maybe there was a clearance issue with something on the 500. All the instructions said was to have the reservoirs facing aft. There is also plenty of clearance for the left rear reservoir from the exhaust, and there won’t be any heat issues.
This original testing was with me and my wife, 3/4 tank of fuel and nothing in the box. As soon as I started driving it I noticed a difference in the feel immediately, it’s not near as stiff feeling just driving around. Just has this plushiness to it. Then we went across the field beside me, it’s fairly rough and one section has some sharp ruts. Before I would go slowly in 2nd gear over these ruts and it was jarring, now I was able to go across in any gear and it was like they were hardly there. Next was a trip over to the local village, it’s about 10km’s and there is a very rough and rocky trail we take to go there, which also has quite a few wooded and sandy trails that go off it. I’d say we got there in half the time it usually takes! Again, rocky sections that we used to crawl over in 2nd, we were hitting in 3rd and 4th and the 520 soaked them right up, the difference really was amazing.
The S3’s have a low speed compression adjustment, a knob you turn on top of the reservoir. 24 clicks from Firm to Plush, their wording. Elka set up our shocks using information I sent them, so they had the spring preload all set up, and the compression setting at 10 clicks down from full firm. I’ll mention here that changing to the 27 inch Kenda Bearclaw tires, the ride height went to 10 3/16” at the front, and 10 3/4” at the rear. I gained another 3/8 at the front, and 13/16 at the rear after installing the Elka’s. That can be increased or decreased as well, by adjusting the spring preload. That will also affect the ride as well depending on the weight.
I spent decades setting up suspension on my dirt and race bikes so I have started playing around almost right away with the settings on these. The spring preload seems to be right on the money, so I won’t play with that too much right now. I started with the compression. On our ride back from that village, I dialed them down to full plush at the start. A noticeable difference, it was definitely more “plush” and this setting would be good for riding on smooth trails lightly loaded, but I didn’t like the feel as much. Then adjusted to full firm and rode over the same section, a very noticeable difference again, definitely firmer and you could feel the rocks a bit more as well. But at our weight and no load in the box, it was still a good ride but a bit too harsh for us. But this is what I like to do, go from full soft to full hard so you can actually feel the difference. I dialed them back to the 10 clicks down from full firm and then we hit some wooded trails. The suspension was really good, the trails are typical for in a forest, good bumps, some rocks and roots and good undulations, the Elka’s just soaked it all up. Then we went to another section that had a lot of really good sized sand whoops and it handled those really well too. There was never any jarring or bottoming out like before.
I’ll start playing around with different loads in the box soon, and next week we are going on an overnight trip to an area that has some amazing trails, very rocky and big elevation changes, so I can’t wait to see the difference up there compared to when we were up there a few weeks ago.
All in all, we are very happy with our decision to spend the CDN$2000 on the suspension. The difference is amazing and has completely changed the feel of this little guy. I’m looking forward to many more miles of enjoying this investment. Like others have said, this is the biggest “wow” improvement I think you can make.

6AE93634 DB05 4E7D 852F BCDE65BA7BFF

639DB641 1D7E 4D71 92B2 6E1C154171B6

F right
651DD6A4 B57A 4FEE A022 57D80DC506BC

F left
5B3D7F6F 6323 4BB1 BA99 B2058590E6DD

R right
87044847 5363 4376 8D35 D38463FF8D6E

R left
76C1A6C3 2A6A 4AE1 A1D7 AF82EE66ACD7

Last edited:
Snek

Snek

“Member” huh huh
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2021
Saint Augustine FL
Ownership

1. 500
Also in Florida, and I’m on week 3 of the WE wait 😞

Jdub74

Jdub74

Mar 25, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Also in Florida, and I’m on week 3 of the WE wait

After all the back and forth I too ended up going with WE. I’m on week 3 myself, while checking out the site shipping estimates varied depending on what page I was looking at. Some estimates went as long as 16 to 20 weeks. Oh dear lord don’t let it be so

After going with 5psi in a 27” radial bear claw tire I’m wondering just how much better can it really get given that we’re talking about 5.8” of travel here after all. And then I read a review like the one above and get exited all over

Them ELKA shocks look freaking awesome

At the same time it will be interesting to see what will happen to ELKA orders once the Canadian COVID gestapo are out in full force this coming fall and winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Got back Friday night from a two day overnight trip to the Madawaska Highlands, an area about 1 1/2 hrs north of here. Very technical and tight trails if you want them. It was a good test for the new Elka's, and they passed with flying colours! Back in mid June we went up for the day and did about 70km's and were beat at the end of the day. This time we did about 70km's day 1, and 60km's day 2, also on a lot more technical trails, and the difference was huge. We did not feel in the least bit beat up and the ride and handling was so much better. This trip just confirmed we made the right decision!
Pic is typical of the trails there, this is a steep rocky/root downhill to a stream crossing, though you can't tell the steepness in the pic.

IMG 5389

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
This thread got me interested in an aftermarket suspension. I called Elka and they quoted me $1,759 for a set of four S3's. Ouch! I might explore less expensive alternatives. I suppose I am completely unfamiliar with suspensions and how much they tend to cost.

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
This thread got me interested in an aftermarket suspension. I called Elka and they quoted me $1,759 for a set of four S3's. Ouch! I might explore less expensive alternatives. I suppose I am completely unfamiliar with suspensions and how much they tend to cost.
Good suspension has never been cheap, but well worth the price. I don't even want to think what I have spent on my different race bikes over the years, but was always worth it.
If you plan on doing trail riding where the trails are even slightly rough, you won't be disappointed at all with upgraded suspension. I know the WE's are a few hundred less than the Elka's and have good reports as well. It was my wife who made the final decision to go for the Elka's, ( It is her's after all), and she is so happy after our two day ride we just did.

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I've never replaced or installed shocks before...and I'm one of the least mechanically-inclined people on the forum. It looks like you just jack up the front (or rear) to where the load is off the shocks but the tires are still barely touching the ground...then unbolt and remove the old ones, and bolt on the new ones. Is it that simple, or am I delusional?

Reactions: Mbradley42
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
I've never replaced or installed shocks before...and I'm one of the least mechanically-inclined people on the forum. It looks like you just jack up the front (or rear) to where the load is off the shocks but the tires are still barely touching the ground...then unbolt and remove the old ones, and bolt on the new ones. Is it that simple, or am I delusional?
Yep. It is that easy. No modification needed.

Reactions: wvupsc and Aerolite

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!