P500 Elka S3 Shocks

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
I've never replaced or installed shocks before...and I'm one of the least mechanically-inclined people on the forum. It looks like you just jack up the front (or rear) to where the load is off the shocks but the tires are still barely touching the ground...then unbolt and remove the old ones, and bolt on the new ones. Is it that simple, or am I delusional?
Like the boss above said, super easy. Take your wheels off, one bolt top and bottom on the shocks, pull old ones out, put new ones in, they fit perfectly. There are O-rings and spacers at each end as well, but the o-rings were already in, and spacers just press in by hand. The whole job took less than an hour to do, (assuming your machine is nice and clean, lol).

Reactions: wvupsc
wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
So I am looking at Elka Stage 2 vs Stage 3. Not a huge price difference. But I'm wondering what Stage 3 gets the average user over Stage 2. I ride over rough trails and occasionally have a load (rocks, firewood, deer, etc.) in the bed.

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Aerolite - My wife complains about the roughness of the ride, so I had her read your two reviews. She said..."If it makes that much of a difference, why wouldn't you get them?" 😄
Just seeing your posts this morning. I'm glad my reviews helped in the decision to get them, you will both be happy with the results. I can't wait to get back out for a long ride again. I mentioned how much better the technical trails were, but even just the narrow dirt roads with potholes were so much better to ride on. We also did a bunch of km's on the hydro line trails which are a big mix of rough dirt road and loose rocky climbs, and the ride and handling was a big improvement.
The S3's give you the low speed compression adjustment over the 2's rebound. I would have liked to have both but would have had to go to the 4's and the price hike was just too much. Having the compression adjustment was more important to me, plus the difference in price wasn't that much. Going to our campsite last week, the 520 was loaded up with all our camping gear and some extra fuel, I'm guessing around 180 pounds, plus the two of us and gas tank topped up. All I did was increase the rear compression adjustment by three clicks. We stuck to just the narrow rough road going in and it handled all the bumps just fine. With all the info we provided when ordering, I think they got the pre-load really close. I'm still going to play around with it soon and will let you know how that goes.
The wait is tough, we were told 8-10 weeks when the confirmation email came in. At the start of week 10 we still hadn't heard anything, so the Monday I sent an email asking, and the Tuesday I got a reply saying they shipped, and were at my door the next day, (we are only 2 1/2 hrs from them). The wait is worth it though, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of them!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just seeing your posts this morning. I'm glad my reviews helped in the decision to get them, you will both be happy with the results. I can't wait to get back out for a long ride again. I mentioned how much better the technical trails were, but even just the narrow dirt roads with potholes were so much better to ride on. We also did a bunch of km's on the hydro line trails which are a big mix of rough dirt road and loose rocky climbs, and the ride and handling was a big improvement.
The S3's give you the low speed compression adjustment over the 2's rebound. I would have liked to have both but would have had to go to the 4's and the price hike was just too much. Having the compression adjustment was more important to me, plus the difference in price wasn't that much. Going to our campsite last week, the 520 was loaded up with all our camping gear and some extra fuel, I'm guessing around 180 pounds, plus the two of us and gas tank topped up. All I did was increase the rear compression adjustment by three clicks. We stuck to just the narrow rough road going in and it handled all the bumps just fine. With all the info we provided when ordering, I think they got the pre-load really close. I'm still going to play around with it soon and will let you know how that goes.
The wait is tough, we were told 8-10 weeks when the confirmation email came in. At the start of week 10 we still hadn't heard anything, so the Monday I sent an email asking, and the Tuesday I got a reply saying they shipped, and were at my door the next day, (we are only 2 1/2 hrs from them). The wait is worth it though, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of them!
I sure like my S5's

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Our rationale was similar. Once I convinced myself that I wanted more than the S1's, the price difference between S2's and S3's were not enough to be the deciding factor. The big price jump is from S1 to S2. I never really considered S4's or S5's. S3's are probably overkill for my needs...but what the heck.

I sent a message with my P520 data thru Elka's customer service website asking for a recommendation. They forwarded it to iShock, which is one of their US distributers that supposedly is most familiar with Honda Pioneers. They got back with me immediately and were very helpful with providing advice, and I ordered thru them. 9.5-11.5 more weeks to go. This will seem like an eternity.

Reactions: futzin and Aerolite
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Guys,when you install your new shocks,jack front of the machine up and rotate the right front wheel.Make sure that the CV joint is not binding as you rotate the shaft at full droop.Mine did with the WE's.I fixed the problem by cutting off the lower shock mount and moving it outward 1/2 inch.The better shocks seem to be a tad longer than stock.The very short right front drive shaft does not allow much lift over stock.If it goes bump,bump,bump when you rotate the wheel,that's not good for the joint.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good night guy's and girl!

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing
Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Guys,when you install your new shocks,jack front of the machine up and rotate the right front wheel.Make sure that the CV joint is not binding as you rotate the shaft at full droop.Mine did with the WE's.I fixed the problem by cutting off the lower shock mount and moving it outward 1/2 inch.The better shocks seem to be a tad longer than stock.The very short right front drive shaft does not allow much lift over stock.If it goes bump,bump,bump when you rotate the wheel,that's not good for the joint.
Just checked mine with the Elka’s and all is nice and smooth.

Pauly B

Pauly B

Aug 23, 2021
Hudson Valley, New York
Ownership

1. 520
Hey guys. I just called Elka to order suspension for my P520. He refused to place the order, stating that there is a note saying do not sell the P5 suspension for the 520. I told him there are dozens of people on this forum stating that they fit/work great. He said they are wrong and basically ended my phone call. Terrible customer service so far.

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Hey guys. I just called Elka to order suspension for my P520. He refused to place the order, stating that there is a note saying do not sell the P5 suspension for the 520. I told him there are dozens of people on this forum stating that they fit/work great. He said they are wrong and basically ended my phone call. Terrible customer service so far.
check your PMs...

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
The first time I called them the guy I got on the phone was a real winner, no help and wouldn't listen. I asked to speak to his manager and he said he wasn't available. I hung up and called back and got a different person who was nothing but helpful. We went back and forth with him sending me measurements that I asked for. I told him about the other guy and he said he would pass the info to his boss.
So I would call them back and complain about the guy you talked to. Tell them you can send them pics of the S3's installed on a 520, use the one's I posted here.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
This seems crazy that customer service is like this. Anyone with the WE shocks have a similar experience getting a shock for the P520

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
When I ordered my S3's, Elka referred me to their US distributor, ishock. They were much more helpful than Elka customer service. I can't give a full report on ishock or the actual Elka shocks yet, because my shocks are not going to be delivered until mid/late October.

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
Pauly B

Pauly B

Aug 23, 2021
Hudson Valley, New York
Ownership

1. 520
This seems crazy that customer service is like this. Anyone with the WE shocks have a similar experience getting a shock for the P520
Yeah, I had much better luck with the guys over at iShock. Darren was a very helpful and friendly person to deal with. wvupsc hooked me up with this contact.
ps. Current wait time is 11-12 weeks.
Darren McGarvie
760-366-3640
Your online source for ATV, UTV, Motorcycle and Automotive Suspension | iShock is your #1 source for Elka and Fox shocks!

Reactions: Aerolite and wvupsc

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!