P500 Elka S3 Shocks

Jdub74

Jdub74

Mar 25, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So I received my WE shocks and wouldn’t you know it I seemingly broke an axle 2 days prior. Come to find out there is no aftermarket axles for the 520. (500 is hard to find). The 520 axle had a new part number, was told something is different about it from previous model. Had to order from dealer for $136 (thought to myself what a great price) just to find out that only includes the outer CV. If you want the inner one as well is $160 more 🤣
After replacement I can’t find anything broken (even though boot was twisted, possibly due to skipping spline?) and there was this slight bump while rotating the wheel while on jack stands. Inspection of axle upon removal shows no damage. 😳
Now as long as I can get a hold of low profile oetiker clamp pliers by next weekend I’ll be posting initial shock impressions 😁

8D24C743 D58F 48D0 8AD4 976D7AED8E02

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
So I received my WE shocks and wouldn’t you know it I seemingly broke an axle 2 days prior. Come to find out there is no aftermarket axles for the 520. (500 is hard to find). The 520 axle had a new part number, was told something is different about it from previous model. Had to order from dealer for $136 (thought to myself what a great price) just to find out that only includes the outer CV. If you want the inner one as well is $160 more 🤣
After replacement I can’t find anything broken (even though boot was twisted, possibly due to skipping spline?) and there was this slight bump while rotating the wheel while on jack stands. Inspection of axle upon removal shows no damage. 😳
Now as long as I can get a hold of low profile oetiker clamp pliers by next weekend I’ll be posting initial shock impressions 😁

View attachment 296004
I have to ask.... how did you damage your axle? Was it defective or were you having a little too much fun?

Jdub74

Jdub74

Mar 25, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have to ask.... how did you damage your axle? Was it defective or were you having a little too much fun?
27” Tire, locker front axle, flooded trail. Went out alone, with wife who dislikes speed, but doesn’t mind chest deep. With trail being flooded, ruts are a concern and really I was just hoping for the best. Typically we ride 30 to 60 miles no winch, this time 6 miles with a whole lot of winching 🤣

After about the fifth winch session I started to be a little more aggressive trying to power through 🤣

Funny thing if not for the boot twist there were no other indicators something was wrong (Other then the odd bump while spinning the wheel in the air) I’m still not sure whether the axle was damaged or not. 🤔

Reactions: wvupsc
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
For the fellas and gals that acquire Elkas. I’d recommend using a quality anti-seize paste and coat the threads on the preload lock ring tiny set screws. These are the little Allan head set screws in the side of the preload lock ring that prevents the ring from rotating. Happy smoother trails!
Cheers.

Reactions: Splorin and PAA
wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I installed my Stage 3's this morning and took it for a short test drive. So far so good. I haven't changed the settings on it yet. I will do that when I take it to my property in the next week or two. The ride is noticeably less harsh. I stall was easy, even for a non-mechanically inclined person like myself.

Not sure if Aerolite is still haunting this forum after selling his Honda and going to the dark side... but his write-ups in this thread helped a lot.... So if you are still reading this thread...Thanks.

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
I installed my Stage 3's this morning and took it for a short test drive. So far so good. I haven't changed the settings on it yet. I will do that when I take it to my property in the next week or two. The ride is noticeably less harsh. I stall was easy, even for a non-mechanically inclined person like myself.

Not sure if Aerolite is still haunting this forum after selling his Honda and going to the dark side... but his write-ups in this thread helped a lot.... So if you are still reading this thread...Thanks.
Yeah, I'm still coming back once in awhile, lol
Your welcome, glad you're happy with them. The more different types of terrain you get on, the more you'll love em!
I'm machineless right now. I'm next in line for the SE version of the RMAX2 at the dealership, but will likely be Feb/March before I see it. But I do miss my little Honda a lot!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!