Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am still running stock.

But I would like to invest in some nice shocks in the future.

From the research I have seen on this forum most people seem to lean towards fox if you want something decent and not too expensive otherwise start with elka 3.

My understanding is that for the money fox is better than elka 1 and 2. Fox can be better than elka 3 if proper single rate coils are used on the foxes. By the time you spend the time and money on fox with different coils you could have went elka 3.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Get the stage 5 and you’ll never look back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've got the Stage 5's and I'm always looking back to see if I need to stop and wait. The 5's are expensive but I think there worth it. I just don't care for the one size fits all of the other shock mgf's.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am still running stock.

But I would like to invest in some nice shocks in the future.

From the research I have seen on this forum most people seem to lean towards fox if you want something decent and not too expensive otherwise start with elka 3.

My understanding is that for the money fox is better than elka 1 and 2. Fox can be better than elka 3 if proper single rate coils are used on the foxes. By the time you spend the time and money on fox with different coils you could have went elka 3.
I've got $1,500 or so in my fox shocks and single rate springs. Last time I looked on elka website the stage 3 shocks were $2,200

advertisement
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone that has ordered shocks from Ron’s recently received theirs recently? Wondering how long the backorder is.
I ordered on November 18. Received the back shocks a couple weeks ago. Should have an update next week about the fronts. They are receiving an order but don't know what's in it

T

tiogajoe

Aug 21, 2013
I tried Ron ayers and did not get that price when I tried to buy them?

Reactions: Lady01
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had Fox shocks on my first and second Pioneer. I don't think Honda did us a favor with the spring rate. I came across a deal on Elka Stage 4s and they were good with 28" tires and with 30s they are excellent. That being said offset a-arms front and rear add just enough wheelbase to really take advantage of good shocks.

Elkas are without a doubt great but...choose your tire size first, if your tires require more clearance, choose your a-arms next. If you're still not happy with bigger tires and offset arms reconsider your shock options. I'm fairly convinced you could achieve excellent ride quality with Fox shocks and springs swapped for your axle weights, in the end you'd have quick adjustments and a smooth ride... alternatively Elkas give you a great ride and opportunity to make adjustments as you go, which most people rarely do.

Bama-Daniel

Bama-Daniel

Lifetime Member
Feb 25, 2021
Priceville, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had Fox shocks on my first and second Pioneer. I don't think Honda did us a favor with the spring rate. I came across a deal on Elka Stage 4s and they were good with 28" tires and with 30s they are excellent. That being said offset a-arms front and rear add just enough wheelbase to really take advantage of good shocks.

Elkas are without a doubt great but...choose your tire size first, if your tires require more clearance, choose your a-arms next. If you're still not happy with bigger tires and offset arms reconsider your shock options. I'm fairly convinced you could achieve excellent ride quality with Fox shocks and springs swapped for your axle weights, in the end you'd have quick adjustments and a smooth ride... alternatively Elkas give you a great ride and opportunity to make adjustments as you go, which most people rarely do.
Great points.

CRob8348

CRob8348

Dec 12, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the Elka stage 4's and have $2721 invested. By far the most expensive accessory I have added to my machine, BUT what a difference in ride quality. The one thing you also get with the Elka's is more adjustability. Just my 2 cents
Colorado 2021

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have the Elka stage 4's and have $2721 invested. By far the most expensive accessory I have added to my machine, BUT what a difference in ride quality. The one thing you also get with the Elka's is more adjustability. Just my 2 centsView attachment 311178
I agree!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!