M

Michiganboy

Aug 17, 2021
Grand Rapids
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I am still running stock.

But I would like to invest in some nice shocks in the future.

From the research I have seen on this forum most people seem to lean towards fox if you want something decent and not too expensive otherwise start with elka 3.

My understanding is that for the money fox is better than elka 1 and 2. Fox can be better than elka 3 if proper single rate coils are used on the foxes. By the time you spend the time and money on fox with different coils you could have went elka 3.
The fox’s are good for the P1000’s. way better then stock. If you need better shocks you probably need a different machine. If your planing on hitting jumps or ride trails over 45mph get a X3.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 P1K5-LE, which came with the Fox QS3's. I paid the extra over the Deluxe primarily to get the Fox shocks.
Over the first three or four months I played with the adjustments. Once I figured out what I like (middle), I stopped hunting for a better ride. I spend a lot of time in the back country and several folks have remarked about how smooth my machine rides - primarily Can Am and Po Po owners.
I've never tried Elka's, so I don't have an opinion about them.

B

Bad_Kharmah

Apr 4, 2022
DMV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What type of riding are you guys with the Elkas doing? When I first bought my Pioneer deluxe I took it out for its first trail ride and thought I might have made a mistake buying the Pioneer. Talk about crappy ride quality! It's one of the harshest side by sides I've ever ridden in. I thought the solution would be the QS3's, and they helped a bit.........but I'm still jealous of the ride quality my friend has in his Wolverine X4 with Walker Evans shocks. Small rocks, sharp rocks, chatter......you can't even feel it in his Yamaha. With my QS3's it feels like someone is smacking the underside of my Pioneer with a hammer over the same terrain.

Maybe I am asking too much of the Pioneer, but for those who have run Hatfield trails at 30+ without blowing through the suspension, how are you doing it?

Reactions: Lady01
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What type of riding are you guys with the Elkas doing? When I first bought my Pioneer deluxe I took it out for its first trail ride and thought I might have made a mistake buying the Pioneer. Talk about crappy ride quality! It's one of the harshest side by sides I've ever ridden in. I thought the solution would be the QS3's, and they helped a bit.........but I'm still jealous of the ride quality my friend has in his Wolverine X4 with Walker Evans shocks. Small rocks, sharp rocks, chatter......you can't even feel it in his Yamaha. With my QS3's it feels like someone is smacking the underside of my Pioneer with a hammer over the same terrain.

Maybe I am asking too much of the Pioneer, but for those who have run Hatfield trails at 30+ without blowing through the suspension, how are you doing it?
Are you still running the stock coils on the fox shocks? That has alot to do with it. Most stock coils on the QS3 run out of pre load before it ever hits the trail. Start adding some supplies and the fox shocks can really fail in ride quality. Post about your typical ride style and weight throughout the vehicle and someone can chime in on here and help steer you in a better direction for coils.

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!