P500 Elka stage

Jevin

Jevin

Oct 2, 2019
Saint John, NB, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Jevin, I would love to get some more feedback from you and other that have had these for a while. I was looking at Polaris models last night (don’t egg my house!!) as I do love my P5, but the ride is just atrocious. Elka stage 1 seems pretty reasonable, rebound adj would be nice but it’s 150 bucks more. If the stage 1 is dialed in good I’d be happy with not slowing to 5mph to not pogo thru a series of potholes.
When I bought my p5 it already had 26 inch radial tires so I don’t know how the stock tires ride but I heard they are even rougher. I found the ride ruff for sure but I tolerated it because I wasn’t willing to deal with other machines trade offs. No bike is perfect and you need to know what are top priorities for you. For me it was Honda reliability and transmission. I love to shift my gears, not a fan of belts. The only flaw I see is that they only have 5 inches of travel. The shocks can only do so much, that being said the Elka shocks take care of a lot of those issues. It will still bottom out but it will happen at faster speeds because the Elka’s are that good. I still notice the back bucking but I will add Elka’s to the rear soon. My wife noticed it as soon as went over larger rocks. It use to be coming down violently but know it comes down nice and controlled. I’m sure the other machines are nice and sure they are faster than the p5. For me and the riding I do trail, logging roads and the tight stuff the P5 is perfect. $1500 on top of the price is not cheap but if you like the P5 and want to ride all day and not be crippled up, that to me is worth it. Hope this helps and I’m sure you will get many suggestions on what to do. Take care

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
When I bought my p5 it already had 26 inch radial tires so I don’t know how the stock tires ride but I heard they are even rougher. I found the ride ruff for sure but I tolerated it because I wasn’t willing to deal with other machines trade offs. No bike is perfect and you need to know what are top priorities for you. For me it was Honda reliability and transmission. I love to shift my gears, not a fan of belts. The only flaw I see is that they only have 5 inches of travel. The shocks can only do so much, that being said the Elka shocks take care of a lot of those issues. It will still bottom out but it will happen at faster speeds because the Elka’s are that good. I still notice the back bucking but I will add Elka’s to the rear soon. My wife noticed it as soon as went over larger rocks. It use to be coming down violently but know it comes down nice and controlled. I’m sure the other machines are nice and sure they are faster than the p5. For me and the riding I do trail, logging roads and the tight stuff the P5 is perfect. $1500 on top of the price is not cheap but if you like the P5 and want to ride all day and not be crippled up, that to me is worth it. Hope this helps and I’m sure you will get many suggestions on what to do. Take care

Thanks for your input. Still mulling it over, got as far as putting a set in my cart to check the shipping charges.

Markdale

Markdale

Jul 27, 2020
Kitchener
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Jevin.
Very close to hitting the go button on Elka Stage 1 Front & Rear. Sounds like you purchased the P5 for the same reasons we did. We love everything about it except the suspension.

Last edited:
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Messing about with tire pressure will affect ride and handling, even a slight change can make a difference. Checked all my tires the other day and adjusted to 8 psi on all corners... just me, chainsaw and a few other odds and ends in machine. Will be adjusting to 7 psi per corner. Typically have them at 6 in front and 8 in rear or thereabouts and will be monitoring closer. Find that 6 rides pillowy smooth, although cornering on hard(er) gravel logging roads tends to lean some. 8 is nicer in respect to lean, however on rough terrain big boulders etc, and slow trail riding not pillowy... I am being picky and will say Elkas and radials are the way to max out ride and handling on these little rigs.
Cheers,
j

Markdale

Markdale

Jul 27, 2020
Kitchener
Ownership

1. 500
Good info on tire pressure j.
I have just started playing with tire pressure. Went from 10 psi to 5 psi, the change made for a softer ride but hard to steer and scraped rocks that we normally don't. Hopefully with the Elka's I can tune in a tire pressure that best suits our rides.

Markdale

Markdale

Jul 27, 2020
Kitchener
Ownership

1. 500
Elka stage 1 installed all four corners. Big improvement, I would rate the factory shocks at 3 out of 10 and the Elka's at 7.5 out of 10

Elka factory sugested a minimum of 7 psi on the tires. I was running the tires at 5 psi just to make the ride a little softer. With the Elka's I now have the tires at 7 psi, much better steering and about 1" higher ground clearance

I think it is worth every penny if you are going to have the SXS for a long time.

IMG 4723 IMG 4721

Last edited:
T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I'm looking hard at new shocks, but not sure what to get. Elka, 814, or walker evans. Anyone have any experience with any/all to make a good comparison?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm looking hard at new shocks, but not sure what to get. Elka, 814, or walker evans. Anyone have any experience with any/all to make a good comparison?
Any of them will help, but you P5 will never handle like a sport model. :(

Reactions: Jevin
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
It;s not a sport model.They have not come out with the P500s model yet.😁

Reactions: Smitty335
NMelkaholic

NMelkaholic

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just installed my Elka stage 3 shocks on my 2018 1000-5 deluxe, I do not have any riding time on them yet ... ( installing more mods) but in the instructions there is a note saying they recommend tire PSI at 14??? anyone running that high?? Thanx!

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Elka stage 1 installed all four corners. Big improvement, I would rate the factory shocks at 3 out of 10 and the Elka's at 7.5 out of 10

Elka factory sugested a minimum of 7 psi on the tires. I was running the tires at 5 psi just to make the ride a little softer. With the Elka's I now have the tires at 7 psi, much better steering and about 1" higher ground clearance

I think it is worth every penny if you are going to have the SXS for a long time.

View attachment 236843 View attachment 236847

I somehow missed this post! Thanks for sharing, You've helped me make up my mind to order a set.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!