Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Looks like I need to raise the front 1/2", and lower the rear 3/8" (give or take a sixteenth or two). As measured to the bottom of the frame member at each closest point ... using the Elkas as shipped to me.
And after a ride they tend to sag and settle. Will probably require more adjustment until they and you find their happy place.

N

Nebraskabob

Jun 28, 2023
Lincoln, Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
I'm new to the sxs world but have always had a utility ATV. Just picked up a used p5 last week and I'm thinking about new shocks. I rode the big kawasaki mule pro the other day and loved how smooth it was at slow speeds. Does anyone know how stage 1s would compare to something like that?

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I'm new to the sxs world but have always had a utility ATV. Just picked up a used p5 last week and I'm thinking about new shocks. I rode the big kawasaki mule pro the other day and loved how smooth it was at slow speeds. Does anyone know how stage 1s would compare to something like that?
Good question.
Welcome to the club from East Tennessee.

Reactions: Backwoods and Rdrcr
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Doubt they would help much at low speeds as there isn't much spring real estate for variable rates. The Walker Evans, which are similar to the Elkas are known for needing to be pushed hard to feel the difference. They're still rough at low speeds, IMO.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
They will be a big improvement over stock shocks, but they are a set it and forget it as far as adjustments go except for preload. They have to decide were the sweet spot is for most riders. the stage one have most of the improvement at higher speeds and bottoming out. Still big improvement over stock

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I likely wouldn't see much difference at 5 to 15 mph?
Depends on what your expectations are. The sxs will be more composed all round but I would not say they will be plush at low speeds with sharp edge type bumps. Much better than stock. I would say they might feel stiff to you but not harsh if that makes sense.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Smooth is not really a word that will likely be oft used in the same sentence with P5, even with aftermarket shocks. Very much improved, absolutely yes.

Doubt they would help much at low speeds as there isn't much spring real estate for variable rates. The Walker Evans, which are similar to the Elkas are known for needing to be pushed hard to feel the difference. They're still rough at low speeds, IMO.
They will be a big improvement over stock shocks, but they are a set it and forget it as far as adjustments go except for preload. They have to decide were the sweet spot is for most riders. the stage one have most of the improvement at higher speeds and bottoming out. Still big improvement over stock
Depends on what your expectations are. The sxs will be more composed all round but I would not say they will be plush at low speeds with sharp edge type bumps. Much better than stock. I would say they might feel stiff to you but not harsh if that makes sense.

Agree, x3.

Welcome, from Kentucky. Congrats on your purchase. Post a pic of it if you get the chance!

N

Nebraskabob

Jun 28, 2023
Lincoln, Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
Earlier I went by the local power sports store and tried to get a gauge on the stiffness of the smaller sxs. Wow the mule pro is soft,l. My p5 was much stiffer than anything else it looked at. I think I'll just put some more hours on mine and really pay attention to the ride at different speeds.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!