P500 EMP Roof aluminum or plastic ?

C

crushing

Mar 14, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 520
Ok so I have been trying decide the best roof to buy for my pioneer 520 . I have settled on the EMP roof but trying to decide between the aluminum or plastic roof. What are the pros and cons ? Some folks say the aluminum cause cab to be much loader but I am wondering is it that big of difference . Also thinking the aluminum roof would give me more storage options when hunting, maybe allow to mount a top rack ( that is removable ) or strap packs to it easier than plastic . I know all of you are a wealth of knowledge so wanted your thoughts on this.

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
I can’t help with the aluminum, both of my Pioneers have plastic. I don’t know how sturdy the EMP plastic is but the OEM Honda’s are plenty strong enough to mount to.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I have the Honda OEM. Pro is the higher interior height, also useful when mounting radios to the ROPS using honda quick clamp. Negative is its adds a few inches and may require a taller enclosed trailer door, but its comes off easily with the quick clamp mounts.

279E377D C687 4223 9A93 B48CCFB2B254

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I have the EMP aluminum roof. It's sturdy, and fits like a glove. I am a fair weather rider, and usually don't venture out if its raining, so its primary use for me is shade in the summer, and keeping tree branches out of the cab. It is not as easy to take off as the Honda roof, but once on, I never take it off, and I have towed at 80 mph + with no problems. The Honda roof also has more overhang in the front, and comes down a little lower in the back. I think it might give a little more protection from the elements, if you venture out a lot in rain or snow.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have the EMP plastic on for 5 years now . I like it a lot . Low profile and looks good too. The guys around here who like aluminum buy a pc and take to a shop and have it bent the way the want with as much or as little overhang as they want AND it saves them a good bit of money too .

C

crushing

Mar 14, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 520
I have the Honda OEM. Pro is the higher interior height, also useful when mounting radios to the ROPS using honda quick clamp. Negative is its adds a few inches and may require a taller enclosed trailer door, but its comes off easily with the quick clamp mounts.

View attachment 277181
Do you know what the total height is with your roof ?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I bought the EMP plastic roof for my P520 and think it is a good product. I like that it sits lower than the stock roof, because I may want to get an enclosed trailer at some point.

Rob

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Like @SILVER_ALERT I also have the aluminum EMP roof and have no complaints.
I purchased it mainly due to the low added height (about 1/2" above ROPS) that I needed to fit inside the door of my enclosed trailer, and I have a little over 1" vertical clearance to spare running 26" Blackwater's.

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
C

crushing

Mar 14, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 520
I will have to measure but think I have right at 76 or 77inch clearance on my weekend warrior toy hauler . So sounds like I would be cutting it close with 26 or 27 inch tires to fit in toy hauler . So from everyone’s feed back seems like plastic gives you a little more protection from elements (rain, snow ) but has few more inches of added height and the aluminum is lower profile .

Reactions: Bigtee
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I will have to measure but think I have right at 76 or 77inch clearance on my weekend warrior toy hauler . So sounds like I would be cutting it close with 26 or 27 inch tires to fit in toy hauler . So from everyone’s feed back seems like plastic gives you a little more protection from elements (rain, snow ) but has few more inches of added height and the aluminum is lower profile .
I think the EMP roof would be the same profile and clearance height whether aluminum or plastic. The clearance that @Mudder gave you is for the OEM Honda roof, which as he mentioned does give you more headroom to mount things than does the EMP.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
The EMP aluminum roof adds about 1/4” max additional height to the P5’s roll cage. No idea about the plastic roof.

I don’t understand how the plastic would give more protection from rain and snow.

6e642d3c1a43bf64744c71c5dc65a9a8

You can see the tube better before I installed the soft doors.

7f724ae166aa192d049b0fe170bc62e0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The EMP aluminum roof adds about 1/4” max additional height to the P5’s roll cage. No idea about the plastic roof.

I don’t understand how the plastic would give more protection from rain and snow.

View attachment 277894

You can see the tube better before I installed the soft doors.

View attachment 277895

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OEM roof extends a bit out in front with a drip channel and the top section helps direct runoff there. Less drips of the sides. But nothing stops sideways rain other than doors.
.Image

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520

View attachment 277181
How do you like that TYT? 8600, I assume? How are you running your antennae setup?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
How do you like that TYT? 8600, I assume? How are you running your antennae setup?
Like it alot. Antenna mounted on right front fender. Got my Ham lic as well. Here’s a good thread.

66C9FB8D CA5D 4F8F B9B8 9713B8710488

Reactions: The Green Goat
Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
PM @Ragnar406 , he is an expert on this. Just know GMRS only requires a fee for x number of years.
Thanks Mudder, I have a GMRS license, they are a 10 year license now.

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!