P500 EMP Roof or Honda OEM

B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
Okay folks. I am fairly new to this forum, and I just purchased a P500. I am looking at roof/windshield/rear windshield combinations. I am also have to seriously consider height. My current storage shed is a resin shed that is difficult to modify for extra headroom. My P500 clears, but only because I lowered the tire pressure to 6 psi. I'm 6'-4", 200 lbs, and the drivers side clears by what appears to be a 1/2" or so, but the passenger side is less. I have an opportunity to purchase an OEM Honda roof for it that is used. I could probably get it for $160-$170. But I am also considering the EMP roof, with the EMP front and rear windshields. I know the Honda OEM roof has quick clamps and I could remove it, but I am wondering how big of a pain that would be over time. Any thoughts on which roof I should go with? And, if I go with the Honda roof, which front and rear windshield combination works best (as in, no gaps in the top of the windshield.....I'm in Wyoming....it's cold...). Also, I have read other posts stating you can take a ratchet strap and pull the suspension down some. However, I do not see a good place to mount the strap to on the rear in order to do this. If someone has done this, can you post photos of where to mount them? If I did that, I can release them once I get it in my storage shed and go with the EMP roof/windshield combo where I wouldn't have to remove the roof. Thanks to all on this forum for their helpful input and ideas!

B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
And I should also state I want to mount a gun rack somewhere. I know some have stated the roof type should be considered with this as well. I like the idea of not removing the roof, which is why I like the EMP. But, if you look at their return policy, they don't really allow it unless it's defective on arrival. So, I thought I'd get some input before I buy. Thanks to all!

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Okay folks. I am fairly new to this forum, and I just purchased a P500. I am looking at roof/windshield/rear windshield combinations. I am also have to seriously consider height. My current storage shed is a resin shed that is difficult to modify for extra headroom. My P500 clears, but only because I lowered the tire pressure to 6 psi. I'm 6'-4", 200 lbs, and the drivers side clears by what appears to be a 1/2" or so, but the passenger side is less. I have an opportunity to purchase an OEM Honda roof for it that is used. I could probably get it for $160-$170. But I am also considering the EMP roof, with the EMP front and rear windshields. I know the Honda OEM roof has quick clamps and I could remove it, but I am wondering how big of a pain that would be over time. Any thoughts on which roof I should go with? And, if I go with the Honda roof, which front and rear windshield combination works best (as in, no gaps in the top of the windshield.....I'm in Wyoming....it's cold...). Also, I have read other posts stating you can take a ratchet strap and pull the suspension down some. However, I do not see a good place to mount the strap to on the rear in order to do this. If someone has done this, can you post photos of where to mount them? If I did that, I can release them once I get it in my storage shed and go with the EMP roof/windshield combo where I wouldn't have to remove the roof. Thanks to all on this forum for their helpful input and ideas!
I have the EMP roof (see post #6 in this thread). Adds about 1/2" in overall height.
My first windshield was a Moose folding which had abut a 6 inch gap at the top, nice for my GoPro mount but a real downer in the rain, plus it scratched quite badly, (not sure how the EMP windshield would perform, but I'm sure it would fit perfectly with their roof).
I have since gotten the sxswindshield see: P500 - Honda 500 Full Glass Windshield which I'm very pleased with, and it fits great with the EMP roof.
If interested call Fred direct at 801-380-1255.
Might be the best solution for your storage issue, roof gun mount may present a slight problem due to your height though.
Check out post #45 for pictures of Fred's windshield installed with my EMP roof, actually the whole thread is worth a read.
He's a member and a great guy to work with.

Reactions: SORGuy
B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
I have the EMP roof (see post #6 in this thread). Adds about 1/2" in overall height.
My first windshield was a Moose folding which had abut a 6 inch gap at the top, nice for my GoPro mount but a real downer in the rain, plus it scratched quite badly, (not sure how the EMP windshield would perform, but I'm sure it would fit perfectly with their roof).
I have since gotten the sxswindshield see: P500 - Honda 500 Full Glass Windshield which I'm very pleased with, and it fits great with the EMP roof.
If interested call Fred direct at 801-380-1255.
Might be the best solution for your storage issue, roof gun mount may present a slight problem due to your height though.
Check out post #45 for pictures of Fred's windshield installed with my EMP roof, actually the whole thread is worth a read.
He's a member and a great guy to work with.

Thanks DaddyDubbs (a fellow Alabamian I see.....me too...born and raised). I will look into Fred's windshield. If anyone has any photos of ratcheting down their P500 suspension for clearance photos I'd be interested in seeing those. I have watched videos of the EMP roof with their windshield. They appear to work perfectly together.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
Upstater

Upstater

Nov 13, 2018
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 500
I'm new to the p5 world as I just picked mine up this weekend but I am planning to install the EMP poly roof tonight. It seems like good quality and secure rubber coated clamps. I should know more tonight. I have it on stock rims with 26" bearclaw htr's and can measure the new height when I'm done if anyone needs that info. The poly roof is way less than Honda OEM and shouldn't make it as tall either.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!