P1000 EMP winch mount with Superwinch Terra 45

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good to know the rotation thing... I'm overly picky too.. I went with the EMP to avoid the line angle. Will I be disappointed?

No, you should be happy with that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

JTW- wasn't trying to scare anyone. The mount works as advertised once the winch mount plate was rotated 180. This could have been my fault. Directions and pics are not great.
I looked closer at OP's original post and pics and then realized his post was from last spring. There have been updates since then. My mount came with carriage bolts - that's why I didn't have bolt clearance issues.
There were alignment issues with u-bolts and brackets attaching to the frame uprights, but I made some slight adjustments to the brackets and it works. That's just me being overly picky.
Hope this helps.

I'm sure glad you said the rotation thing.. because you're absolutely right!! I even watched the install video from EMP and they're wrong.. it rotates 180 degrees! Also.. you're correct... line angle is fine but it's not that impressive because it's a pain in the ass to mount!! I'd have to install a KFI before I could choose between them. I'll order one of them for dad and see how that goes!

Anyway.. I sure appreciate you speaking up!!

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure glad you said the rotation thing.. because you're absolutely right!! I even watched the install video from EMP and they're wrong.. it rotates 180 degrees! Also.. you're correct... line angle is fine but it's not that impressive because it's a pain in the ass to mount!! I'd have to install a KFI before I could choose between them. I'll order one of them for dad and see how that goes!

Anyway.. I sure appreciate you speaking up!!

Happy to help.

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Couple of follow-ups on this thread that may help someone who plans to install the EMP mount.

1. I emailed EMP and asked about a forum discount and they responded with a code good for 10% off, so if you're planning to order, call or drop them an email. Shipping was fast and reasonable.
  2. There was a fitment issue between the SuperWinch 4500 housing and the Honda OEM bumper that was keeping the bumper from seating completely and I couldn't reinstall the bumper bolts (upper or lower). They would almost start, but not quite. After further dialogue, I think that rotating the plate 180º would have given me that 1/8" or so back. I had a die grinder handy, so i clearanced the Honda brace a bit with a burr. I took off maybe 5/32" at the deepest point (probably less). See pics #1 and #2.
  3. One of the things I liked about the EMP was the braces that tied to the P1K frame. Unfortunately, on my mount kit, the legs weren't bent properly and they were also keeping the bumper from seating cleanly as they were hitting a Honda frame cross-brace. Note that in pic #4 the legs have at least 5/8" or so separation from the square bumper tube. Mine had maybe 1/8", so I had to bend them down to clear the Honda cross-brace. I think the leg braces were the root of the fitment issues, but I didn't figure that out until I had already clearanced the bumper a bit. See pics #3 and #4 for the winch support braces.
Neither of the fitment issues were hard to solve and it wouldn't keep me from recommending the EMP mount. HTH

ETA: Clarity around whether or not the bumper needs trimming vs. plate rotation.

1 2 3 4

Last edited:
Reactions: Corona1
J

JTW

Couple of follow-ups on this thread that may help someone who plans to install the EMP mount.

1. I emailed EMP and asked about a forum discount and they responded with a code good for 10% off, so if you're planning to order, call or drop them an email. Shipping was fast and reasonable.
  2. There was a fitment issue between the SuperWinch 4500 housing and the Honda OEM bumper that was keeping the bumper from seating completely and I couldn't reinstall the bumper bolts (upper or lower). I had to clearance the Honda brace a bit with a burr. I took off maybe 3/16" at the deepest point (probably less). See pics #1 and #2.
  3. One of the things I liked about the EMP was the braces that tied to the P1K frame. Unfortunately, on my mount kit, the legs weren't bent properly and they were also keeping the bumper from seating cleanly as they were hitting a Honda frame cross-brace. Note that in pic #4 the legs have at least 5/8" or so separation from the square bumper tube. Mine had maybe 1/8", so I had to bend them down to clear the Honda cross-brace. See pics #3 and #4 for the winch support braces.
Neither of the fitment issues were hard to solve and it wouldn't keep me from recommending the EMP mount. HTH

View attachment 29383 View attachment 29384 View attachment 29385 View attachment 29386
Odd.. I had no fitment issues once I rotated the plate.

Reactions: Corona1
lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It wasn't a rotation issue on this one or it would've been off by a lot. The bolts would almost start, but it took a lot of pressure to get that first thread to hang on one side. When I pulled it back off, you see where the bumper brace had cut through a sticker on the winch motor housing from me pushing on the bumper trying to line up the mount holes.

J

JTW

I put the winch on the plate first.. put it on and it wouldn't fit right. Lucky another member mentioned having to rotate the plate 180 degrees so that the long end of the "T" was facing forward. Once that was done there were no fitment issues. Is that how you installed yours or did you install it the way the EMP picture above has the plate oriented?

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same as JTW. Rotated the plate and no issues. Odd that yours would have been worse once rotated.

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll have to look at it again and see what I could have missed, but it was off by probably 1/8" to line up the bolt holes (without a lot of pressure). It makes sense that most of the problem was the improperly bent winch mount braces hitting the frame cross-brace. I had everything loose to trial fit and that would've allowed the winch to be pushed into the bumper brace and cut into the sticker/housing.

Didn't figure out that the plate braces weren't bent right until after I had clearanced the bumper brace. The winch mount braces on mine were just barely under the square bumper tube and needed to bent down a good 1/2".

advertisement
Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you have it figured out. I had to bend the braces as well.

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you have it figured out. I had to bend the braces as well.

How far was yours off before you rotated the plate? If it was ~1/8" or so, then I had the plate rotated wrong and all of my issue was the braces.

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same. Couldn't quite get the side bumper bolts installed and the braces would not flush out with the frame.
Rotated the plate,everything lined up. As you stated, had to bend the braces.
I have plowed snow a couple of times now and the winch and mount are very solid.

81toyota

Oct 15, 2016
Harnett County, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Same. Couldn't quite get the side bumper bolts installed and the braces would not flush out with the frame.
I have plowed snow a couple of times now and the winch and mount are very solid.

Was your mount the new one with the carriage bolts or the old style? Also how is the winch cable clearance between the cable going out the bumper and the plate with the plate flipped.

When I was mocking mine up it looked as the cable would rub the plate being rotated like in the picture

Eba5d702f2e7951cb78f37d908aeedc3

Has anyone had any problems with the clearance between the cable and the mounting plate with it flipped?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Was your mount the new one with the carriage bolts or the old style? Also how is the winch cable clearance between the cable going out the bumper and the plate with the plate flipped.

When I was mocking mine up it looked as the cable would rub the plate being rotated like in the picture

View attachment 30089

Has anyone had any problems with the clearance between the cable and the mounting plate with it flipped?

I had carriage bolts in mine and no clearance issues with the plate rotated. The winch is hanging from the bottom of the plate (inverted) and basically a straight shot out.

81toyota

Oct 15, 2016
Harnett County, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So once it's all tightened up the cable is straighter out. I know with it loose it looked like it could rub the plate.

Thanks man

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't recall the cable clearance being a concern at all. I have the new style.

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same as the guys above ^^ - carriage bolts and a straight shot out the front.

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just looked at it again, no issues.

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
Img 1852 jpg29416

So, does the bumper go to the top side or bottom side of this picture? My winch should be here wednesday. I already have the EMP mount.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!