P1000 EMP winch mount with Superwinch Terra 45

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
So its pretty late and I stopped for the night. I'm going to try to write this out the best I can. I had the Honda Warn winch mount with Warn 4500 winch from Honda previously installed but we had a little mishap when we were stuck in a blizzard a weekend or two ago and I cracked the drum so I wanted to get another winch while I wait for parts. I saw EMP had released their mount and it looked like it had way less angle than the stock mount and I thought it would be better for synthetic rope.

Fast forward to thursday morning and I ordered it from EMP overnight delivery (which ended up costing more than the mount!) The were great and got it out that day so I received it Friday. Friday night after work I started installing it and noticed that one of the bolts was not going to fit the mount on the planetary gear side without grinding the bolt most of the way down and welding it in place since there would be no room for a wrench at that point. Got that done and painted then installed it on to the bumper.

That's where I ran into the next major problem. It doesn't fit the stock bumper with a Terra 45. It hit the side brace on the Terra 45's planetary house and also the tabs for the drum support rod hit the front of the bumper! Fast forward to Saturday and after work I cut the support out of the bumper to clear the planetary and welding a piece back in on the side to restrengthen it. Also I had to cut the lower part of the bumper and fold it out in like a triangle shape then re weld it so it didn't look like s***. Got all that done and it worked perfect.

Then I started to try to tighten the inner bolts, what a freaking pain in the ass that was. Ended up using a ratchet wrench on the back two bolts through the front of the bumper and the front ones I slowly did by hand. A few beers later I had those ones done. Then I moved onto the side ones and they were pretty easy for the most part you just can't get a whole lot of turn out of them. Make sure you put the U-bolts in before tightening all these too cause I made that mistake just trying to tighten the inner ones before sliding the bumper on (which didn't work because it sucks the bumper tubes in enough they won't slide into the frame) The U-bolt ones were probably the easiest to tighten but I didn't like the fact that there's a little over a 1/4" gap between the supports and the frame. Yes I did have the plate all the way back too. There's only so much actual wiggle room it would work with.

So all in all the Superwinch Terra 45 is NOT a bolt in option for that mount. Warn pro vantage 4500 will probably fit as they use a smaller planetary set, more powerful motor and a 1/4" larger drum to get their gearing down. I also think the Warn may have a little bit better cable angle being a larger drum. But I didn't check with mine cause it was such a pain installing. The Superwinch line on the last wrap of the drum still does have an angle coming out even with the fairlead down as far as it will go without hogging out the stock holes. Its much less of an angle though. I would say like 15 degrees? I could be off on that it might be more or less, i'm tired.

All in all it is decently made piece,time consuming to install but should be strong. The powder coating was done nice and they include quality bolts and flanged nyloc nuts with it. Their instructions are pretty decent except where they forgot to say which direction the plate goes. I can look with a flashlight and tell you if you need help one side has more holes that's how i figure it out since they had it on their website and you could see. It will be a nightmare if you broke your cable close to the drum and had to respool it on the trail. Taking the bumper off will take 10 times as long now since you will need to loosen all the bolts to the mount since they pull the bumper tubes together a bit.

Last thing worth mentioning is there is no protection for the Superwinch Terra 45 since it all the way up against the bash plate. You hit that bash plate in the right spot where you had to cut and reweld it for room your winch will be broke cause its going to take the blow. As soon as someone comes out with a better option or full bumper I will be taking this off and going that route. If not I will be building my own bumper this winter when I have more time if my winch cable makes it that long.

Last edited:
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Here was the first problem I ran into mounting the Terra 45. Its where I had to weld the bolt

BC06D2B7 348D 4D4B BBC2 BDFC3A9CA865 zpsq0xgicxy
38F1E4D2 8D1E 48A2 886B CDAB3AB099F1 zpsqvtpy365

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Heres some shots from when I had to cut the bumper out to clear the winch

2CD30003 587C 4521 AC0A 0FF1264F6704 zps5b636hbo
0D7CB3DC 3776 449A B345 8D053FAE8CB9 zpsemm0hpwj

If you look close you can see the support on the side closest to the bottom of the picture of the support I had to cut out to clear the winch planetary housing. For reference look at the brace on the opposite side it was the same as this side but I didn't have to cut it the motor side clears by an 1/8" or so
38A2E28F 10F6 4548 A250 7E178FBB3F14 zpshyc5iimy
0B9379D2 7C34 47F9 8BB1 E4B9F5305A29 zpssw2wehgr
79EEB099 3CA8 4F76 AFC5 B111745D2D31 zpsnfqyebu7

Last edited:
Reactions: pct
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Final product with my quick craptastic paint job. You really can't tell that I actually modified it especially if you weren't looking for it. BBB6C0F4 B8EC 49B4 80D1 F53185ACCD48 zpsrfa05bzz

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dang, that's a lot of work to add a winch. Did you install your first winch? I thought the Honda winch plate and warn was a easy install, but you had to make some mods that should not have been over looked.

Reminds me of the fight i had installing the CATVOS.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Sounds like a big PITA for mounting a winch. I mounted a Terra 45 on a KFI mount on my P1K then on a Strong Made Winch series bumper when it finally arrived. Both installs went very easy no suprises.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Dang, that's a lot of work to add a winch. Did you install your first winch? I thought the Honda winch plate and warn was a easy install, but you had to make some mods that should not have been over looked.

Reminds me of the fight i had installing the CATVOS.
Yeah I mounted the factory Honda. I don't trust dealership people to do things right. Plus I'm glad I did as Honda wanted you to run a super long cable to the engine for a ground when it should be as short as possible straight to the battery

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah I mounted the factory Honda. I don't trust dealership people to do things right. Plus I'm glad I did as Honda wanted you to run a super long cable to the engine for a ground when it should be as short as possible straight to the battery

The OEM mount was easy and trouble free in comparison right?

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Sounds like a big PITA for mounting a winch. I mounted a Terra 45 on a KFI mount on my P1K then on a Strong Made Winch series bumper when it finally arrived. Both installs went very easy no suprises.
I just saw the strong made last night. I'm starting to consider that only I worried a little bit on the leverage it might have during a really hard pull.

advertisement
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I will say though with a Warn winch in that mount I think it will clear. Its good and sturdy for what it is. I think it would be better for someone that didn't use the winch all the time though due to the difficulty of cable replacement.

Reactions: Dave1967
chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does super winch with cable do better with Kfi mount

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
praying my warn 4500 fits without modifications now, I don't have the ability to modify my bumper like that.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well that's not good at all. I have the Terra mounted on the KFI. I have been waiting on information about the EMP to see if it would be the answer to the pull angle. I won't be buying that one for sure now. I may write the company and ask how they can advertise it to fit when it obviously does not. Thanks for the detail.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Does super winch with cable do better with Kfi mount
It will not matter if you choose wire cable or synthetic rope versions. I would personally use the synthetic rope.

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
praying my warn 4500 fits without modifications now, I don't have the ability to modify my bumper like that.
Let us know if it fits together well I might upgrade to warn

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Well that's not good at all. I have the Terra mounted on the KFI. I have been waiting on information about the EMP to see if it would be the answer to the pull angle. I won't be buying that one for sure now. I may write the company and ask how they can advertise it to fit when it obviously does not. Thanks for the detail.
I'm going to email them pictures today. I mentioned the bolt situation to them the night it happened and they emailed me back monday. I believe they really do care. Like anything thing though i'm guessing they didn't have one to test and only went off the size of the winch which should have been similar to the one they tested but I think they used a warn and they are a bit smaller.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to email them pictures today. I mentioned the bolt situation to them the night it happened and they emailed me back monday. I believe they really do care. Like anything thing though i'm guessing they didn't have one to test and only went off the size of the winch which should have been similar to the one they tested but I think they used a warn and they are a bit smaller.

If you do hear back from them with any type of solution or fix, please let me know. If they just offer an excuse or apology then I think most folks that read of your effort to make a poor product work will stay away from that brand without a second look. It's unfortunate that you have had to pay the price to see what kind of people are Extreme Metal Products.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
If you do hear back from them with any type of solution or fix, please let me know. If they just offer an excuse or apology then I think most folks that read of your effort to make a poor product work will stay away from that brand without a second look. It's unfortunate that you have had to pay the price to see what kind of people are Extreme Metal Products.
Just got an email back this morning. They asked for some more pictures and sound like they want to make the changes so it will fit all winches. Hopefully I can help them enough. Glad they want to work with it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!