CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Since the sub trans does not have wet clutches is it of to use energy conserving oil in it?

Rand
Yep, okay. Some of us use the Honda oil with moly. Do NOT put this in your engine.

Photo thx to hondabob -
1634410459187 png

1634410544688 png

Reactions: Udaman and ChadD
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Redline Shockproof Heavy in the subtrans and F&R differentials. It's really really good.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yep, okay. Some of us use the Honda oil with moly. Do NOT put this in your engine.

Photo thx to hondabob -
View attachment 441917

View attachment 441918

There are much better oils out there to use than that. Engine oil is not what I'd be putting in there regardless of what the manufacturer tells you. Adam Brown the Talon subtrans guru tells his customers to use Royal Purple 80/90 gear oil in all the subtrans that he rebuilds and refines for customers.

Reactions: CID and Udaman
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
There are much better oils out there to use than that. Engine oil is not what I'd be putting in there regardless of what the manufacturer tells you. Adam Brown the Talon subtrans guru tells his customers to use Royal Purple 80/90 gear oil in all the subtrans that he rebuilds and refines for customers.

That guy has his own head up his ass as much as he believes his own s***.

• Haha
Reactions: JACKAL and 906UP
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Royal Purple 80/90 gear oil in all the subtrans...
I believe one or more of our members here have shown that gear oil in the sub is a bad idea up here in the North. IIRC, things get sluggish and sticky in the cold.

Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I believe one or more of our members here have shown that gear oil in the sub is a bad idea up here in the North. IIRC, things get sluggish and sticky in the cold.

If you run in colder climates then I'd recommend Redline Shockproof Lightweight.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Don't elaborate on that statement at all..... 🙄
I'll bite, why would Honda recommend using a lubricant that doesn't best suit the use case scenario? Don't know this sub trans guru, so don't have a horse in this race. That said I've experimented much in the 50 years I've been riding Hondas and have learned to just follow the manufacturers recommendation's that spent millions in R&D vs. a mechanics opinion of what they think is better, unless of course there is documented proof to establish the OEM recommendation's are insufficient.

Reactions: Dankathy and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'll bite, why would Honda recommend using a lubricant that doesn't best suit the use case scenario? Don't know this sub trans guru, so don't have a horse in this race. That said I've experimented much in the 50 years I've been riding Hondas and have learned to just follow the manufacturers recommendation's that spent millions in R&D vs. a mechanics opinion of what they think is better, unless of course there is documented proof to establish the OEM recommendation's are insufficient.

Because putting top of heap fluids/parts in every machine they make isn't cost effective for them. If you think any manufacturer that mass produces a product is using anything other than the cheapest thing available that meets their minimum spec you are a fool, but you do you and keep thinking that isn't the case. 🤣

I'll keep using my Redline products and enjoy the benefits of what "way over minimum spec" oils do to keep my subtrans and diffs in my 19 R looking new after several race seasons.

• Wow
Reactions: futzin
advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Because putting top of heap fluids/parts in every machine they make isn't cost effective for them. If you think any manufacturer that mass produces a product is using anything other than the cheapest thing available that meets their minimum spec you are a fool, but you do you and keep thinking that isn't the case. 🤣

I'll keep using my Redline products and enjoy the benefits of what "way over minimum spec" oils do to keep my subtrans and diffs in my 19 R looking new after several race seasons.
I can understand the manufactures putting the cheapest things in machines to get them out the door for the first "100 miles initial service " but one would think recommending a higher priced product for the service intervals would provide greater profit margins for dealers that service peoples machines.

I get that adequate does not equal optimal.

Reactions: futzin
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I can understand the manufactures putting the cheapest things in machines to get them out the door for the first "100 miles initial service " but one would think recommending a higher priced product for the service intervals would provide greater profit margins for dealers that service peoples machines.

I get that adequate does not equal optimal.

If you think Honda cares about it's dealers profit margins you are vastly mistaken