Talon engine oil

D

dankathyc

Feb 6, 2019
hurricane ut
Ownership

1. Other Brand
time for the first oil change. the manual says not to use oils labeled "energy conserving or resource conserving", but i seem to have a lot of this on hand in 10w30. i assume this is advised against because of friction modifiers that may harm the clutches. is it going to be ok to use what i have or should i stay with honda oil? is there another oil available in 10w30 that is not resource conserving?

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
You will want to use a jaso ma or ma2 rated oil due to the wet clutches.

What he said. You can find Motorcycle/ATV rated oil at most auto parts stores....even Wall Mart. I personally have used Castrol brand in all my motorcycles and ATVs for many years with good results. I usually buy the oil for the first oil change from Honda and keep all the recipts, while it still under warranty, just in case there is ever a oil or clutch related issue. No problem with the Honda oil, they're just not close by. I've been riding Hondas since about 1965, and never had a oil related problem yet. I would not use the regular automotive oil unless its some sort of emergency.

Last edited:
D

dankathyc

Feb 6, 2019
hurricane ut
Ownership

1. Other Brand
thanks guys- honda oil its going to be. new to wet clutches and was just hoping to use up what i had on hand.

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
i just go to Walmart, get the Valvoline ATV oil, i use that in my CRF450RX as well, no issues. and affordable.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
thanks guys- honda oil its going to be. new to wet clutches and was just hoping to use up what i had on hand.
You are wise to seek input before putting the wrong oil in that new ride..... I'm not sure the 1000 has a similar oil filter like others (simple cap over an internal paper filter), but if so, be sure to insert it in correctly (not backwards) and do not over tighten the cover plate.

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!