P1000 Engine Output - torque and horsepower

E

Ed_Dyer

Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2018
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is obviously late, by a few years. And, for all I know, duplicates something already here. In my defense, two years ago I did not know, or care, what a P1k was. On the bright side, this topic seems to bring out the best in people.

Cycle World (CW) magazine and Motorcycle.com (MCDC) published their dyno-test results of the Africa Twin (that’s a Honda motorcycle) when it came out for 2016. The engine has more than a just few similarities with the P1k powerplant, and probably with that of the Talon as well. I’ve not seen any dyno-test results for the 70-ish hp engines when put on four wheels, but here’s what the 90-ish hp version did on two wheels in the 2016 model year:
Honda 2016 CRF 1000L Africa Twin CW
Honda 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin MCDC

Horsepower here is rear-wheel horsepower, so engine horsepower is likely in the range of 95 +/-5.

The Africa Twin used dual throttle bodies and, I suspect, hotter cams, as opposed to the 2016 Pioneer version of the engine. I believe the Africa Twin started with 10:1 compression ratio in 2016, I’ve not seen what the Pioneer 1k squeezes.

Knowing nothing else, I would expect the P1k engine to have similar or slightly higher torque below 4000 rpm, a torque peak with less amplitude and at a lower rpm, and if a single throttle body, expect a slightly steeper roll-off above 6000 rpm. So for kicks and giggles, and for lack of anything better, I threw in a hypothetical torque curve for the P1k in green in the plots below.

If anyone wanted a graphic example of the relationship between torque and power, you could plot the Africa Twin torque data from CW and MCDC, and then add iso-power lines, in this case, for American readers, constant-horsepower lines, and it would look like this:

Honda Africa Twin x3a

"Torque" in ft-lbs (or lb-ft) is the vertical axis and "rpm" is the horizontal axis. Iso-power (constant horsepower) is the almost-vertical gently curved lines.

The iso-power lines make a lot more sense if you generate the plot starting at zero for both axes:
Honda Africa Twin x3b
where it's more obvious that, if you have zero torque, you have zero horsepower (regardless of rpm), and if you have zero rpm, you again have zero horsepower (regardless of torque). I haven’t had a chance lately to stare at the tachometer while running WOT (WOTB?), so the location (rpm) of the green peak could be off a bunch. And the same for the amplitude of the green peak, for that matter. Comments from left- and right-cheek accelerometers welcome, or from actual dyno data.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I believe it was 72 hp and 94 hp between the 2 to the crank. The main difference between the 2 is the cam & springs, intake box and exhaust. The pioneer also has a smaller bore plastic spacer between the air box hoses to throttle body adapter. Easy to open that up. Same compression, bore, stroke, throttle body, etc. Timing chain is a little wider on the Africa but the crank gear is part of the crank on the Pioneer and Africa is removeable so no way to swap that gear.

E

Ed_Dyer

Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2018
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pioneer dyno from HMF.
I added your results to my collection, which wasn't quite as easy as it should have been, with the artisitic approach to axis labelling that was employed.
The max. hp of 55 is quite a ways from 72, like at 76%. I've never seen any ATV/SxS test data before, but knowing nothing else, I would have guessed this specimen had a CVT. Granted, this is just one sample. I've seen chain-drive bikes get 85 to 90%, shaft drive a little less, so 76% is unexpected. Or is this typically how the world is with a sub-transmission and 4WD? The torque peak was about where (rpm) I felt it, so in that respect it's consistent with my reality.
Honda Africa Twin Pioneer dyno x4

Reactions: Honda1000-5

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!