P1000 EPS light and shift issue

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wanted to post an issue I had with my 2020 P1000-5.
The engine overheated but did not boil over, after a long steady steep climb up to a mountain summit. After cooling at top for ~45 minutes EPS light came on after descending back down mountain and transmission would not shift out of 1st gear. The speedometer was also showing 0 mph and EPS light would come on. There were no issues with steering however, and I did not notice the CE light coming on at all.
I let it set for a while with engine off and problem would go away for a while. After a few cycles of doing this, it would not recover at all and ended up getting towed back to camp (by a Polaris General no less). ☹️
After getting back to camp the problem was gone and I took it for a short ride with no issues. Rode it for about 80 miles the next day with no issues. Outside temperatures both days were high in the 50’s so it wasn’t hot out.
Definitely appears to be an overheating issue. One thing I did notice the second morning when I turned the key on was that the under-seat heater was running, I must have at some point hit the heater switch without knowing it. I had previously removed the heater duct work from the heater (but that’s another story), so heater was blowing hot air under the seat. Maybe this caused the problem???
Battery voltage, grounds and all fluid levels are all good.
The questions I have are why would an overheating issue cause this problem?
Does the inability to shift out of first gear cause the speedometer to show 0 mph and the EPS light to come on or are they separate issues?

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
getting towed back to camp (by a Polaris General no less). ☹️

Deff an overheat issue. With that heater duct blowing in the engine compartment thats like 15k +BTW of extra heat to an engine ,Subtrans, and electric sensors already under distress with a closed skid plate in the grade and speed your running, yes this can cause wacky $hit to anything electronic. I see it all the time in similar typs of conditions of heat on the electronics and engines on standby generators when people install them in a building thinking it will be better for it🤦🏻‍♂️. Fortunately, it sounds like you havent done any permanent damage. Just keep an eye on it. Id say be mindful of what your doing, conditions and whats running extra next time😉

Reactions: JenElio
G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First thing I did was disconnect heater. That ain't going to happen again.
Hopefully that was the root cause.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
First thing I did was disconnect heater. That ain't going to happen again.
Hopefully that was the root cause.
All good!
We all do things like that. It happens

Reactions: JenElio
G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Removing the heater is on the list of things to do. Don't use it and I don't like the way the heater hoses from the engine to heater run right in front of the rear tire.
Just need to figure out how connect the two engine heater hose ports together. How is this done on stock machines with no heater?
I'm assuming the outlet and inlet are connected together somehow???

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Removing the heater is on the list of things to do. Don't use it and I don't like the way the heater hoses from the engine to heater run right in front of the rear tire.
Just need to figure out how connect the two engine heater hose ports together. How is this done on stock machines with no heater?
I'm assuming the outlet and inlet are connected together somehow???
They are separate. One is a supply line and another is the return line. They most likely put T’s in there to split it off. Once u determine what one is which, just get you a barbed coupler the same diameter of the hose and put a hose clamp on either end to secure it tight. Basically putting it back to normal stock.
If your unsure, take a good detailed pic or two of what you have and post it up so we can try and determine whats what and whos who in baseball.
Dont forget to tag me or whoever so Ill know u posted again.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Remington Thanks. May be a while but I will send some pics when I get a round toit

Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!