Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also recently had the same issue.
Engine overheated on a very long steady climb up a mountain. After cooling at top of the mtn for ~45 minutes everything was fine, but EPS light came on after descending back down mountain and transmission would not shift out of 1st gear, speedometer was reading 0 mph. There were no issues with the power steering, it was still working fine, and engine temperature was back to normal.
Stopping and shutting off the engine to let it cool helped temporarily for a while then eventually would not recover at all. Got towed 15 miles of mostly roads back to camp :(. After getting back to camp, I took it for a short ride down the road with no issues. By then everything had completely cooled down. Temperatures were only in the high 50's outside all day.
Next morning no longer had an issue after riding all day about 70 miles of logging roads and trails with plenty of uphill climbs.
All grounds are good, and battery is at 13.5V when running, 12.5 not running.
Only suspect is that I found that the heater was turned on without me knowing it. I had previously removed the duct work to the dash, so the heater was blowing hot air under the seat maybe causing excessive heat.
Definitely sounds like an overheat issue as others have experienced.
Question I have is, are these symptoms related? If the EPS light comes on will the ECU prevent the transmission from shifting out of 1st and cause the speedometer to not display actual mph?
Yes

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What year are your machines? I thought Honda had dealt with the overheating issues that plagued the older machines?

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's a 2020 with about 2400 miles on it. Before this I have never had an overheat issue.
As I mentioned I still think it was the heater blowing hot air directly on the ECU.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!