P700 Exhaust chirp

S

Shoe3

Apr 6, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-4
i am having trouble with my 2018 700-4. The bike has about 200 miles on it. After the bike warms up, it chirps just like a belt is slipping at idle. It is driving me crazy. I think it is the exhaust shield. I have sprayed all the sub frame rubber grommets as suggested in another thread. It doesn’t seem to helpAny advice?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What might be easier is to temporarily remove the shields completely and see if it's gone.
Mine did this chronically if I didn't keep the clamps tight, but usually over a short temp span when warming up. Tighten the clamps often, and be prepared when they strip...which they do easily. I cut sections of header wrap and put under the contact points on the shields AND under the clamps ( between the clamp and shield). Make sure the clamp overruns are bent away from the shields. And also check the bolts where the front/rear sections go together. They loosen as well.

S

Shoe3

Apr 6, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-4
What might be easier is to temporarily remove the shields completely and see if it's gone.
Mine did this chronically if I didn't keep the clamps tight, but usually over a short temp span when warming up. Tighten the clamps often, and be prepared when they strip...which they do easily. I cut sections of header wrap and put under the contact points on the shields AND under the clamps ( between the clamp and shield). Make sure the clamp overruns are bent away from the shields. And also check the bolts where the front/rear sections go together. They loosen as well.

Thank you for taking the time to post. I took your advice and I have made a lot of progress with my chirp. I still have a few more clamps to do in the back, but the bike has quieted way down and I am much happier already. Thanks again!

Reactions: Tflynn and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you for taking the time to post. I took your advice and I have made a lot of progress with my chirp. I still have a few more clamps to do in the back, but the bike has quieted way down and I am much happier already. Thanks again!
Sure thing!
Those heat shields are the source of a lot of noise, i suspect. Including some resonance that gets credited to the engine.

Reactions: Deluxe700

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!