P700 Header Pipe separating from exhaust pipe

M

mahifishn

Nov 25, 2019
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 2018 (I believe) with 75.2 hours on it. I run it in 1.5-2 feet of water during duck season. This is my 2nd season running it. A few weeks ago it developed an exhaust leak. The header pipe separated at the clamp from the rear exhaust pipe. Almost like it slipped out. I bought new graphite ring, clamp and seal and replaced all the parts. This morning it slipped out again running in water. Is this common? And if so, what is the fix to stop it from happening again?

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2018 (I believe) with 75.2 hours on it. I run it in 1.5-2 feet of water during duck season. This is my 2nd season running it. A few weeks ago it developed an exhaust leak. The header pipe separated at the clamp from the rear exhaust pipe. Almost like it slipped out. I bought new graphite ring, clamp and seal and replaced all the parts. This morning it slipped out again running in water. Is this common? And if so, what is the fix to stop it from happening again?
That is normal for people running in water. The header actually warps so you would have to replace that.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
where exactly is it separating? it is normal when new. up to a point. if its the muffler then you have to see how it sits if its trying to pull apart try and make it where its not. if it isnt. then pull your spark arrestor and clean it. back pressure pushing them apart is the only thing i can think of. 2014 submarining since day 1. 4ft+ of water

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
where exactly is it separating? it is normal when new. up to a point. if its the muffler then you have to see how it sits if its trying to pull apart try and make it where its not. if it isnt. then pull your spark arrestor and clean it. back pressure pushing them apart is the only thing i can think of. 2014 submarining since day 1. 4ft+ of water

You bring up a good point on the spark arrestor Alan.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
You bring up a good point on the spark arrestor Alan.
Hmmm...you know, now that @Alan_Vander mentions it...
This is pretty common on the FB pages with mud guys, but I know the he has been in the slop from the start. So I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a 2014 have this issue? Remember, the 2015 and up have the catalytic converter behind that joint.

Reactions: Russ989
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
This was a constant problem with the wifes P7-4 when she had it. First I modified the muffler bracket to scoot the muffler closer to the exhaust header and replaced the gasket thing inside the male/female connection. Then it happened again and I welded on 2 tabs sticking out from the header side of the union, and 2 tabs sticking out from the muffler pipe side of the union. The tabs had holes drilled in them and I ran long bolts through the tabs from one side to the other and tightened them with nuts to close the union tight. Then I tack welded the nuts to the tabs so I only needed one socket to back the bolt out. It worked perfect after that. I know thats probably hard to visualize though with how I explained it. Wish I had pics.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
This was a constant problem with the wifes P7-4 when she had it. First I modified the muffler bracket to scoot the muffler closer to the exhaust header and replaced the gasket thing inside the male/female connection. Then it happened again and I welded on 2 tabs sticking out from the header side of the union, and 2 tabs sticking out from the muffler pipe side of the union. The tabs had holes drilled in them and I ran long bolts through the tabs from one side to the other and tightened them with nuts to close the union tight. Then I tack welded the nuts to the tabs so I only needed one socket to back the bolt out. It worked perfect after that. I know thats probably hard to visualize though with how I explained it. Wish I had pics.
What year was hers?

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
2015. Hers was snorkeled also, and I often wondered if that might lean the engine out and make the header pipe get hotter than a non snorkeled engine and make the header pipe easier to warp.
possibility but iv never had that problem with mine. but i also changed the spark arrestor on mine when i snorkeled it. and recently completely took it out. cause im having problems with keeping the bolts in the end of the exhaust.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
possibility but iv never had that problem with mine. but i also changed the spark arrestor on mine when i snorkeled it. and recently completely took it out. cause im having problems with keeping the bolts in the end of the exhaust.

Ahh yes I forgot to mention it was stock exhaust. No aftermarket arrestor or anything. I also took the stinger out of the end and made sure none of the internals were falling apart causing blockage. Broke the 3 little bolts in that process though and had to spin the stinger tip to the side a little and drill and tap 3 new holes lol

advertisement
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ahh yes I forgot to mention it was stock exhaust. No aftermarket arrestor or anything. I also took the stinger out of the end and made sure none of the internals were falling apart causing blockage. Broke the 3 little bolts in that process though and had to spin the stinger tip to the side a little and drill and tap 3 new holes lol
i went with 1 off eBay i think farmer and dg was the first ones to do it. its just a cap with metal screen. gives the bike a little more grunt. and doesnt really change sound very much

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is pretty common on the FB pages with mud guys, but I know the he has been in the slop from the start. So I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a 2014 have this issue? Remember, the 2015 and up have the catalytic converter behind that joint.
My 700-4 was a 2017, I never had any issues with the exhaust except for the noise from the heat shield clamps.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
could be why i never seen it on my 14. i forgot they added emissions crap to it. a

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
i went with 1 off eBay i think farmer and dg was the first ones to do it. its just a cap with metal screen. gives the bike a little more grunt. and doesnt really change sound very much

For the record, I think I had mentioned an interest in the eBay ones that were already out. @Farmer made a prototype and sent one to me. I think he was thinking of making one to sell, but dropped the ideal.

I ran it for a a day to do some testing. Took sound readings and did some testing on my favorite rock, with intentions on doing a video, but I just never got around to it. The spark arrester screen was probably not going to meet "legal" specs in a part of the country that burns down regularly, so I removed it until I could find some, and again, it just never got done.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
For the record, I think I had mentioned an interest in the eBay ones that were already out. @Farmer made a prototype and sent one to me. I think he was thinking of making one to sell, but dropped the ideal.

I ran it for a a day to do some testing. Took sound readings and did some testing on my favorite rock, with intentions on doing a video, but I just never got around to it. The spark arrester screen was probably not going to meet "legal" specs in a part of the country that burns down regularly, so I removed it until I could find some, and again, it just never got done.
lol. yeah probably not. man that was a long time ago.

Reactions: Farmer and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah...half a decade or so. Lot of good memories in that old 700.
And right on cue, one of those memories things on fb...

Screenshot 20191215 123944 Chrome

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

Yeah, the spark arrestor was iffy and for some reason the mod made the muffler glow red at night. I decided the small amount of low end wasn't worth the extra noise and possible issues. If I was 18, I would have run it till it blew!

Reactions: DG Rider
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah, the spark arrestor was iffy and for some reason the mod made the muffler glow red at night. I decided the small amount of low end wasn't worth the extra noise and possible issues. If I was 18, I would have run it till it blew!
never had that issue with mine.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Still have it in my toolbox.

Reactions: Alan_Vander
H

Hondagang

Dec 18, 2021
Flordia
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a 2021 and it has the same problem and no cats on it factor muffler header split to tail end

Reactions: DG Rider
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!