P700 Exhaust heat wrap

Buurma

Buurma

Jan 22, 2016
Northcoast
Has anyone removed the heat shields and used exhaust heat wrap? I know it's been cold out but I'm guessing in summer it's gonna get super hot on the front seat. I have never installed this stuff before but I do know the can am spyder guys who do this have no more engine bay heat problems.
Any input would be nice.

Download

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I did this and it helped. I over lapped it a lot to make it thick and it helped a lot. At the same time, I also installed some heat shield material. Below is a pic for reference. I didn't get a pic of the self adhesive heat shield. It was Dynomat or a something similar from Summit Racing.

Afaebbaa84de2368c52aa6b52e6bdf53

Buurma

Buurma

Jan 22, 2016
Northcoast
I did this and it helped. I over lapped it a lot to make it thick and it helped a lot. At the same time, I also installed some heat shield material. Below is a pic for reference. I didn't get a pic of the self adhesive heat shield. It was Dynomat or a something similar from Summit Racing.

View attachment 11844
Very cool how much heat wrap did you use? Like how much did you buy

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think a 50' roll is what I bought and kept using it until it ran out. It wrapped the catalytic converter and most of be muffler.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If I were to do it again, I would probably leave the OEM heat shield and wrap that as well. That means it wouldn't go as far though.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Also, paint it with their coating to protect it from mud if you plan on riding deep.

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
I did mine as well in (Red). and then applied red ceramic coating and then put shields back on. Also in the process of insulating the engine area.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heat wrap loves to promote rust so keep that in mind. It does a great job of containing the heat. It'll even give you a few tenths of a HP by keeping the exhaust gases hotter longer exiting the head. More stuff out means more stuff in. No big deal on NA but huge difference with turbo. My little Neon gained huge from using the stuff.

Buurma

Buurma

Jan 22, 2016
Northcoast
I don't plan on riding in mud or deep water.
For the most part I want to keep the exhaust heat out of the engine bay and away from my drivers seat.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't mean rust from water or mud, the wrap will trap moisture from condensation. I'm looking at using it also. Gotta do something to avoid the roasted butt syndrome I'm suffering from now lol.

advertisement
F

fireman377

Dec 1, 2015
used a material called cool it to coat all parts around engine compartment alst extended heat shield across to front of engine and added a fan to it that blows on headers helped a lot looking for shift boots to stop air flow into cab

F

fireman377

Dec 1, 2015
Heat wrap loves to promote rust so keep that in mind. It does a great job of containing the heat. It'll even give you a few tenths of a HP by keeping the exhaust gases hotter longer exiting the head. More stuff out means more stuff in. No big deal on NA but huge difference with turbo. My little Neon gained huge from using the stuff.
would powder coating pipes help

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just starting to warm up in my area and heat in the cab is a big problem for me, I hope someone comes up with a fix soon or Honda might have some cooked butt claims.

Buurma

Buurma

Jan 22, 2016
Northcoast
I'm sure you could use a lot of dynomat under the seat and on the kick panel to keep heat off.
It wouldn't hurt to install foam in the gaps between the seat and stuff.
I know when I did Polaris cabs they have a giant foam kit you need to install to keep drafts out.

Back on topic with the header wrap, I agree that header wrap would cause rust since it is fabric and would hold moisture to stone extent.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I've done mine one wraping the pipe and once wraping the heat shield.
Heat shield works better for me.
When buying the rap or coating remember that head pipe gets well over 1800deg.

Buurma

Buurma

Jan 22, 2016
Northcoast
I've done mine one wraping the pipe and once wraping the heat shield.
Heat shield works better for me.
When buying the rap or coating remember that head pipe gets well over 1800deg.
That temp seams pretty steep. Since my turbo car egt failsafe was 1250°
But nevertheless, safety first

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
1850 on the egt. Pipe glows Cherry red at cruse speed. If you don't believe it go and hold your throttle at 2000 rpms for a couple of Minutes the pipe will be red.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!