P700 Exhaust

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
So, my muffler has the issue that people have been talking about. Apparently the welds on the baffle break, and the baffle floats around inside. It bent the spark arrestor screen also.

I called my Honda dealer to see if they would do anything about it, and they are saying they don't have any recall info or technical bulletins. My unit is 3 years old. I asked them what a new muffler would be, and they said $236.

So, a few questions. Do I have any other recourse?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions on a good aftermarket exhaust. I really don't want it to be loud, but I'd like a good quality one that isn't going to rust anytime soon. The HMF looks nice, although a little pricey at around $400+. Should I expect to see any performance gains from an aftermarket, or is negligible?

Thanks,
John

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think any gains you might get will be so minimal that you won't notice. You could notice some aftermarket mufflers that choke the exhaust and you would notice a loss of performance.

I think you can do better than the stock and since you are already going to spend over $200 you might as well go all the way and get what you want. (for me that would be the quietest muffler available that does not degrade performance.

Some have used the other mufflers. Wait until you hear from them before you buy.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
For your criteria the HMF system is probably the way to go. I have a Yoshimura system and while I feel a performance gain it is very loud. People say the HMF is the quietest of the aftermarket pipes.

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
I was just on HMFs site and it says their muffler should be repacked every 40-50 hours of riding. Is this true? I most certainly wouldn't want to have to deal with that.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was just on HMFs site and it says their muffler should be repacked every 40-50 hours of riding. Is this true? I most certainly wouldn't want to have to deal with that.
That probably is overkill but would have to be done occasionally. It's easy to do but you're right it's kinda a pain

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
the hmf swamp series is a 100% stainless steel muffler inside and out with no packing it is also the quietest one barely lounder than a factory muffler

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
the hmf swamp series is a 100% stainless steel muffler inside and out with no packing it is also the quietest one barely lounder than a factory muffler

Thanks for the clarification bigc. I contacted them and they said the same thing. Their website also mentions:

Not tuning your machine will void the warranty of your HMF exhaust

Also, I found it on Ebay with the following statement: HMF EFI CONTROLLER REQUIRED.

Will I need this tuner, which is another $280, or will I be OK without it?

Reactions: Guito
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the clarification bigc. I contacted them and they said the same thing. Their website also mentions:

Not tuning your machine will void the warranty of your HMF exhaust

Also, I found it on Ebay with the following statement: HMF EFI CONTROLLER REQUIRED.

Will I need this tuner, which is another $280, or will I be OK without it?
No you don't need it. It would help performance but your machine will run fine without.

Reactions: Simpleman
D

DWK

Mar 24, 2017
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
So, my muffler has the issue that people have been talking about. Apparently the welds on the baffle break, and the baffle floats around inside. It bent the spark arrestor screen also.

I called my Honda dealer to see if they would do anything about it, and they are saying they don't have any recall info or technical bulletins. My unit is 3 years old. I asked them what a new muffler would be, and they said $236.

So, a few questions. Do I have any other recourse?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions on a good aftermarket exhaust. I really don't want it to be loud, but I'd like a good quality one that isn't going to rust anytime soon. The HMF looks nice, although a little pricey at around $400+. Should I expect to see any performance gains from an aftermarket, or is negligible?

Thanks,
John
Im having the same issue with my exhaust as you did. What did you end up doing?

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
Im having the same issue with my exhaust as you did. What did you end up doing?
I purchased the HMF Swamp Muffler with the Fuel Controller. Way more than I wanted to spend, but happy with it. I have only had it out twice since I installed it, but runs good. Feels a little stronger, but not really sure.

advertisement
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
That sucks because I have heard of many people with the 2014 have muffler issues and they were fixed for free. Honda knew they had a problem with welding. I would call another shop or two. And ask them. It was talked about many times on the other site in the beginnings

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
I bought a new 500 foreman in 2009 at southern honda Powersports in Chattanooga and it had I believe a 6 month factory warranty. Within that 6 month warranty period I had two mufflers installed and the warranty covered both of them. Kept it a couple of years then traded for a rhino. I was ticked that a brand new machine rattled like a tin can. Called the dealer up and they fixed twice under the warranty. My 700-4 is 3 years old this month with no issues yet. Guess it's my turn now.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!